Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

PSU or Mobo? Which is the cuprit?

This is a discussion on PSU or Mobo? Which is the cuprit? within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. All... My Dell Gen3 XPS system bit the dust this week. I'm putting a new system together in the next

Closed Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 05:20 PM   #1
Registered Member

My System

All...

My Dell Gen3 XPS system bit the dust this week. I'm putting a new system together in the next day or so, so I'm not terribly worried about this, but I'm wondering if I can salvage the XPS and components.....

I pulled the video card (ATI X800XT) when I started having freeze-up issues last week. I popped in a GTS 250 and ran for a bit. Wound up getting nervous that the 460W PSU wouldn't power the GTS, so I popped the ATI back in. Froze again, and this time... no boot possible. I pulled videocard, ram, sound card, fans and all.... and I was about to see if I could get some life into the system by hooking up a 375W PSU when I pulled out the cables from the mobo, lookie what I see:

Plug from PSU

It's hard to see, but it looks a little brown here too:

Mobo Slot

Now, the question is... PSU or Mobo went? I guess the only way to find out is to hook up the PSU and run barebones. The problem: Dell is a bunch of f**ktards. (excuse my french). The PSU they put in this unit is, not easily accessible, it's bottom mounted, and it's not a standard box. The cables run the entire bottom length of the box, up the side panel, and back to the MoBo. The 375W unit is your standard boxy PSU with about 6 inches of cable. I'm not having and easy time (and might not even be able to at ALL) hooking up the connectors. So, before I pull the MoBo out and do a benchtest, anyone have any suggestions?

NEVER EVER EVER!!!! will I buy a Dell again. (until I'm too old to know better.... )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2009, 05:34 PM   #2
Enthusiast

My System

putting the GTX250 in the dell might have screwed the psu and the psu may have taken the mobo with it. The only way to tell is to bench test it. I am not sure why you would want to salvage the dell components as they probably wont do your newer system any good.
Old 09-17-2009, 05:41 PM   #3
Registered Member

My System

Green-

Nah, I don't want to put any of the dell parts into the newer system, I just thought I might have a backup PC for whatever (internet/work) and I could leave the new system untouched for gaming only.

It's not a concern really, I guess I'll just putz around with it at some point.

*EDIT - You don't think I F'ed up the GTS250 by the way?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2009, 05:46 PM   #4
Enthusiast

My System

I doubt it but the power it needs could have screwed the psu and the psu inturn screwed the mobo and probably the ram too,
Old 09-18-2009, 05:37 AM   #5
Registered Member

My System

Well, I hope not. So the very story goes:

I was gaming, and I started getting weird screen flickers, then I just completely froze up. I had to pull the plug. I tried to reboot, nothing. This was all without touching anything inside (the ATI still in there). I had been hearing sounds from the card for a while, just thought it was getting old. I went out and bought the GTS, put that in, it worked. I used it maybe for about 1 hour testing an online game in a very graphics intensive area. I shut down, rebooted, it seemed fine. I left the PC off for the night, and the next day, I put the ATI back in (as mentioned, for fear I'd damage the new card). I booted fine, played a bit, then had to attend to other matters. I left the PC on this time. When I came back up a few hours later to check something, it was frozen again. That was enough for me. So, I'm hoping this was an existing condition prior to anything related to the GTS. The specs on the GTS say it needs a 450W minimum PSU with 12V rating with 24A. The PSU in the XPS was 460W, 12V, but I'm not sure on amps.... thinking it's 17 from the label. Anyway.... I'm assuming it's basically toasted. So, I'm not going to putz with it any more I think. For the time and money (new PSU for that case is cheap, but a hassle really) + maybe a MoBo and maybe RAM.... I just think If I wanted a third machine, I'd just build a mini internet/email rig for that price.

Anyway, thanks for the input.
Old 09-18-2009, 06:01 AM   #6
Enthusiast

My System

yes but your forgetting about eveything else you have.

460w psu vs 450w graphics card vs 75w CPU vs 10w Hard drive vs 100w soundcard = problem.

You definetly need a decent psu for starters I would recommend 600 - 750w and a good brand like cosair or seasonic
Closed Thread