Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

Problem With RAM Slot

This is a discussion on Problem With RAM Slot within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I recently purchased a 512MB DIMM for my computer as my system only came with 256MB and was running very

Closed Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 08:01 AM   #1

Confused

I recently purchased a 512MB DIMM for my computer as my system only came with 256MB and was running very slow.

When I attempted to put the DIMM in, one of the clips broke off. Despite that setback, I was able to get the new DIMM installed along with keeping my 256 DIMM. However, because of the missing clip, I would suddenly drop from 768MB back down to 256. It appeared that the DIMM where the clip broke off was falling out (the slot is vertical when the CPU is in its proper position). This happened a couple of times and I had to go back in and push the DIMM back in, even though it never felt like it came out. I did this three or four times but now the computer won't read anything in that slot.

Since it worked in the beginning, I have a hard time believing that something else broke when the clip came off. I'm currently running with just the 512 but would like to get the 256 back in also. I need all the RAM I can get.

Is there any way to diagnose a problem with the RAM slot? The 256 DIMM works when put it into the other slot so I know it isn't that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2007, 10:48 AM   #2

Hi,

How many RAM slots do you have? I would use another slot if you have one. Because of the many pins on the RAM, it has to be completely in, so I think some of the contacts aren't touching. If you only have two slots, I would look into a single 1 GB stick.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatt View Post
How many RAM slots do you have?
I only have two slots. All the specs I read regarding my computer state that each slot can only hold a max of 512MB with a max RAM of 1024. I've not only tried putting the DIMM back into the slot but I even switched the two DIMM's around. Each time, they were in as far as they could go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2007, 01:44 PM   #4

If you lay the computer so that the motherboard is horizontal, does the problem occur? If it still does, have you tried putting a little pressure on the RAM module in the broken slot to see if it stays in?
Old 03-27-2007, 06:57 AM   #5

If I leave the computer horizontal, the DIMM in slot #1 still does not show up. I never tried keeping pressure on the DIMM while starting up due to fears with static discharge (I don't have a wrist strap). At this point, I'm not convinced that the problem is with the DIMM staying in. I'm wondering if something else came loose when the clip came off and it just took a little while to completely break or come completely undone. I'm just not sure if there is any way to check for a problem like that.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:30 AM   #6

If you haven't already, try each stick in the working slot to rule out a faulty DIMM. If that doesn't work, I suggest you RMA the board. Unfortunately, broken RAM slots are really hard to fix. I think you would be better off getting a new board.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:18 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatt View Post
If you haven't already, try each stick in the working slot to rule out a faulty DIMM. If that doesn't work, I suggest you RMA the board. Unfortunately, broken RAM slots are really hard to fix. I think you would be better off getting a new board.
I had already tested both DIMMS and they work fine. I'm not sure what RMA the board means. Any idea what a new board would cost?
Old 03-29-2007, 08:30 AM   #8
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Rma : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Return_..._Authorization

The motherboard you need depends of your system specs, so tell us what they are. If you computer is quite old, chances are you'll find a motherboard for less than 60$, but you'll likely have to buy it second-hand. If the new motherboard is different from the one you have, you'll have to reinstall windows.
Old 03-30-2007, 07:44 AM   #9

I added the My System info which should now appear by my user name. Let me know if that is enough information.
Old 03-30-2007, 12:44 PM   #10

You should contact HP for a replacement board. Your warranty will not cover this.
Old 03-31-2007, 09:33 PM   #11
Registered Member

My System

Send a message via AIM to agentRed Send a message via MSN to agentRed Send a message via Yahoo to agentRed

Here is my $0.02

I believe that when you broke the clip, you partially damaged the slot in the process. You said that the module came loose a couple of times, right? You also said that you changed the memory in the slots as well. Well here's what I think happened: the slot was not fully broken by the initial damage done to it, but after a number of re-insertions, the RAM slot finally gave out on you. Hence why it was working...and now it's not.

You could take a really close look at all the contacts inside the slot with a magnifying glass and see if any of them are burnt/damaged/skewed. That's the only advice I can offer short of a new motherboard.
Closed Thread