Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

Power supply issue

This is a discussion on Power supply issue within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi all, I need your help, I have a small problem with my power supply. It has got 20 pin

Closed Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 11:45 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi all,

I need your help, I have a small problem with my power supply. It has got 20 pin to plug onto the motherboard and I need to have 24 pin to plug onto the motherboard. I have got a 12v power supply with 500 watts with 20 pin.

However, I have been advised to get a new power supply with 12v and 350 minmum requirement to be safe.

So I am thinking about to get adapter 20 pin to 24 pin to see if it would work so I could plug them onto the motherboard. Would it cause any harm to the motherboard if I get adapter cable?

Do you think it is a good idea to get adapter cable or if I should get another power supply?

I don't think I would need to get another power supply, because you have only change the watts and the cable, nothing is else.

The motherboard I have got is AsRock 980DE3/U3S3.

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2016, 12:45 PM   #2
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

I am not sure it is the best idea but a 20 pin psu can plug into a 24 pin plug. You may have to play with it to get it in the proper position to go in.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Old 12-17-2016, 12:46 PM   #3
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Do not buy an adapter. It is best that you get the correct power supply.

What are all the model numbers of the parts inside your PC?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2016, 01:49 PM   #4
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

As much as I suggested it can work, Chief is right you are best off getting a 24 pin psu and good quality 500 watt as well.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Old 12-17-2016, 04:37 PM   #5
Registered Member

Okay thank you for your advise guys. Before I buy the new power supply, I would like you to have a quick look for the specs following by:

1x ASRock 980DE3/U3S3 R2.0 Motherboard
1x Nvidia Geforce GT 730 GDDR5
1x AMD FX-6300
2x Corsair 4GB DDR3 Ram
1x DVD RWrite
1x SSD 240GB Hard drive
1x Western Digital 250GB IDE
1x Hitachi Deskstar 320GB IDE
1x DeepCool Gammaxx 400 CPU Cooler PWM Fan with blue LED
1x 80mm blue led fan
1x 120mm blue led fan

The minmium watt it say that I would need at least 331 watt, according to outervision website.

So that mean I would need 350 watt of power supply would be enough for me to run with full of power?

If so, could you please help me with find the power supply with 24 pin power connector that go on the motherboard, 3 x sata cable or more, 2 x IDE cable or more that come with on/off switch at the back of the power supply??

I have some trouble looking for the right power supply with 24 pin as most of the power supply come with 20+4 pin so I would need your help with getting the power supply that come with 24 pin.
Old 12-17-2016, 06:34 PM   #6
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
most of the power supply come with 20+4 pin
This is the norm and is what you want. The 20+4 pin connector is made to fit modern motherboards, while also being back compatible with older equipment.
Old 12-17-2016, 07:22 PM   #7
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

You would be so much better served with a decent 500 watt psu which allows for future expansion especially if you insist on that video card it will get real old quickly I imagine. Any new psu will do as for the 24 pin as gcavan sates the 20+4 is the norm for 24 pin these days and I would hope you would look for Seasonic, XFX or EVGA (550 or higher) or Thermaltake. For the same money you could have a 240 Gb ssd for Windows and a 320 Gb drive for backup.

Old 12-18-2016, 07:10 AM   #8
Visiting Tech

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

The main motherboard power connector is keyed. So if you attempted to put a 20 pin plug into a 24-pin socket, it would only go in one way, and the proper way - unless you really forced it.

Unless your PSU is REALLY REALLY old, most 20-pin supplies have an additional 4-pin connector to go into that extra 4-pin portion of the main connector. In fact, when 24-pin motherboards first started to appear, power supply makers started phasing in 24-pin power supplies where that 24-pin connector was designed to "break-away" the extra 4-pin. They called them 20+4. So look for it. It may be dangling.

But frankly, I have to go back and second Masterchief's suggestion and recommend you don't try to Mickey Mouse the power setup and instead, buy a new supply.

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

───────────────────────────
Closed Thread