Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

PSU For XPS 8500

This is a discussion on PSU For XPS 8500 within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello folks, I'm looking to replace my power supply in my XPS 8500 desktop, but I want to hear some

Closed Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 11:22 AM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to sens08 Send a message via Yahoo to sens08

Hello folks, I'm looking to replace my power supply in my XPS 8500 desktop, but I want to hear some suggestions or know if this unit that I'm currently looking at online will be suitable for my system:

Thermaltake SMART Series SP-550PCBUS 550W ATX 12V 2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Newegg.ca

A brief overview of my system:
Intel Core i7-3770 CPU @ 3.4 GHz
12.0 GB of RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GT 620

Current PSU: Dell Model AC460AD-01, 460W

I'm not thinking of upgrading anything else right now, but having an option there would be nice if need be down the road.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2016, 05:56 PM   #2
Registered Member

Also came across this one on Newegg:
CORSAIR CX series CX500 500W 80 PLUS BRONZE Active PFC ATX12V & EPS12V Power Supply - Newegg.ca
There is also other a 600w and 750w listed to, but I'm thinking between the 500 and 600.
Old 12-10-2016, 08:20 AM   #3
Visiting Tech

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

A top quality 500 - 550 is plenty big enough. A larger PSU will not hurt anything, but your wallet.

It used to be if it said Corsair on the label, it was top quality. But they've cut back in recent years on their budget lines, which includes the CX series. I don't recommend Corsair PSUs unless you go for their top tier lines, which are still excellent.

If I had to choose from only those 2 you listed, I would take the TT. But I personally like EVGA supplies and have been using them in all our builds lately. SeaSonics are also highly recommended. I prefer Gold certified. While they do tend to cost more, they are also more efficient than Bronze supplies. So over the life of the supply, they will consume significantly less energy and generate significantly less heat.

Any in this list would be great but I note the SeaSonic G Series 550W Gold is currently being offered for $55 after $15 rebate, with free shipping. I think I would jump on that one if I were looking for a supply today.

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

───────────────────────────
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2016, 10:23 AM   #4
Registered Member

Thanks for your reply Bill_Bright, I will give your post consideration and make a decision sometime soon!
Old 12-21-2016, 04:57 PM   #5
Registered Member

Just getting back about the topic, I finally received the PSU today and got a Cooler Master n200 case last week, which I immediately started doing the transfer over to the new one. Took me a while to complete but everything went nicely after I found out about the front panel pin configuration. My machine (XPS 8500) is now up and running smoothly & quietly. I also had another pc on hand to look up a few things on the net before I energized the system. I did went with the CX600 after, just hope I don't regret it but it seems to worked out fine now and I'll keep the SesSonic model in mind for next time as I do have another pc here at the home.
Old 12-22-2016, 09:46 AM   #6
Visiting Tech

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Great! Glad it all works and thanks for the update.

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

───────────────────────────
Closed Thread