Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

power supply surges detected.

This is a discussion on power supply surges detected. within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello. I have an question about one topic from internet from reddit site about power supply surges detected. Also listen.

Closed Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 11:52 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello. I have an question about one topic from internet from reddit site about power supply surges detected.

Also listen. This is link:

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrac...rges_detected/

Last post, user OAFAH said:

"The surge protection feature on Asus boards will trigger in the event of a suddenly power cut. Literally anything could trigger it, from a sudden power loss to accidentally flicking your PSU switch.
The more pressing issue is that your computer keeps suddenly restarting. That isn't normal, and usually points to one of two problems: either your PSU is not delivering stable current, or your motherboard's VRMs are unstable."

User OAFAH said first that surge protection feature on Asus boards will trigger in the event of a suddenly power cut. Literally anything could trigger it, from a sudden power loss to accidentally flicking your PSU switch.

But then he said usually points to one of two problems: either your PSU is not delivering stable current, or your motherboard's VRMs are unstable.

So power cut ,power loss can trigger this too? So why he said next that this usually points to one of two problems: either your PSU is not delivering stable current, or your motherboard's VRMs are unstable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2017, 01:01 AM   #2
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

OAFAH is correct. The surge protection feature is usually triggered after an external (to the pc) power interruption. If it is being triggered repeatedly, and mains power is stable, the issue is with either the power supply or the motherboard itself.

Note that on some Asus boards, the surge protection feature seems to be extremely sensitive and will trigger when there is no actual problem. In some instances, updating system BIOS will correct it, in others the motherboard must be replaced.
Old 02-02-2017, 02:38 AM   #3
Registered Member

First he said that surge protection feature on Asus boards will trigger in the event of a suddenly power cut. Literally anything could trigger it, from a sudden power loss to accidentally flicking your PSU switch.

But then he said usually points to one of two problems: either your PSU is not delivering stable current, or your motherboard's VRMs are unstable.

So i cant understand this. So power cut,power loss or problem with psu ,mobo?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2017, 03:11 AM   #4
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew333 View Post
First he said that surge protection feature on Asus boards will trigger in the event of a suddenly power cut. Literally anything could trigger it, from a sudden power loss to accidentally flicking your PSU switch.
This is correct.

Quote:
He actually said that repeated sudden restarts points to the board or the power supply. Also correct. Different issue though it may be related to the anti surge protection.

You have to realize, a PC is an electrical system, with several interrelated subsystems. A failure within any of those subsystems can cause issues within another subsystem which may seem totally unrelated to the original failure.
Old 02-02-2017, 03:44 AM   #5
Registered Member

So very brief power outage can make restart pc with anti surge warning?
Old 02-02-2017, 05:39 AM   #6
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

A brief power outage will almost always cause your pc to shutdown and/or restart, regardless whether the surge protection is enabled.
Old 02-02-2017, 08:04 AM   #7
Registered Member

gcavan but you said:" The surge protection feature is usually triggered after an external (to the pc) power interruption. "

Also user OAFAH said:

"
The more pressing issue is that your computer keeps suddenly restarting. That isn't normal, and usually points to one of two problems: either your PSU is not delivering stable current, or your motherboard's VRMs are unstable."

So is possible to restart pc with anti surge warning due to short power outage? Or restart is only because of not stable psu or motherboard?

I mean that only shutdowns are related to short power outages? Or restarts too?

Thank you for answer i am really appreciate it for help.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:28 AM   #8
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
gcavan but you said:" The surge protection feature is usually triggered after an external (to the pc) power interruption. "

Also user OAFAH said:

"
A key word in both statements:
usually: customarily; in the way that most often happens; in the ordinary course of events
ex: He usually gets home about six o'clock.

Is not saying this always happens, but that this is the most common occurrence. Regarding the power and shutdown issues, those are the most common causes, and would be the first things a technician should check for. However, there are several other things which could cause those problems.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:36 AM   #9
Registered Member

I ask because. 3 months ago my pc just restarted from Windows 10 desktop in idle, with anti surge warning when i was in work. I back to home and i saw screen with:"“Power supply surges detected during the previous power on ASUS anti-surge was triggered to protect system from unstable supply unit.”

So it is something with my mobo or psu or maybe power outage? I have Asus Z170-P and Corsair 750 RM . Cpu is 6700k stock, and Gtx 1080.

Checked voltages in bios, and they are fine.

Thank you for helping me.
Thats why i create this topic:)
Old 02-02-2017, 10:39 AM   #10
Registered Member

Last question. Please read link:

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrac...surge_problem/

User Spirit89 said:

"Got B150 Pro Gaming D3 board. It does "anti surge" when a power outage occurs. Your PSU should be fine."

What he mean. Pc restart with anti surge warning? Or pc shutdown and then boot up with anti surge warning?
Old 02-02-2017, 12:38 PM   #11
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

First of all, I will no longer comment on statements quoted from other websites.

