Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

Power Supply Failure

This is a discussion on Power Supply Failure within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, I'm afraid I'm having issues with my power supply. I have little experience building my own systems, but I

Closed Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 04:37 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello,

I'm afraid I'm having issues with my power supply. I have little experience building my own systems, but I made the unfortunate error of purchasing a Logisys power supply.

Power Supply purchased:
Newegg.com - LOGISYS Computer PS575XBK 575W ATX12V SLI Ready Power Supply

I replaced the original Bestec 250 watt power supply in my HP Pavilion. I have not altered any other components, yet after two weeks of use I am having problems.

While playing BF3, the power supply's fans became louder than normal, and suddenly the monitor went into standby. The power light was still on, but the HDD light now longer showed any activity.

Is this PSU done? It still boots, but if gaming for a few hours or if the PC is left on for a few days, this same issue occurs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2012, 06:21 PM   #2
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

What model Pavilion? What graphics card is being used?

As you already know Logisys is one of the worst PSU's you can have.

How are the temps? CPU and Graphics card?

My best recommendation would be to return the PSU (if possible) and upgrade to a quality unit.
Old 06-09-2012, 05:16 AM   #3
Registered Member

I am using an HP Pavilion P7-1037C. I am using an ATI Radeon HD 4670. Using both my OEM 250 Watt PSU and the Logisys PSU, my temps for both the CPU and GPU are usually in the 60s. I have never seen them go into the 70s. I don't think heat is the issue. I just can't believe that a 575 Watt PSU couldn't handle what a 250 watt PSU can.

Oh well, off to find a replacement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2012, 05:31 AM   #4
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
I just can't believe that a 575 Watt PSU couldn't handle what a 250 watt PSU can.
This is a very low quality 575W.

What was the reason for replacing the previous Power Supply? Hoppefully no other component was damaged.

When looking for a replacement stay away from the bargain brands.

I would suggest a minimum 550W quality unit for your setup.
Old 06-09-2012, 06:26 AM   #5
Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aethyon View Post
I just can't believe that a 575 Watt PSU couldn't handle what a 250 watt PSU can.
Logisys PSU's are very poor quality and just because the label says 575W doesn't meant it can actually produce that power.
I would also suggest a 550W minimum good quality PSU.
SeaSonic-XFX-Corsair (not the CX-GS-M Series) are top quality.

Closed Thread