Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

PSU fan noise

This is a discussion on PSU fan noise within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Since installing my new PSU and GP my computer has been making some weird sounds. When I opened it up

Closed Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 08:44 AM   #1
Registered Member

Since installing my new PSU and GP my computer has been making some weird sounds. When I opened it up to see what could possibly be causing it, it seemed like the noise was coming from my PSU.

There seem to be two kinds of the noise:
1. Silent noise with a repeating stop-spin-stop-spin-stop-spin.
2. Loud noise with a repeating click #1 - click #2 - click #1 - click #2.

A link to sound variation #2 can be found below:
Click here to open the link (It really is as noisy as it sounds!)

What could I do about this? Any experience in solving? I'm using a Corsair CX600M
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2014, 09:17 AM   #2
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

My System

I don't hear any clicking noises in your audio clip.

Take out the GPU and run the system to see if the noises remain. If so you have chosen a bad PSU.
Old 10-05-2014, 07:25 AM   #3
Emeritus

PSU's should not make any noise. If you have determined for certain your PSU is making noise, replace it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2014, 08:19 AM   #4
Visiting Tech

My System

I hear the ticking you are talking about in your clip but I cannot tell from here its source. And while you say it is "as noisy as it sounds", we have no "normal" sound bite to reference to compare how noisy it is. But again, I hear the constant ticking and it sounds mechanical, like something being driven by a motor.

Computer cases are great at transferring mechanical noises through the case, where it then reverberates throughout - making it very difficult to isolate the source of the noise. Tyree is right that PSUs should not make any noise (except fan noise) - definitely no ticking sounds.

You can often isolate PSU fan noise by sticking your ear to the back of the PSU. To verify if a particular fan is making noise, what I do is very carefully and gently touch the center hub of the fan for just a 1/2 second. If the fan is the culprit, touching the center hub will slow the rotation speed momentarily - and that will result in a change in the "pitch" of the fan noise (particularly if bearings are the problem) or frequency of any ticks - perhaps caused by a fan blade hitting a cable, or fan housing.

If I cannot reach the fan hub with my finger, I very carefully use a wooden glue/Popsicle stick to reach in and touch the hub. I would do this with the PSU fan, graphics card fan, and all the case fans too. Even the CPU and chipset (if present) fans - but again, only for a 1/2 second and no more.
Old 10-06-2014, 09:58 AM   #5
Enthusiast

My System

sometimes using a straw is a good way of isolating a sound,just dont stick into a fan as it could disintegrate and get in places you can't get to.
Old 11-02-2014, 12:00 PM   #6
Registered Member

Hey guys thanks a lot for ton of useful replies! I managed to finally find some time to determine the cause of the noise. After using some of your suggested methods I was able to determine my PSU was not the cause. I put my PSU outside of my computer case, but the noise didn't go away. I then noticed the noise was coming from the CPU and air circulation fans.
As there may be some dust cought up in the heatsink, I'll take my pc to a professional for some cleaning and perhaps replace the fans with new ones if the noise doesn't go away.

Thanks a lot!
Old 11-02-2014, 12:21 PM   #7
Visiting Tech

My System

Quote:
As there may be some dust cought up in the heatsink, I'll take my pc to a professional for some cleaning
Is that something you want to do every 6 months or so? I bet not.

Any chance you have, or have access to an air compressor? That's what I use in my shop and what many professionals have been using in tech repair facilities for years. You just must make sure you fit the compressor with an inline moisture and particulate filter when cleaning electronics. And never see how fast you can make a fan spin - you can easily exceed design limits and destroy the bearings. I use wooden glue/Popsicle sticks to hold the blades stationary while blasting.

You can use cans of dusting gas, but they are not as effective and you must take care to hold the cans level so they don't spew out liquid.

In any case, take the computer outside when blasting.
Old 11-02-2014, 10:26 PM   #8
Enthusiast

My System

Get a can of compressed air, point it at the heatsink so its level and press the button. Why take it to a shop where they will charge a lot of money for doing the same thing?
Old 11-03-2014, 04:55 AM   #9
Visiting Tech

My System

Just note those cans are not full of compressed "air". They are really called dusting "gas" because they generally contain some form of difluoroethane - which is toxic and can affect the central nervous system if inhaled. So again, take it outside before spraying.

I note since purchasing cans of spray paint by minors is a controlled processed in many States to prevent or limit "huffing" of paint, some have turned to abusing these cans of compressed gas.
Old 11-04-2014, 06:26 AM   #10
Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbrucelee View Post
Get a can of compressed air, point it at the heatsink so its level and press the button. Why take it to a shop where they will charge a lot of money for doing the same thing?
As above ^
If you don't have access to compressed air, canned air can be purchased at many retail outlets. Us e a NON-Metallic device to prevent fans spinning.

Closed Thread