All PCs will restart at times, often seemingly for no reason. It is generally not an issue unless it does so repeatedly.
Old 02-03-2017, 02:23 AM   #12
Registered Member

gcavan, i promise last question oki?

user OAFAH said:

"The surge protection feature on Asus boards will trigger in the event of a suddenly power cut. Literally anything could trigger it, from a sudden power loss to accidentally flicking your PSU switch.
The more pressing issue is that your computer keeps suddenly restarting. That isn't normal, and usually points to one of two problems: either your PSU is not delivering stable current, or your motherboard's VRMs are unstable
."

So he mean that suddenly power cut,power loss can make pc restart with anti surge warning?
Old 02-03-2017, 03:11 AM   #13
- Microsoft Support
BSOD Kernel Dump Analyst

My System

Sew, like when your Mother's cooker tripped the power circuit, yes, any momentary power outage, spike or brownout can trigger this behaviour if you enable that setting/software - it's by design.

Workarounds = UPS power backup, or disable the setting/uninstall the software.
Old 02-03-2017, 04:13 AM   #14
Registered Member

So he mean that suddenly power cut,power loss can make pc restart too with anti surge warning or he mean only full shutdown?

I ask because he said next:"The more pressing issue is that your computer keeps suddenly restarting. That isn't normal, and usually points to one of two problems: either your PSU is not delivering stable current, or your motherboard's VRMs are unstable."

He said now about restarts that they are caused by faulty mobo or psu.

Thank you for explanation :)
Old 02-03-2017, 04:25 AM   #15
- Microsoft Support
BSOD Kernel Dump Analyst

My System

Are you the same person as Spirit89 there?

Do you have sudden PC restarts without any other power issues in the house, like lights dimming or flickering?
Old 02-03-2017, 04:32 AM   #16
Registered Member

No i am not Spirit89.

Listen please for me,ok?

Somebody said :""The surge protection feature on Asus boards will trigger in the event of a suddenly power cut. Literally anything could trigger it, from a sudden power loss to accidentally flicking your PSU switch.

So he mean that suddenly power cut,power loss can make pc restart too with anti surge warning or he mean only full shutdown?

I ask because he said next:"The more pressing issue is that your computer keeps suddenly restarting. That isn't normal, and usually points to one of two problems: either your PSU is not delivering stable current, or your motherboard's VRMs are unstable."

He said now about restarts that they are caused by faulty mobo or psu.

Thank you for explanation :)
Old 02-03-2017, 05:26 AM   #17
- Microsoft Support
BSOD Kernel Dump Analyst

My System

So, if you are not Spirit89, please listen to me!

STOP LOOKING FOR PROBLEMS THAT DON'T EXIST!

All your problems with that ASUS surge protection feature have been directly related to actual mains/utility power fluctuations and outages and similar testing procedures done by you. None are related to any possible fault in any of your computer hardware.

Now stop, don't post any more here about it, what happens during a conversation about a completely different set of events simply cannot be applied to your case.

End of subject.

Fin.
Old 02-03-2017, 05:32 AM   #18
Registered Member

I am just asking. I have restart AC POWER LOSS turned to off in bios. So why pc restarted with anti surge warning? Why it not turned off completely?
Old 02-03-2017, 06:29 AM   #19
- Microsoft Support
BSOD Kernel Dump Analyst

My System

Perhaps the ASUS anti surge software/settings override that? I don't know, I don't/can't use it to test.

Also, I recall comments (from the ASUS/ROG forum?) suggesting that you disable/uninstall that because it's often problematic.

I'd want to use a good UPS with any suspect mains/utility supply. Beats using trick software that solves nothing and saves nothing from damage.
Old 02-03-2017, 07:02 AM   #20
Visiting Tech

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Quote:
In some instances, updating system BIOS will correct it, in others the motherboard must be replaced.
The third option is to disable the ASUS Surge Protection feature in the BIOS - which is what I recommend, in addition to getting a "good" UPS with AVR (and maybe a new, quality power supply).

This feature seems to be more bothersome than it is worth for MANY users. As noted above, it is triggered when it detects an anomaly either created by the power supply (less common), or that originates from the grid which the power supply is unable to suppress sufficiently (more common). I don't know if ASUS has set the threshold too low, or if the feature is just flawed from the start. Either way, the forums are full of ASUS antisurge problems. And in my opinion, those without problems are running with decent power supplies, and often a "good" USP with AVR, which IMO, every computer should be on.

Understand this ASUS Antisurge feature has been around for a few years now. Typically, when one manufacturer comes up with a good feature, the competition quickly comes up with their own version. That has not happened. Gigabyte, MSI, BioStar, EVGA, ASRock - none of the other major brands have this shutdown feature. Why? Because it is just not needed! Instead, they (correctly, IMO) rely on their very sophisticated and advanced voltage regulation circuitry already included on their motherboards.

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

───────────────────────────
Closed Thread