Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

psu requirement

This is a discussion on psu requirement within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a new PC arriving today, hoping to get this old 500GB IDE drive from my broken PC and

Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 12:17 AM   #1

Mistake

I have a new PC arriving today, hoping to get this old 500GB IDE drive from my broken PC and put it in, but not sure if it's compatible with special connectors I need to buy or no chance at all? Or if it would be horribly power inefficient? If so I wouldn't mind just using a disk enclosure to get the data off and recycle the old thing, but half a TB is a pity to waste just because it's an old connector type I think.

edit: This is the new PC with the name of the motherboard etc:
https://overclockers.co.uk/showproduc...odid=FS-108-OK
- I'm still a little hazy on how hard drive connections work I don't understand the master slave thing at all for example
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2008, 12:26 AM   #2
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

most computers motherboards that (all I think have the Ide connector on them)

can you post the specs of the new computer
PSU
ram
motherboard
CPU
video card

and no old IDE hard drives won't break your comp. The thing you need to worry about is what power needs you components have (mostly video card) and the quality of the PSU you have

if the new motherboard doesn't have a psu connector than maybe consider buying this
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817145656
Old 12-06-2008, 12:28 AM   #3

Ah I was editing the specs in at the same time as you were writing post it seems - hope that helps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2008, 12:33 AM   #4
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

its a bad link remake please
Old 12-06-2008, 12:38 AM   #5

Oops sorry, typo'd overclockers
(again no copy and paste on Wii browser sadly)
Old 12-06-2008, 12:46 AM   #6
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

right below where it says ABIT on the motherboard that is your IDE connector.

Very nice computer you could probably play crysis on everything max setting with AA on 16x
Ihave the same case as yours - Antec 900 make sure you buy a can of compressed air to blow out the dust as it sucks up lots of dust on regular intervals

here is the place to put the IDe connector
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ip35-pro-xe_top_500.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	38383  
Old 12-06-2008, 12:47 AM   #7
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

if you have dvd/cd connected to the ide port then use a pci ide card for the drive

Old 12-06-2008, 12:54 AM   #8
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

ohh yea that computer comes with a 650 watt PSU totally insufficient

you need something like this
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...Power%20Supply

or this
Old 12-06-2008, 01:00 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcninjaguy View Post
right below where it says ABIT on the motherboard that is your IDE connector.
Thanks!

Quote:
Very nice computer you could probably play crysis on everything max setting with AA on 16x
Hoping so. At one point I was gonna go with a new i7 and asus rampage ddr3 motherboard and watercooling from 3xs.scan.co.uk (the Lian Li gaming one) but came to my senses as it's like 5x the money and I talked to overclockers on the phone and the cooler + fan on the case I chose is apparently not that loud at all (reason I was interested in watercooling, no OMINOUS HUM).

Quote:
Ihave the same case as yours - Antec 900
Oh I chose the 1200 option since it was the new version, did the extra 2x2GB (twinx) dominator ram upgrade to up to 8GB total, and got a soundblaster x-fi titanium and blu-ray read/writer fitted too :) This is gonna be my first proper gaming PC with a decent graphics card etc, really looking forward to it. May get the dell 30" 3008wfp monitor too, Scan.co.uk've got em for under a grand now and seems a waste to get all hi-def kitted out and keep using the ancient 17" CRT that came free with an old Tiny PC at least 8 years ago (though, it's held out pretty damn well)

Quote:
make sure you buy a can of compressed air to blow out the dust as it sucks up lots of dust on regular intervals
With my old PC I've been using dyson hoover the bit that comes out for cleaning stairs with a sock over the end to decrease the suction, works pretty well though hard to fit in the smaller areas (but thankfully it doesn't seem to be *too* hard to remove stuff to clean em, especially now that I've learnt most of it for the future :) :))

Quote:
Originally Posted by dai View Post
if you have dvd/cd connected to the ide port then use a pci ide card for the drive
Hmm not sure, might have, it's coming with a DVD+RW and a Blu Ray RW as mentioned above, don't know how it's gonna be setup til it gets here though, I figured it would be better to post in advance so I'm ready.
(I thought it was going to be today but I just phoned DHL and sadly seems they don't deliver on saturdays, so even though it was posted Friday they hold it at the depot til Monday :()

I'm not sure what you mean about an IDE card, is that like a card that plugs into one of the PCI slots that you then plug a hard disk into?
Old 12-06-2008, 01:28 AM   #10
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

yea you don't need a IDE card your motherboard comes with an IDE connector

I really suggest you buy a better PSU. It will be working at 100% and will die much much sone than the one I listed

with a 850watt PSU it should be using about 50-60% power usage when gaming thereby making your comp last longer
or the higher end
Old 12-06-2008, 02:01 AM   #11

Damn, wish I knew about that beforehand and I could've added it to my order like with the blu-ray and sound card, they fitted it in for me. Probly would have got refunded the difference in the PSUs too, they offered to with the new DVD+-RW (but I said I want to keep it in, it's faster than my old one anyway). Oh well.

