Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

Power supply PC compatibility

This is a discussion on Power supply PC compatibility within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi. I've got a Sony Vaio Desktop Model PCV-RS520. It came with a Pentium 4, 3.0 GHz processor, 512MB RAM,

Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 02:18 PM   #1

Hi. I've got a Sony Vaio Desktop Model PCV-RS520. It came with a Pentium 4, 3.0 GHz processor, 512MB RAM, an ATI Radeon with 128MB VRAM. It has been having some trouble keeping up with my gaming and Computer Drafting/Design needs, so i upgraded. I installed an additional 1GB of RAM, a 256MB VRAM GE-Force Graphics Card, and a new 19" LCD monitor.
The PC is running much faster, and much more smoothly, and the graphics are great, BUT, now my picture seems to waver on screen every once in a while, and even blacks out for about a second and then comes right back on. It doesn't seem to be a problem with the monitor, so someone suggested to me that it might be the power supply.
The power supply in the PC now is rated at 266WATTS max. The Graphics card requires a min. 250W power supply, so i thought i would ok.
I decided to get a new power supply (400W) and see if that made a difference. Problem is, i cant find a power supply that will fit in my case. I've bought a few different models from different stores, but all seem to be the wrong physical size, and some dont even look like they have all the right connectors.

So, here's the question, do you think the power supply really is the issue, and if so, does anyone know where to find a 400-450W power supply that is compatible with a Sony Vaio PCVRS520?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2007, 03:43 PM   #2

Make sure you upgade your video drivers to the most resent from the nvidia site. Also take a look at the site below. They have replacement sony parts.

https://www.sparepartswarehouse.com/S...ModelList.aspx
Old 05-01-2007, 04:25 PM   #3

Thanks 95.

I made sure to update the driver as soon as i installed it, so i dont think that's it, but thanks.
And that site doesnt list any power supplies for my exact model, unfortunately, but hopefully they might know of one i can use as a substitute. I'll call later and see.
I'll let you know how that goes.
Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HP ZV5000 Power Supply & Power Meter Problem
Ok. So I have a story to tell. I was having trouble with my desktop (see other posts of mine) I decided to try and buy a laptop of craigslist. I get a guy selling his laptop to go buy a cellphone. I wasnt able to make it to go pick the laptop up so I sent my girlfriend with the money to pick it...
Skeezix Laptop Support 10 10-15-2008 11:17 AM
Is this a power supply problem?
My computer, which I built myself 2 years ago, has started exhibiting the following problem. I shut off all power to my system each night, and when I turn it back on in the morning, if I press the start-up button to boot the computer within the first few minutes of power being supplied, it kind of...
John McE RAM and Power Supply Support 4 10-10-2006 12:03 PM
New Power Supply
I recently bought a new power supply because of problems I had with my old one. When I would play games which were visualy demanding, my computer would always freeze up completly. I was told the cheap power supply in my case was probably the problem. The new power supply worked fine for basic...
NTL Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU 16 04-02-2006 06:55 PM
20-pin ATX power supply connector
I recently ordered an EZ Media AXIO 733 computer case with included 480 watt power supply. The description states it is compatble with all standard ATX motherboards. However, when I installed my new nForce 4 motherboard I found that the power supply connecter had only 20 pins but the...
bauhsoj Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU 7 04-25-2005 02:47 PM
Powmax ATX power supply tester
Powmax ATX power supply tester?? Anyone have any experience with one of these? I recently acquired 1 and I`m not real sure what it is telling me. It`s a small box with a Molex connector to plug the soon to be tested supply into. The box itself is a series of lights, mostly green, and these show...
g.w. Other Hardware Support 3 10-22-2004 12:05 AM