Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

RaidMax RX-630SS PS Making Noise

This is a discussion on RaidMax RX-630SS PS Making Noise within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. It's making this noise like the fan is hitting something ... when I push up on the bottom of the

Closed Thread

Old 10-16-2016, 04:05 PM   #1
Registered Member

My System

Arrow

It's making this noise like the fan is hitting something ... when I push up on the bottom of the PS towards the top of the case the noise stops. When I let it go it starts again. Is is going bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2016, 07:22 AM   #2
Visiting Tech

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Quote:
Is is going bad.
It could be, but it could also be something as simple as a loose wire scraping against the fan blade.

Try CAREFULLY inserting a wooden glue/Popsicle stick into the PSU and lightly touch the center hub of the fan while it is making the noise. This will cause the speed of the fan to slow down just a little. If the problem is caused by the fan bearings or the fan blades hitting something, the sound of the noise will change in step with the rotation speed of the blades.

If the sound remains the same when the fan speed is reduced then the noise could be coming for an induction coil (called coil whine) or from loose plates in a transformer (typically causes a buzz noise). If a coil or transformer, the PSU may last for years, or days - no way of telling.

WARNING! Anything that plugs into the wall can KILL! With a computer, that's the power supply. I do not recommend unqualified non-technicians opening up a PSU. If you cannot see an offending wire in the way of the blades you can carefully push away, it is best to just save your pennies and buy a new PSU - then use this one as an emergency spare.

For new PSUs, I recommend getting at least an 80 PLUS Bronze certified PSU and one from a reliable maker. I like EVGA and Seasonic. If you avoid the budget lines from Corsair and Antec, those are good too.

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

───────────────────────────
Old 10-17-2016, 03:32 PM   #3
Networking Team |Tech

Hi there,

Make sure that the power supply is seated on your computer. Is there enough screws holding up the power supply? How old is your computer may I ask?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2016, 06:01 PM   #4
Registered Member

My System

Arrow

Not real sure about the age of the computer ... at least 5 years old. 4 screws are holding up the PS. I purchase another PS and will use this one as a back up.
Old 10-20-2016, 07:52 AM   #5
Visiting Tech

My System

Quote:
4 screws are holding up the PS
That's normal (as per the ATX Form Factor industry standard).

Old 10-25-2016, 08:22 AM   #6
Registered Member

My System

Wellsir ... I found a top screw was missing from my case which would explain why the noise would stop when I pushed up on the power supply. Maybe the PS is okay. What bothers me when I installed a replacement there was no noise despite the top case screw being missing.

Guess I will just use it as a backup P/S.
Old 10-25-2016, 08:43 AM   #7
Visiting Tech

My System

If one screw was missing, maybe others are loose. I would go around and make all are tight. You don't want a screw to fall out and into the power supply or onto (or under) your motherboard.

Closed Thread