Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

Power Supply Issue?

This is a discussion on Power Supply Issue? within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I am having some problems with this computer I have been using. I recently replaced the mobo, cpu, and memory.

Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 09:55 AM   #1
Registered Member

I am having some problems with this computer I have been using. I recently replaced the mobo, cpu, and memory. I kept my old PSU and case. Here is what I have:

New
AMD Athlon II X4 640
MSI 760GM-E51
Kingston 4GB DDR3 (2x2GB)
1TB WD SATA HDD

OLD
ATX Case
Coolermaster RP-500-PCAR w/o PFC PSU
320 GB Seagate SATA HDD
2-IDE Optical Drives

My problem started about 3 or so months back (before installing new hardware) that when I shut down the computer through the OS, when I went to turn it back on the next morning by the power button on the front it would take up to 1 minute for the computer to power on, but it would always come on.
After I installed the new hardware, it powered on fine the first couple days or so, I hit the power button and it would come on instantly. After that time, it would take some seconds to power up, but would do so. I have had the new hardware in for about a month now and I have always been hesitant to shut it down at night since this started and was proven right this last time I shut it down, got up the next morning and hit the power button, checked on it about 10 minutes later and no power.
The only thing I have checked are the cords, which all checked out. I don't think the hardware is to blame in this instance except for the PSU. Just need some input from others please.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2011, 10:31 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

I'd consider that a PSU issue as well.

Check the voltages coming off it.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:49 AM   #3
Emeritus

Your PSU is pretty low quality. If it's 2 yrs. old or better it's a good candidate for problems even using Onboard Graphics.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2011, 10:51 AM   #4
Registered Member

I would have if I had a way to check it. Is there a way other than using a multimeter?
Old 03-09-2011, 10:52 AM   #5
Registered Member

Yeah I know its low quality, it was on sale and I wanted an upgrade. So should I just jump at changing the PSU and hope it works. Or is there anything else I should check before that?
Old 03-09-2011, 02:33 PM   #6
Emeritus

Replacing that PSU is a good thing even if it doesn't resolve your current problem.

Closed Thread