Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

Power supply radiation ????

This is a discussion on Power supply radiation ???? within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have an elderly Dell D610 used primarily for control of a hobby CNC router. As a second hand machine

Closed Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 01:27 AM   #1
Registered Member

I have an elderly Dell D610 used primarily for control of a hobby CNC router.
As a second hand machine it came with a non - Dell power adapter. When in use, this supply appears to corrupt my home wi-fi network so as to make it unusable. If the D610 is running on batteries alone, all is well

If the PSU is powered but not connected to the D610 there is no problem, it is only when connected to the laptop that the problem arises. This is irrespective of the D610 operating or not, so I can't tell if the problem is in the PSU or in the laptop.

Any thoughts would be most welcome - changing the PSU would be one obvious action, but with no guarantee of a cure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2016, 02:58 AM   #2
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

I wonder if this might have to do with the wireless radio of the Dell. Is it maybe automatically turned off (for power saving) when running on battery alone, but when the power pak is plugged in, it stays up full time and spams the network with some sort of broadcast requests? Just a thought, but you might look into it.
Old 08-21-2016, 05:07 AM   #3
Registered Member

Hi gcavan
Thanks for that thought - unfortunately the problem exists whether or not the wi-fi is enabled when on the PSU. Running on batteries I can get full speed access over the network to both printer and internet.

I even changed the wi-fi card to make sure that wasn't the problem - good job they're cheap on eBay!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2016, 06:22 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by petergharrisonC View Post
Any thoughts would be most welcome - changing the PSU would be one obvious action, but with no guarantee of a cure.
No, but they're not that expensive either and you'd have a spare.

Quote:
If the PSU is powered but not connected to the D610 there is no problem, it is only when connected to the laptop that the problem arises. This is irrespective of the D610 operating or not,
That may be a matter of power load on the unit.
Old 08-21-2016, 12:32 PM   #5
Registered Member

Hi Confounded Also

I take your point about load on the PSU - must be something like that to get the symptoms.

Your comment prompted me to do the sensible thing - I found one on eBay for £11 delivered and it should arrive later this week. I'll update this thread once I've tried it.
Old 08-22-2016, 07:28 AM   #6
Visiting Tech

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Well I'm coming in too late now but if me, I would try a different wall outlet before buying a new power supply. That said, every home and every computer user should have access to a AC Outlet Tester to ensure your outlet is properly wired and grounded. I recommend one with a GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupt) indicator as it can be used to test bathroom and kitchen outlets too. These testers can be found for your type and voltage outlet, foreign or domestic, (like this one for the UK) at most home improvement stores, or even the electrical department at Wal-Mart. Use it to test all the outlets in the house and if a fault is shown, have it fixed by a qualified electrician.

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

───────────────────────────
Old 08-22-2016, 08:06 AM   #7
Registered Member

Hi Bill,

Thanks for that thought - I've already confirmed the status of the supply, as the same outlet is shared by my elderly self build desktop running XP and my Epson Workforce printer.

I have some ferrite clip on filters somewhere in my scrap box, so when the s/h PSU arrives later I'll conduct some more tests on both supplies.

Incidentally all the computers in the house (3) show excellent signal strength from my Netgear router, so the interference must be pretty damn horrific!!

Peter
Old 08-22-2016, 08:21 AM   #8
Visiting Tech

My System

Have you tried a different outlet - one on a different circuit than your PC and printer?

Old 08-22-2016, 12:08 PM   #9
Registered Member

Bill,

OK - good idea, I move the D610 to an outlet at the opposite side of the house tomorrow. I report anything interesting of course.

Peter
Old 08-22-2016, 12:46 PM   #10
TSF Enthusiast

'Opposite side of the house' doesn't necessarily mean a different circuit. That would depend on how the house is wired of course. If you're going to run that test, make sure the outlet is on a different circuit breaker/fuse.

Here in the US, house circuits have two 'legs'. The main line to the house is 220VAC and is split into two 110VAC 'legs'. Not sure if that's true over there.

If so, a test like you're doing should really be on the other 'leg' if possible.
Old 08-22-2016, 02:10 PM   #11
Registered Member

The house power wiring is a single 240VAC 30A ring main serving both floors - in addition there is a 30A circuit dedicated to the cooker and associated equipment and a further separately fused spur for the garage.

For your interest, all our normal appliance plugs are fused according to application, and can vary between 1A and 13A. Domestic supplies are derived from 415V 3phase, with only one phase and neutral being available in any one dwelling. I believe neutral (star point) is grounded at the distribution transformer.

So there are two further alternatives to explore - should be an interesting investigation.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:18 AM   #12
Registered Member

Progress!! The wi-fi appears normal with the original PSU plugged into the cooker spur and powering the D610. So the problem is probably due to radiation from the mains power wiring to the PSU.

This power supply is unbranded Chinese, so who knows what shortcuts have be taken in the interests of cheapness. I've heard of cases where filter inductors, necessary to pass EMC qualification tests, have been replaced by wire bridges in production runs!!

I need to root out these ferrite clip-ons and see if they do the trick with the PSU in its original location.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:45 AM   #13
Visiting Tech

My System

Quote:
I move the D610 to an outlet at the opposite side of the house tomorrow.
What happens to the wifi is you just unplug your old PC and printer from all power?

Old 08-23-2016, 08:11 AM   #14
Registered Member

OK - I'll try that later. Suffering in a 30deg HEATWAVE today - the second of a really c**p summer.

I suspect the problem will be unchanged, as most of the testing has been done via my Dell E6530 (which is located downstairs) with the printer and old desktop switched off upstairs. Nevertheless ........
Closed Thread