Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

Power supply fan current

This is a discussion on Power supply fan current within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a corsair CX600 PSU that's been running fine for 3 years. All of a sudden it became very

Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 08:00 AM   #1
Registered Member

I have a corsair CX600 PSU that's been running fine for 3 years. All of a sudden it became very loud.

The fan inside the PSU was broken, so I replaced it, which fixed the noise issue.

The old fan was 12V and so is the new one.

However the old fan was 0.3A and the new one is 0.16A. Will this be a problem? The new fan does spin (I'm not sure if it spins at the right speed though).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2016, 08:37 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to jimscreechy

The 'General' rule of thumb is the more current the fan uses the faster it spins, but the specifications are the only real way of knowing what the RPM or speed is at a standard Voltage (without speed control mechanisms enabled) The more clever PSU also regulate speed based on load or temperature, but this can also be based on the expected load of fan with an 'out of spec' unit, this could still be problematic.

It is normally best to replace 'Like for like' if not in RPM (as you may not know what the original was), then for current rating, this way you to tend to be in a safe haven. If your not 'loading' your PSU its not too much of an issue, but you may not even know what sort of power levels your drawing.

I suppose I'm not really answering the question, but unless you know what your system is pulling current wise, to be on the safe side, I would suggest a similarly spec'd fan.
Old 04-01-2016, 07:06 AM   #3
Visiting Tech

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Quote:
Will this be a problem?
Probably not. That just means the maximum current it will pull. Beyond that, it really tells us nothing else because it is the design of the actual motor that then affects how fast it will spin (RPM), and it is the relationship of the RPM plus the blade design (pitch, width, surface area, and length) that then determines the amount of air (CFM) the blades will push (or pull).

Sadly, you told us absolutely nothing about your computer or this PSU so we have no clue the demands your computer may be putting on this PSU, nor do we know the specs/capacity of this PSU to know if it is working near capacity most of the time (thus needing more cooling) or if it is just loafing along most of the time not even breaking a sweat.

Note most (if not all) of the better PSUs have fan speed controllers that adjust the fan speed based on the load encountered or temperature in the PSU. Many will not even spin up the fan until some load/temperature is threshold is crossed to help keep noise levels down. But again, because we don't know what PSU you have, we don't know if yours has a fan speed controller, or if it just runs full speed all the time.

You need to determine the maximum power demands of your computer (motherboard, CPU, GPU, RAM, drives), then determine how much headroom your PSU has. If your computer requires 275W and you only have a 300W supply, that fan may not be able to move enough air to keep the PSU properly cooled. If you have a 600W supply and a 275W load, I doubt the PSU is working hard enough to require more air flow.

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

───────────────────────────
Closed Thread