I'll order it then, thanks a lot for that tip I had no idea it'd be close to burning out (kinda got blinded by the Corsair word, figured it must be fine then as they do high end gaming memory etc) - how complicated is a PSU swap though, as much as motherboard?
It's annoying because I bought a readymade PC hoping I wouldn't need to get too stuck in on the technical side of things but oh well, gotta learn sometime ;)
Old 12-06-2008, 02:14 AM   #12
TSF Enthusiast

My System

mac is right about the psu. The Corsair 650tx is a great power supply, but, the HD 4870x2 sucks down power like no other. I'm surprised they would sell it as part of the package, guess they figure it'll last out the warranty period eh.

On a side note, gotta love that line, " Arctic Silver 5 Heatsink compound professionally hand installed by our technicians " How else do you put it on?
Old 12-06-2008, 02:31 AM   #13

How long would you give before it dies without my extras?

And how long in comparison with the doubled RAM to 8gig, the Pioneer blu-ray read/writer (not got the number on hand but it's the most expensive one on their site I think), antec 1200 case (instead of default 300 - yeah, it's a bit dodgy how they show a pic of the 900 but I ignored that, it does change when you select to something else then back to 300) and the creative x-fi titanium sound card?

If by default it's built to die in under a year or something, that's pretty dodgy - I'm hoping that's not the case, but that's what you two are making it sound like?? And if it's even worse with my version, you'd think they would have told me it was going to self-destruct in a few months...

I may well be going over to https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=8 to bring this up with them myself or phoning them and/or trading standards depending on just how bad this is...
Old 12-06-2008, 01:47 PM   #14
TSF Enthusiast

My System

It could last some time. The psu puts out 52 amps on a single 12 volt rail, which is enough to power the card, but cpu's also require a largish amount too. You'll be running closer to capacity than I would be comfortable with personally.

I went to a power supply calculator (the one from the sticky) and put in some numbers. Came up with 515 watts, but didn't use any capacitor aging since it's a new psu. The aging value is usually 10% per year. The standard is to select 30% for aging, which would be a touch over 680 watts. Then you add a further percentage for overhead, say another 30% or so, as it is better to run at 60 or 70% capacity to reduce the load on the psu for longer, cooler, and quieter life. Here's the calculator - https://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine

btw, the 1200 is a great case.

edit - ran the calculator for this system, used 10% for capacitor aging and did not factor in overhead. Came up with 326 watts. I'm very comfortable running that with a 750tx. I also didn't add in any overclocking as I run at stock most of the time, except when I take a day or three for "testing" purposes.
Old 12-06-2008, 01:57 PM   #15
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

So how much is your budget?

The one thing a computer place will always, ALWAYS skimp on is the power supply and before I found this forum I never had the outlook of what underpowered stuff they give out before.

I've had my corsair 750TX for a while (a year and a half or so)

with the 850w PSU I expect it to last as long as you like the computer so around 2- 5 years. The 750 watt is kinda effy.

I don't know why you choose 8 gigs?
my system uses up around close 3 gigs at max and that having a game running like crysis and a bunch of background apps on but I guess overkill is fun too.

That antec 1200 has a dust filter in the front, its better than the 900 as its taller, has more fans and the dust filters in front of the intake fans.
Old 12-06-2008, 05:27 PM   #16

Would be comfortable with spending £200ish ( www.xe.com for live currency rates ) , I'm guessing more than enough for any PSU though.... I really would prefer to be more efficient on the power though, rather than it being a wasteful energy monster, I'm not too good on the workings of electricity or what watts actually means other than "more power" ;)

But if it's really necessary to have 200w more up to 850w rather than the 650w to avoid component damage happening over a relatively short time so be it, disappointing though I was thinking nearer the 1000w range was for mad stuff like 3 cards in SLI

The first PSUs I got linked in the other guys post above the 750w one and 850w one, he said the 750w one is higher quality, that's not always the case right and there are higher quality 850w ones too?
Old 12-06-2008, 07:27 PM   #17
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

have a read
https://www.techsupportforum.com/f210...on-192217.html

Old 12-06-2008, 09:28 PM   #18

33C, and it's started acting up again,
Old 12-06-2008, 09:28 PM   #19
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

its just a transformer so if the computer isbn't playing games than its not sucking more energy
newer parts are actually more efficent than the older ones while your just on the desktop
If you have a large fan but its on a really low setting but it has really conductive metals in it, do you think a smaller fan runing full speed with poor conductive metals but pulling the same air is going to more efficient just because its smaller?

I think you should go for the 850w it'lll be better for you in the long run
I was talking about amp and rails for the wrong reasons should've just said a PCI-E video card like the 4870X2 probably needs at least 20-25amps on the line its using
Old 12-06-2008, 09:42 PM   #20

You think that 850W one you linked before I should get? You said the 750W one was better, there's not a higher quality 850W one?

I'm not sure about what amps or watts mean really, or what the difference is :\ I am reading through that FAQ now though thanks dai, hoping I'll be able to understand it all, it's not reading like it's really aimed at beginners to hardware so far doesn't explain the amps/watts thing actually means etc, but I am reading it. I want to learn ;)
Closed Thread