Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

Power supply problem?

This is a discussion on Power supply problem? within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi all. For several months my PC has had trouble starting up when the plug has been turned off. When

Closed Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 04:18 AM   #1

Hi all. For several months my PC has had trouble starting up when the plug has been turned off. When i would go to switch it back on the computer tried to start up but sounded like it was stuttering (like a car engine struggling to turn over but obviously not the same sort of sound) It would then load up to the screen where it recognised how much ram i had, the cd player type e.t.c but not go any further. (sorry not that hot on computers so dont know what this screen is called) If i then restarted the computer the problem seamed to go away.
As a result of this i tended to leave the computer swithed on at the plug and left it on stand by, if i did this i would have no problem.

Unfortunately my housemate turned the plug off over the weekend and when i tried to boot up the computer again, it came on and started struggling to load again, and then completely died after about 10 seconds. I tried to start it up again but all that happened is the power button flashed briefly and then nothing happened. I have tried it again this morning and there is no life in it at all, no flashing, no fans starting up e.t.c

Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be? Could it be that i need a new power supply? I did have a look inside the case and shamefully there was a lot of dust and fluff inside the case, which i have now cleaned out,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2008, 04:49 AM   #2
Troubled

OS: xp pro sp3, 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Server 2003, Server 2008, VMware vCenter Server

My System

Send a message via MSN to vladimirb Send a message via Yahoo to vladimirb Send a message via Skype™ to vladimirb

Hi mate,
It is good that you had cleaned out your case... If you can lend PSU from a friend it could be great to test your PC because I think it is PSU problem...
Or simply buy new one and test it.
Let us know about your progress...
Hope this will help you mate...
Old 06-20-2008, 04:45 AM   #3

Hey all.

We'll i ordered a new power supply (exactly the same one that is in the P.C) and connected it up (i'm pretty sure i installed it correctly as all i did was unconnect one connecter at a time and replaced it with the new one)

I've tried to power up the computer and basically all that is happening is the main power light on the front is flashing once and thats it. You can't hear the computer trying to power up and none of the fans are kicking in, any ideas?

I think i'm gonna just take it to a repair shop as i think i'll do more harm than good trying to do anything else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2008, 04:56 AM   #4
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

when you buy a new psu it's best to take the opportunity to upgrade it
turn the computer off
remove the power lead from the back
take the side off
remove the cmos battery
move the cmos jumper from pins 1 and 2 to pin 2 and 3 and the back to pins 1 and 2
replace the battery
put the side on
replug in the power lead
boot the computer

there can be 2 solder points you touch with a screwdriver
2 pins you touch with a screwdriver or use a jumper
a cmos clear switch or button
there will be a diagram and instructions in your manual

Closed Thread