Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

power supply p1 plug dont fit mobo.

This is a discussion on power supply p1 plug dont fit mobo. within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello. My hp compaq refurbished desktop pc is in need of a model pc6019 240w power supply replacement. the models

Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 09:50 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hello. My hp compaq refurbished desktop pc is in need of a model pc6019 240w power supply replacement. the models ive been recieving (the p1 main plug to the motherboard connector is too bulky, but my old power supply's p1 plug (24 pin) fit the mobo juzst fine. im at a lost as to why all the trouble and incompatability . both are 24 pin but the old fits, the new ones dont. such an unseen minor issue halting me. if you all would please observe these pics i took and give my your opinions on what needs resolved how. BIG WHITE P1 24PIN WON'T FIT MOTHERBORD. THE BLACK P1 24PIN IS THE OLD IT DOES FIT.
what am i missing here? help please.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010117.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	287.8 KB
ID:	272529   Click image for larger version

Name:	p1010116.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	299.3 KB
ID:	272537   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010118.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	405.6 KB
ID:	272545  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010124.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	228.6 KB
ID:	272553  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2016, 10:15 AM   #2
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team

20 pin and 24 pin mobo cables are all standard sizes....so the new one should work/fit just fine. The key is to align the little clip notch thingy so it locks the cable into place.
Old 02-23-2016, 11:09 AM   #3
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Perhaps you should show us the (white) seemingly larger plug aligned to the mobo connector, but being too big to fit, or a side-by-side picture of the two plugs for scale. This is strange because the two plugs should be of standard size. The connector on the motherboard does appear quite small for the white plug.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2016, 11:36 AM   #4
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

You are both assuming standard ATX hardware. In this instance, neither the motherboard nor either of the power supplies shown are ATX. Proprietrary hardware is often very difficult to match up. Full part numbers (not just model number) must be identical.
Old 02-23-2016, 12:02 PM   #5
Registered Member

the white just cant fit the mobo pin socket, but the old black one does.
Old 02-23-2016, 02:04 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

I've seen Dell mATX and itx motherboards use smaller power motherboard connections. It's still 24 pins but isn't the same size as an ATX power plug. When you see it in person you can see the difference.

TSF does not support assistance through email or private messages, please keep all questions in the open forum.
Old 02-24-2016, 08:47 AM   #7
Visiting Tech

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

gcavan is right. They both must be ATX compliant to ensure compatibility.

If both are ATX compliant, there is no reason the new one should not fit. Note they are keyed to ensure they can only go in one way. If you look carefully, you will see some of the pin moldings have rounded off edges, the others have squared corners. And the connector will have a retaining clip on one side. So with both retaining clips the same way, the squared and rounded pins will be in the same pin locations.

If both are ATX compliant, and you have the connector properly oriented (with retaining clip on correct side of the motherboard's socket), then I suspect the problem is it is just a bit too snug and you need to exert a bit more force.

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

───────────────────────────
Old 02-24-2016, 09:07 AM   #8
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcavan View Post
You are both assuming standard ATX hardware. In this instance, neither the motherboard nor either of the power supplies shown are ATX. Proprietrary hardware is often very difficult to match up. Full part numbers (not just model number) must be identical.
Ahh...damn good point. I totally missed that one.