Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

PSU fan spins to max speed when Windows starts with new SSD

This is a discussion on PSU fan spins to max speed when Windows starts with new SSD within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello! I've been googling and troubleshooting for about 5 hours straight, so I guess it's time to make a post

Closed Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 09:24 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello!

I've been googling and troubleshooting for about 5 hours straight, so I guess it's time to make a post of my own to try and solve this.

So I currently have an existing SDD and HDD, recently picked up a second SSD, and now my power supply's fan is loud and obnoxious. I checked all my diagnostics and nothing is overheating. Unplugging the new SSD will make it run normally (which is fairly quiet).

There are no settings in my BIOS to control the speed. Special note, while I'm in the BIOS menu the fan is quiet, it only starts spinning up to be obnoxiously loud once Windows actually starts.

Things I've tried already:
-Using a different power cable from the PSU to new SSD
-swapping the power inputs with the new SSD and existing SSD
-resetting the CMOS with a special jumper on the motherboard (which actually cured this problem once before, I think).
-changing the SATA port the SSD is plugged into
-multiple restarts and device scans and attempted device fixes
-upgrading SSD firmware
-windows 10 is fully up to date
-installing official management software from the manufacturer

I'm sure there's some other things I've tried but I can't remember, it's been a long day.
(i don't have easy access to what brand of PSU is, there's lots of stuff in the way but if entirely necessary I will fetch that detail.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2017, 05:23 AM   #2
Elite Commander

My System

Send a message via MSN to VividProfessional

i would try replacing the heatsink paste.
Old 08-31-2017, 06:38 AM   #3
Registered Member

The factors of the fan returning to normal when the SSD is unplugged coupled by the fact that its the PSU fan, not the CPU fan, make me hesitant to mess with that area. I know paste isn't terribly expensive but I don't see the correlation. I'm willing to be proven wrong, if there's something I've missed here.

I also realized I made a typo in the topic title with my phone and I can't change it ;_;
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2017, 06:52 AM   #4
Elite Commander

My System

Send a message via MSN to VividProfessional

my mistake i thought it was cpu.
have you tried another sata (data) cable?
Old 08-31-2017, 06:54 AM   #5
Registered Member

I might not have a spare, but I can try that when I get home.
Old 08-31-2017, 07:14 AM   #6
- Microsoft Support
BSOD Kernel Dump Analyst

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeY k View Post
-installing official management software from the manufacturer
Samsung's Magician? If so, don't use their 'Power plan', uninstall it and reset the Windows Power plan to default and tweak that manually.
Old 08-31-2017, 07:24 AM   #7
Registered Member

No, it was from Crucial; the Storage Executive.
Old 08-31-2017, 11:31 AM   #8
- Microsoft Support
BSOD Kernel Dump Analyst

My System

Okay, I can't see how that would make such changes (not impressed with it being Java-based though), the Momentum Cache feature looks good for reducing SSD writes.

Check through the settings/details on you current Power plan anyway, maybe reset it and tweak it in case something else has triggered a bug in it; the BIOS hands over control of the fans to Windows during boot.
Old 08-31-2017, 12:21 PM   #9
Registered Member

Especially since downloading the software was an attempted fix, it was already happening.

So I'm actually the difference between the SATA ports on my Motherboard and there's one more thing I can try; apparently it's plugged into a 3.0 GB/s when it calls for 6.0 GB/s, so I'll try yet another port along with a different cable if i can find one, and then if that doesn't work see if i can mess with the power settings.
Old 08-31-2017, 01:09 PM   #10
- Microsoft Support
BSOD Kernel Dump Analyst

My System

Also check that there isn't now a free PWM connector wire somewhere internally that may have been connected previously, breaking such a connection would drive the connected fan to 100%, rather than allowing the BIOS/Windows to control the speed.
Old 08-31-2017, 01:16 PM   #11
Registered Member

Good to know. I'm certain every wire coming out of the back of the PSU goes to at least one device though the connectors often have multiple heads and I can't fit everything. The new SSD actually takes the last slot in this one cord, and trying to put it on its own cord didn't change anything.
Old 08-31-2017, 01:39 PM   #12
- Microsoft Support
BSOD Kernel Dump Analyst

My System

What's the motherboard make/model or the details on the OEM model, if it's a branded PC?
Old 08-31-2017, 01:42 PM   #13
Registered Member

Motherboard is Intel Desktop Motherboard LGA1155 DDR3 1600 ATX - BOXDZ77GA-70K

PSU is Sentey MBP750-HM Power Supply, 750 watts

New SSD is Crucial MX300 750GB SATA 2.5 Inch Internal Solid State Drive
Old 08-31-2017, 03:50 PM   #14
Registered Member

I unplugged the HDD and now just have the two SSDs, and the fan is not going nuts. I also changed the SATA cable to the new SSD. I'm going to try plugging back int he HDD and see what happens.
Old 09-01-2017, 03:58 AM   #15
Registered Member

Triple post action, but I have solved the issue: all 3 hard drives are now recognized and my PSU fan isn't going into overdrive.

Combination of two fixes at once that after much heartache of almost having to reformat my drive with un-backed-up personal data I'm not willing to experiment which was the one that fixed it or if both were required:

-Changed the SATA cable (from one that was never used out of the box to an older one, actually!)
-Moved the SATA from a 6.0 gb/s Marvel port to a 6.0gb/s Chipset port (I had to move my HDD from one of the two slots to a 3.0GB/s slot)

Everything is good now. Thank you everyone who contributed.
Old 09-01-2017, 04:46 AM   #16
- Microsoft Support
BSOD Kernel Dump Analyst

My System

Excellent news, good work!

Native (Intel) is usually better than 3rd party (Marvell) + fewer drivers needed and cables probably aren't tested before packing, good to keep a few spares around.

I was waiting on the results from #14 before chiming in with my thoughts from chasing down details and reviews of the 'board and PSU:

PSU: I wouldn't trust it. Plenty of reports of PSUs from that specific range blowing/dying inside 14 months, including what felt like a high % of reports of the PSU taking out drives when it died/blew. The sound and smells from a blown PSU are quite an experience but the gut feeling afterwards when your testing shows that 2/3 drives that had been connected to it are dead and with it your data isn't something I'd want anyone to experience.

Motherboard: very mixed reviews, doesn't sound like a great 'board to own. I failed to find any similar reports to yours, nor could I find any method to control PSU fan speed via the BIOS.

Please replace that PSU with a quality make/model as soon as you can afford to.
Old 09-01-2017, 05:00 AM   #17
Registered Member

So funny story with #14, that was me going to boot with the new configuration but my HDD was plugged into the Marvell port and that just... Caused a wild assortment of problems. I spent the rest of the night unable to boot windows, even though my operating system wasn't even on that drive. Finally this morning I moved the cable to another and everything worked fine. All of my data was in tact.

As for the PSU/Motherboard, both are 2 years old now and I haven't experienced any issues, aside from this one. I'll take your recommendation seriously, but I'm probably not going to replace it right away.
Closed Thread