Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

Power Supply compatibility?

This is a discussion on Power Supply compatibility? within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello guys, I'm looking to build my first computer. I plan on getting 2 8800GTXs in SLI and the EVGA

Closed Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 12:40 AM   #1

Exclamation

Hello guys, I'm looking to build my first computer. I plan on getting 2 8800GTXs in SLI and the EVGA 680i motherboard. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813188013

I know it's going to take a hefty power supply as well, and I have chosen the PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 1KW-SR EPS12V listed here https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817703007

However, someone had stated that that power supply doesn't support "atx v2", which is what the motherboard is. I don't know what that means exactly but can someone explain and confirm that? Will the power supply work at all with that motherboard?

Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2007, 01:07 AM   #2

It appears that it will do the job just fine, just look at the stats, the only question I have for you is why do you need 1kw, how many drives are you going to be running (more than two?). I understand that these new cards require about 80w each, but if the rest of your build is pretty usual then you could get away with a coolermaster 650w or something like that. I have heard that thing buzz's like a bee when it comes into play, from a buddy who has it in their new quadcore build that will be done when he has the money to get the board and processor.

Model Turbo-Cool 1KW-SR
SPEC
Type EPS12V
Maximum Power 1000W Continuous @ 50C
Fans 1
PFC Active
Main Connector 24Pin
Dual +12V No
PCI-E Connectors 4 x 6Pin
SLI Support NVIDIA SLI Certified (Dual 8800 GTX and below)
Modular Cabling Support No
Power Good Signal 300ms
Hold-up Time 32ms
Efficiency 83%
Over Voltage Protection +3.3V, +5V, +12V
Input Voltage 90 - 264 V
Input Frequency Range 47 - 63 Hz
Input Current 15A @ 115V
Output [email protected],[email protected], [email protected] (78A Peak), [email protected], [email protected]
MTBF 120,000 hours
Approvals UL, cUL, CE, TUV, RoHS
Features
Connectors 1 x Main connector (24-pin)
1 x 12V (4-pin)
2 x 12V(8-pin)
8 x peripheral (4-pin)
6 x SATA
1 x Floppy
4 x PCI-E
Features Selected by AMD for its Quad FX Platforms and by NVIDIA for its Dual 8800GTX demos, the new SR version of the renowned Turbo-Cool 1KW delivers 1000 watts (1 Kilowatt) of continuous, rock-solid power with a peak output of 1100 Watts! Built with three AC-DC power modules , the Turbo-Cool 1KW-SR is an efficient, amazingly quiet, EPS12V / SLI power supply with 72A (80A peak) of single-rail 12VDC in a form factor that fits most ATX cases. Truly, the ultimate computer power supply!
Old 04-03-2007, 01:14 AM   #3

Well, I wouldn't really say that I need 1 kw of power, just building a top-of-the-line gaming rig that will last for a good while. I'm sure I will be adding more to in in the mere future. ;)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2007, 01:25 AM   #4

cool, that power supply was designed as such.

Nice mobo, I would go with a DFI rig but that is my opinion, I hope this rig works out good for you, sounds like it will be a screamer.

ATX 2 is kind of a joke, it just is some extra connectors, for the vid cards, really that is all it is. And that PSU has all the connectors you will ever need.
Old 04-03-2007, 06:43 AM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to linderman

The turbo cool is an awesome choice for that rig in my opinion. Mainly due to the construction of it being a single 12V rail. No load balancing worries, or worries about over drawing the 12volt rails.

how can you beat 82 amps on a single rail; gone is the balancing act!
Old 04-03-2007, 06:57 AM   #6
Roaming To Help

That 1kW-SR is very loud! I am not kidding, it is also known as a "leaf blower". Its the loudest PSU most people have tested or used. The more the watts pile up the louder it gets until it reaches around 70dBA! I think something other like a SilverStone Zeus will do much better, price/performance wise, size of the PSU and noise pollution. Bear in mind all them is what makes a PSU appealing too.

I kept it for 10 days the first time before absolutely getting sick of its noise. And unlike most users I was pulling around 700W from it continuously. At 250W and above, its just not something to tolerate with ease.

I don't know if its a recent trend emerging (which others have hypothesized) but enthusiasts with that same rig you're planning of building are keeping an eye out on these Turbo Cool 1kW-SR. 4 suddenly dead inside a month now and counting (5th 2 months back). 2 by the owner of XS with another by an OC'er on OCIA and 2 by the person whose writing this

Just thought I'd let you know. All of us moved to the Galaxy 1kW or Galaxy DXX 1kW instead.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:57 PM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

My System

I have heard reports of some owners stating they were very loud, but I incorrectly assumed the size and output of the unit was due to make more noise.

But at that level of noise, I would have to agree their are better options in the 1Kw arena.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:02 PM   #8

I'd choose reliability over noise anyday, even if that means having a leaf blower. :P
Old 04-04-2007, 01:38 AM   #9
Roaming To Help

The noise of the PSU is massively underrated compared to other 1kW units

If you're not bothered about the price, size (9.1" + 3/4" for cabling - most cases can't fit it) and noise of the unit, then it's a very good PSU and is reliable usually.
Don't expect to use the new graphics cards coming out though, they require 6-pin PCIe and 8-pin PCIe (this doesn't have the latter).
Old 04-12-2007, 01:32 AM   #10

Got this baby, slapped it in (fit perfectly) into my midtower Zalman Fatal1ty, and is VERY QUIET. I have no idea where you got the whole leaf blower idea from, but this power supply is much quieter than my FSP Epsilon 600Watt. Everything is so quiet. Despite noise not being an issue to me in the first place... I'm impressed.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:18 AM   #11
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Deja:

I am happy to hear to you got your rig together an running smooth!

keep an eye on your case cooling, especially with TWO 8800's !

I have seen a big trend towards full tower cases for rigs like yours such as the Coolermaster Stacker 830 >>>>>>>>>>> I would hate to see you shorten the life of such high end parts as a result of just case heat
that would really bite!

If I had the case for a rig like yours; I would make sure to be running at least 3 120mm fans that are capable of 2600 rpms each!

enjoy; you built a killer rig
Closed Thread