Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

Problem computer freezes

This is a discussion on Problem computer freezes within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Sorry I hope I have gotten the right part of the forum? I haven't been here for some while as

Closed Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 11:43 AM   #1
Registered Member

Sorry I hope I have gotten the right part of the forum? I haven't been here for some while as most things I have dealt with. But I am stuck and have no idea what the hell is going on. I have a dual boot system. Windows 7 64bit and Linux Mint 64bit. If the problem was operating system then one or the other would work. But the computer freezes on both OS's. I am using video conversion software to reduce or change extensions (if that is what you call it) say from mkv to mp4. I have tried converting several times on both os, but every time the computer freezes and it stays there. With windows alt tab doesn't work and the only way to free either os's is to reboot. I have run diagnostic programs on Windows and nothing comes up that suggests that there is a fault to cause the freezing.

The two things that could be the culprit are memory or Graphics card.
Here is a basic details of my system:

AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+
3000.000 MHz
Memory total 3952 MiB DDR2
NVidia GTX550Ti
Video ram 1024 MB

Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2016, 04:02 PM   #2
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Please preform a hard drive test using this guide here:

How to perform a Seagate's Seatools Test - Tech Support Forum
Old 04-27-2016, 11:23 PM   #3
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

Does the PC freeze only with this application or with others as well?
Did the issue start of a sudden? i.e. Did it once behave correctly? What changed?
Have you confirmed the app is compatible with 64bit operating systems?
Also, if it is older software, it may need to be run in compatibility mode.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2016, 11:40 PM   #4
Registered Member

Thanks will do the above. As for when I am not sure as I haven't put the computer under strain for quite a while. Its been doing simple tasks, emails, internet and writing. The software I have used many many times before without this problem. And yes its doing this when I have been doing lots of photographic work as well. Will let you know outcome after the link. Thank you so much
And just realised the software is for Windows which I rarely use now.
Old 04-28-2016, 10:42 AM   #5
Registered Member

Done the stress test on memory and graphics both had no problem. But as soon as I did a stress test on the CPU's it didn't take long for it to freeze and crash. And thinking about it this has been happening slowly for sometime. Thank you for your assistance. Now I have to think whether or not to get a new comp or replace the CPU's. As money is tight I think it will be new CPU's. But I have NO idea if there is one for this board now. I wouldn't trust a second hand one/2. So any help here would be helpful. Thanks
Closed Thread