Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

Power Supply possible failing? GPUs crashing/stalling.

This is a discussion on Power Supply possible failing? GPUs crashing/stalling. within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. SPECS: CPU: AMD Phenom 965 Mobo: GA-78LMT-S2P GPU: HIS iTurbo Radeon 7770 (760 ti for testing) RAM: Generic 8GB DDR3

Closed Thread

Old 06-18-2016, 02:37 PM   #1
Registered Member

SPECS:
CPU: AMD Phenom 965
Mobo: GA-78LMT-S2P
GPU: HIS iTurbo Radeon 7770 (760 ti for testing)
RAM: Generic 8GB DDR3 (2 sticks of 4gb)
PSU: Thermaltake TR2 500W

I hope this will be an okay section for me to post this. A while back, my PC suddenly crashed. I tried to start it back up, and I would get no data from my GPU. I have replaced my old card (7770) with my friend's 760 ti, and I do get data, but it stalls at the BIOS now. The PC starts fine when I disconnect the GPU and use onboard, so I was able to use Speccy to get voltage numbers(in attachments). I have tested everything else from my RAM, to the input cables, to the monitor, and everything else is working fine. I am sure this must be something with the PSU, as its very cheap and quite old. Thanks for any help or tips you guys can give me.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2016, 05:16 PM   #2
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Hi and Welcome to TSF!

Can you boot into Safe Mode with the new GPU installed?

As for what you have chosen, the 760 Ti requires a minimum of 500Ws. You may be exceeding your PSU's power.

Also, Speccy should not be trusted for voltages. It is almost never right in that regard. Check the BIOS for the voltages.
Old 06-19-2016, 12:26 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterchiefxx17 View Post
Hi and Welcome to TSF!

Can you boot into Safe Mode with the new GPU installed?

As for what you have chosen, the 760 Ti requires a minimum of 500Ws. You may be exceeding your PSU's power.

Also, Speccy should not be trusted for voltages. It is almost never right in that regard. Check the BIOS for the voltages.
I've gotten the PC to start normally with the 760, actually. I've gotten in and managed to get the most recent drivers for the 760, and its running(very slowly). I am using a HITACHI 500GB that is at least 4 years old, for reference.

I have retried using the 7770 and I'm still getting nothing. Keep in mind, the 760 uses both of the PCI pins on my PSU, while the 7770 only uses 1(if that matters). I looked in the bios, and it only had the +12 and +3 voltages states. Both were almost perfect. Perhaps this could be a problem with multiple components in my PC? Thanks for your help, again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2016, 10:46 AM   #4
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

My System

Same comment for the Safe Mode and the GPU. Can you get it to work with the 7770? Or does the PC just show no sign of life the whole time with the 7770?

I'd follow your original claim that it may be a bad PSU.
Old 06-19-2016, 12:20 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Same comment for the Safe Mode and the GPU. Can you get it to work with the 7770? Or does the PC just show no sign of life the whole time with the 7770?

I'd follow your original claim that it may be a bad PSU.
Yeah, I get no data at all with the 7770. I am going to buy a new PSU and will update when it gets here. Thanks for the help.
Old 06-19-2016, 04:28 PM   #6
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

My System

I'd recommend a 550W XFX or Seasonic branded unit.

Although, I'm afraid that you may discover that your GPU is bad.
Old 06-19-2016, 05:57 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
I'd recommend a 550W XFX or Seasonic branded unit.

Although, I'm afraid that you may discover that your GPU is bad.
I went with the SeaSonic M12II 620W. I've assumed my GPU was probably gone too. I will borrow my friend's 760 ti for the time being I guess, and get something new later.
Closed Thread