Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

Power Supply Question - How Much Power Needed?

This is a discussion on Power Supply Question - How Much Power Needed? within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I am running an Asus P5K MB with an Intel Quad CPU, an Asus GE Force 8600 GT graphics card,

Closed Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 10:54 PM   #1
Registered Member

I am running an Asus P5K MB with an Intel Quad CPU, an Asus GE Force 8600 GT graphics card, 1 DVD Drive, and with 8GB of RAM. I was running 2 hard disks before and just added a 3rd one into the system. According to things I have read, I should be running a 600 Watt PSU with this kind of hardware. Presently I have an Enermax 450 Watt PSU in there and according to all the voltage meters on the Asus PC Probe Program that came with the MB, I am not getting into any danger zones on voltage. So I am wondering if I really need to spend another $75 to upgrade my power supply or if I can continue using the one I have? I rather not spend the money if it is not needed and is there any other way to find out if I am really exceeding the limitations of the current PSU in terms of power consumption?

Many thanks…
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2009, 12:03 AM   #2
retired

Quote:
Enermax 450 Watt PSU
well, depends what model it is.

For instance the Enermax EG451P-V 450w is a pentium 3 grade psu [email protected], [email protected], [email protected] and NOT WHAT YOU WANT.

If it's a ENERMAX EMD425AWT then it's a pentium 4 grade psu [email protected],[email protected],[email protected],[email protected] and is okay for your rig.

Otherwise consider the Corsair VX450W as a minimum and a few dollars more will get the Corsair VX550W.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:48 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks, my PSU is the EG465P-VE - ATX12V v1.2. Any thoughts on that one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2009, 03:41 AM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu_computer View Post
a few dollars more will get the Corsair VX550W.
You would be better off with this unit to make sure you have enough power for any near future upgrades IMHO.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:05 AM   #5
Registered Member

Thanks Bro. I am not envisioning any future upgrades on this unit. CPU is already a Quad and RAM is maxed out at 8GB for this MB. Video card is powerful enough for the sort of graphics work I do, so can't really see any future upgrades in site.

Assuming though a PC was underpowered, what would be the actual physical symptoms one might encounter as a tell tale sign? Just curious...
Old 01-29-2009, 04:39 AM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

Shut downs, overheating, pauses while working, tearing of graphics, causing other computer parts like memory to fail from lack of power, failure to turn on when the on button is pushed and then it might turn on the second or third time, etc....the list goes on.
Old 01-29-2009, 05:43 AM   #7
Registered Member

Thanks, I will keep an eye out for those symptoms and if anything like that occurs then I know that possibly I am under powered. The good thing about Enermax is that over time the PSU does not start to pump less watts like a lot of the cheapo Chinese PSU units I used to use before.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:43 AM   #8
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

over time the psu components deteriorate low quality fast,quality a lot slower putting out less reliable power
on the other side so does the m/b components,this time requiring more power
when it gets to the stage where the gap in available power gets to wide you have your power problem

Old 01-29-2009, 09:32 AM   #9
Registered Member

You "could" run a computer from what you tell us from 450W PSU, but it won't last. Especially with a quad-core processor, and then if you ever upgrade your video card, the PSU would be unlikely to support your hardware.

My suggestion is to get a 600W PSU and you'll be good from now and beyond you doing your future upgrades as needed. It's better to be preemptive with things like this, becfore other aspects of your computer go bad and cost you more in the long run.

-EDGE-
Old 01-30-2009, 01:56 AM   #10
retired

okay, these are the numbers...

your system runs at about 300w for average use and up around 330w top end.
enermax rates their psu's for 70% load which puts the 460W EG465P-VE's (there's 2 different models) at about 320w.

so it's a borderline call, yes it will power that pc for a few years, as is, but if you make any additions then plan on upgrading the psu as well.

further, the EG465P-VE FM and EG465P-VE FMA appear to me to be the old in-betweens psu which were common a few years ago (p3 design upgraded for p4 use). these psu's are not in the same class as the corsairs i referenced above-which are true p4 psu's.

(i'm not an enermax fan as they give mediocre specs for their products.)
Closed Thread