Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

Quick PSU Question

This is a discussion on Quick PSU Question within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I'm having an issue with a computer I'm currently working on. The system boots up just fine, but there seems

Closed Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 01:43 PM   #1
Registered Member

I'm having an issue with a computer I'm currently working on. The system boots up just fine, but there seems to be an issue with the fan on the PSU not running. I've made every attempt to clean the dust bunnies away from the fan without opening the actual PSU itself. Unfortunately, that did not do the trick.

The question now is the PSU just ticking away to it's inevitable end? Or will it be ok to continue running this PSU in the system in the condition it's currently in?

Thanks for any assistance you can give.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2011, 01:50 PM   #2
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

What brand and model PSU?
Some PSU's have a fan set up to only run at a predetermined temp.
If it's just a generic PSU that won't be the case and I would replace sooner rather then later.
Old 06-16-2011, 01:56 PM   #3
Registered Member

Hmm. Ok, thanks for the quick response.

I'm fairly positive it's a generic PSU. I'm fairly certain it was a stock PSU that is came with. But, I would have recheck the brand.

Thanks for the information again wrench97!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2011, 02:09 PM   #4
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

What brand and model PC?
Old 06-17-2011, 12:25 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench97 View Post
What brand and model PC?
Dell Dimension 3000
Old 06-17-2011, 02:31 AM   #6
Registered Member

My System

That PC comes with a 250w PSU. Like Wrench97 says, rather upgrade it before it's too late and it overheats and takes other components with it, as what happens in most cases when a PSU fails.
Old 06-17-2011, 02:53 AM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

My System

The fan helps to remove the heat generated from the PSU, and in the case of a proper PSU they will change according to the temperature. So the hotter it becomes, the faster the fan should go. Some PSU's might not have that level of control though, and might just run full blast the entire time at the risk of more wear and tear, plus noise. You never know how bad of a job some hardware could do if you buy it from a manufacturer trying to cut on costs in order to make a profit.

If the fan isn't working, and your PSU gets too hot, it might overheat. Then who knows what issues you might face. You should get a replacement one, even if it is a second hand one that still works just fine for the previous person. I assume your computer isn't too valuable to you, so not going all out for a high quality PSU probably isn't what you are after. Personally, I sold my last one one (430W) for 20 NZD.
Old 06-17-2011, 06:59 AM   #8
Registered Member

My System

We can only recommend PSU's on the basis that we know what your PC internals are ie CPU/Graphics card etc. We recommend high quality Seasonic Made (XFX / Corsair / Seasonic) PSU's of which the GS and CX Models from Corsair are not recommended. Please post full system specs. A Minimum of 550w is recommended for a PCI-E Graphics card.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:05 AM   #9
Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by x86computing View Post
Dell Dimension 3000
The PSU in that unit should run all the time. If the fan is inoperable the PSU needs to be replaced.
If it is using Onboard Graphics, a 430W Corsair will be fine.
CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 V2 $45: Newegg.com - CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 V2 430W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

Closed Thread