Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

Power supply help with my homemade pc..

This is a discussion on Power supply help with my homemade pc.. within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi. I was sopose to get this very good computer about 8 months ago for my birthday but we kept

Closed Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 10:18 PM   #1

Hi.
I was sopose to get this very good computer about 8 months ago for my birthday but we kept running into problems.First we need to buy a new case then a new fan and now once i think everything is finally bought and put together correctly.(my brother put it together)i try turning it on and nothing works..no lights or anything...i even sent it to 2 people that work on computers and they said my brother put everything together right and the problem is the power supply or the motherboard.I really don't want it to be the motherboard because i just bought a new one already.EVERY part in the computer is brand new except for the power supply.That is why i am thinking i may need to buy a new one.Ever since i have been delayed for 8 months and i kept running into things.I am pretty sure this is the last problem then once i get this one solved i can finally use it!I have some weird power supply in it right now that has no *1* -*0* on off switch on it.But i have another power supply on the computer i am using right now that has a on off switch.And i don't even know if the other power supply in the computer has been tested that is why i am thinking that it is mainly the power supply.I have to cut it short by saying the main problem.Is it the power supply or the motherboard that can be messing my computer up?

Thank You.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2009, 10:20 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Could be, It might be shorting out some where
What are your system specs?
mobo
ram
video card
Old 08-28-2009, 10:52 PM   #3

I can't really say because I don't wanna open the computer up and mess with things..If i mess something up i wouldn't have any idea on how to fix it.but if it doesn't turn on at all wouldn't that mainly have to do with the power supply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2009, 03:49 AM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

The main suspect would be the power supply, but if one doesn't know what components you have, it is difficult to say if the power supply is bad or if it is just not up to pulling all the components. I suggest you take it to a legitimate repair person and let them fix it for you since you are afraid to open it up.
Old 08-29-2009, 04:28 PM   #5

well i just got done asking a few friends and a few people and they all know where the power supply came from.They all said when i asked if it ever worked,that they don't know if it ever worked because the computer it was on was never used.so if that may be any help.
Old 08-29-2009, 06:03 PM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

Ask one of those friends if you can try their power supply in your machine to see if that makes the machine work.
Old 08-29-2009, 06:17 PM   #7

well my brother is soppose to try his until i though of an idea *hey what if i use mine on the computer i'm using right now*so now im trying to get him to put that one in to see if it works.He keeps saying hell do it later over and over.why cant he just do it NOW?i have been waiting 8 months and now that i finally have a great idea he has to slack now.and i dont know how to install one myself so i don't want to mess anything up.

EDIT:
Ok i found the mother board box here are the specs and the name.

Winfast NF4UK8AA powered by Foxcann.

based on nvidia nforce ultra chip set
support socket 939 for AMD Athlon 64 Processor
support DDR400/333/266mhz memory
support USB 2.0
support PCI express 16 x
8 channel audio on board
1394 on board
GBE LAN on board
support RAID function
serial ATA on board

i don't know if that helps but that is what was on the motherboard box.
Old 08-29-2009, 06:23 PM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Do not use the Power supply from the computer that is not working in the computer you are on now because it may be faulty and damage the computer.
If you want to take the power supply from the working computer and put it in the non working one.
Old 08-29-2009, 06:26 PM   #9

that is what i want to do.
i am trying to get the power supply from the working computer onto the one that is not working.
the non-working one is the good one while the one that i am using right now is crummy and can't play barely any games..
Old 08-30-2009, 04:42 PM   #10

Any one,a response would be nice.
Old 08-30-2009, 04:45 PM   #11
Troubled

My System

We need this information for the computer you want the new PSU for:
Motherboard
CPU
RAM
Graphics card

Until we have that information, there is no way we can help you.
Old 08-30-2009, 06:11 PM   #12
TSF Team, Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phædrus2401 View Post
We need this information for the computer you want the new PSU for:
Motherboard
CPU
RAM
Graphics card

Until we have that information, there is no way we can help you.
Amen, please help us to help you!
Old 08-30-2009, 06:15 PM   #13
TSF Enthusiast

My System

When you can also supply make and Wattage of the working power supply
Old 09-04-2009, 10:55 PM   #14

Hi.

There was a recent topic I posted on this but It got deleted or something so here goes.
Apparently my brother knows how to make and put together a computer.(i don't really trust that)and he put a pretty good one together for me.I was sopose to get it eight months ago but we ran into many problems and road blocks along the way.Finally when I try and turn it on with cords inserted in all.NOTHING happens.No lights.No sounds.Nothing..I'm thinking it is most likely the power supply because it is the only part that is not new in the computer.I don't even know if it ever worked!So I am just here asking.

1)If I take the power supply out of the computer I am using right now will it blow my new computer up or will anything bad happen to it if I try it on the new computer?

2)Will a power supply the same size as the one already inserted work or will it need a *special* power supply?

3)Where can i get a good tutorial on how to install a power supply and if possible where to put all the cords.(including motherboard and every cord in the computer).Basically a full tutorial.

I would greatly appreciate it...I have been very depressed the past few weeks because of this and my brother is being lazy and won't check it for me.I guess me waiting eight months has not got through his thick skull..Anyway,Thank you.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:34 PM   #15
Enthusiast

My System

can you post the specs of your pc and the make and model of the power supply that is in it (you will find the make model and wattage of the power supply on a sticker on the power supply).

Have you made sure everything is connected to the power supply and motherboard?

If you are going to remove the power supply you have to make sure it is switched of (the will be a switch on it) and that it is switched off at the wall too. You then just unconnect all the cables and unscrew it then do the reverse for installing one.

But post your computer specs and psu make model and wattage first so we can advise you better.
Old 09-05-2009, 12:16 AM   #16
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

your thread was not deleted

you failed to reply to it

threads merged

Old 09-05-2009, 11:41 AM   #17

oh sorry..did not know threads merge.
Umm well that wattage is 115 and the model is ATX 300 12E.I already gave the mother board name in an earlier post i think so that is not needed.Also there is no on off switch on the power supply like all the others I have had...?Every computer I have had has a on off switch on the power supply except this one.I'm thinking of opening it up and redoing it all myself when my brother is gone tonight.He gets REALLY mad for some reason saying *your gonna f*** it up,you don't know what your doing*type stuff.I found a good tutorial on it as well that may help me.But the tutorial has a different motherboard.Anyway,if the wattage is that little number on the back of the power supply than it's 115 and the name of the power supply and motherboard have been posted.

Oh and umm I think I mentioned that this motherboard has everything built in like graphics and all that.But the name of motherboard and power supply have been said and I don't know where to get the RAM name.(responding to a few posts above)
Old 09-05-2009, 06:56 PM   #18
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

you need to upgrade the psu

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...corsair%2b550w

Closed Thread