User Tag List

Ram

This is a discussion on Ram within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Which ram is the best for buy?

Closed Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 10:50 PM   #1
Troubled

Which ram is the best for buy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2018, 06:26 AM   #2
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team

We have no clue.....as we need your system specs to determine that. If you asking about what brand is better....that's debatable as everyone is partial to their own brand.

Personally, I like Corsair and Gskill for brands.
Old 07-21-2018, 07:12 AM   #3
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

I vote for Crucial and Gskill (both Micron ram) but as stated we need to know more to intelligently answer you. Laptop or desktop? Main functions i.e. gaming or word processing?

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2018, 09:15 AM   #4
Visiting Tech

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

I really don't have a brand favorite. I will buy Crucial, Mushkin, Corsair, Kingston, GSkill - just about any popular brand, as long as it meets the specs of RAM listed on the motherboard's QVL (qualified vendors list).

I note there really are very few actual memory "chip" makers - primarily Samsung, SK Hynix and Micron. They then sell those chips to be mounted on sticks and sold under various brand names.

Actually, it is very hard to find RAM that is not warrantied for life.

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

───────────────────────────
Old 07-22-2018, 10:44 AM   #5
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_Bright View Post

Actually, it is very hard to find RAM that is not warrantied for life.
Bill: I've read the Guarantees (Warranty) and they seem to be for life only on workmanship and material defects, in fact they require return in the original non-static bag at the owners expense. I wouldn't expect a lifetime out of a stick, just 5-8 years out of a good one.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 07-22-2018, 03:09 PM   #6
Visiting Tech

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

in fact they require return in the original non-static bag at the owners expense.I have found that is typically shyster... err... legal talk. I have had to return RAM before and while they wanted anti-static bags, the were not picky. Off-brands may not be so forgiving.

Lifetime is a relative term. We cannot expect them to last 70 or 80 years but there are 10 - 12 year computers around here still chugging along with original RAM just fine.

That fact is, most RAM is retired long before it fails as most people just don't keep their computers longer 5 - 6 years before upgrading/replacing.

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

───────────────────────────
Old 07-23-2018, 12:34 AM   #7
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

Agree with Bill...

While there are legal jargon in they actual terms, they've never turned down any request, keep in mind to return in pairs if you're using paired RAMs.

I've returned old DDR2 RAMs some DDR3s with lifetime warranty, just wrapped in bubble wrap, some I had to ship to Taiwan (Expensive) :( but they promptly replaced them and paid for return shipping (refurbished of course)... For my country, they've now tied up with freight forwarders/bulk shippers, so shipping is comparatively cheaper..

Old 08-05-2018, 10:01 AM   #8
Registered Member

Optimally you want ram that matches the bus speed in mhz to your motherboard. The motherboard determines the potential of computer performance.
Closed Thread