Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

question about RAM memory ??

This is a discussion on question about RAM memory ?? within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. what are the difference between diff RAM memories SDRAM (single sided) and SDRAM (double side) DDR and DDR2 can i

Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 06:33 AM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

what are the difference between diff RAM memories

SDRAM (single sided) and SDRAM (double side)

DDR and DDR2

can i use one RAM with another in diff slot ..

how cud i check how many pin RAM memory has ...

what other things i need to consider before upgrading RAM memory

any details would be much appreciated ..

thanks

Sid
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2007, 07:14 AM   #2

DDR Ram works twice as fast as SDRAM because it read and writes on the up and down cycle as compared to SDRAM which only does one at a time. The difference between DDR and DDR2 is speed and technology. All DDR2 is a faster more advanced version of DDR. DDR has bus rates of 200/266/333/400 Mbps while DDR2 has rates of 400/533/667 Mbps. In most cases you can mix RAM types such as DDR and DDR2 but we warned that it will down shift to faster RAM to work with the slower. Your best bet and most reliable solution is to buy similar sticks. Most SDRAM is 168 pin which has two notches in it while most DDR is 184 pin with one notch.

184 Pin DDR

168 Pin SDRAM
Old 05-03-2007, 02:41 AM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Dont misunderstand '95-
He said you can mix and match ram of the same gender, such as ddr or ddr2, but not mix and match ddr and ddr2 ram.
With todays picky boards, even mixing "same type" ram is getting difficult, stick with the same brand and speed.
Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
overclocking possibilities
hi, i have a 1.5ghz p4 and i was wondering if anyone could tell me how much i could overclock it safely and how? thanx Lem02
lem02 Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU 12 12-11-2009 04:30 AM
RAM video + explanation
I'd like to add these for some good information on computers in general. For those of you want to know the DIY and have curiosity in this matter to learn further about computer hardware and where it started, so how the various "traditions" carry on, some very useful and recommended reading....
Kalim Dead-Sea Scrolls 4 01-20-2008 01:10 PM
What ram to get
Hello I am aiming to upgrade my computer. I have a windows xp SP2. My CPU is a Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.66GHz, My current ram or so it says is 224. I am wanting to go to 1 gig. I would like to know if i can do this and if i can. How do i know what to get. Do I want DDR or what I am really...
Frozencrow RAM and Power Supply Support 23 03-25-2007 05:00 AM
[RAM] Before You Buy Memory
Before you buy memory sticks we strongly advise you use a manufacturer that has a website memory configurator. Gone are the days when you can slap in any old memory stick as long as the specs match! Several motherboard models wont accept sticks that have memory "chips" on both sides of the...
linderman Troubleshooting Tips and Tricks 0 12-29-2006 07:37 AM
Problem with software
I am working on a program for work that does dispatching of units to law enforcement calls. When I try to load it at home to work on it I get a run time error 53 file not found message. I did a debug check and got this printout. Can anyone help. Sorry about the length but I figured you...
Beerwolf Programming 2 08-29-2005 03:45 PM