Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

Power supplies and electrical surge problems

This is a discussion on Power supplies and electrical surge problems within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi everyone, Recently my computer has been restarting with a waning message saying that ASUS anti-surge protection was activated and

Closed Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 07:31 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi everyone,

Recently my computer has been restarting with a waning message saying that ASUS anti-surge protection was activated and restarted my computer. This usually happened when I first turned on my computer after switching the wall sockets on, otherwise the computer 99% of the time would remain on until I shut it down without any problems. While I'm not completely new to computer hardware, the PSU is the component I'm not very knowledgeable about and given that surges can damage other components I thought I'd get some advice here before I buy anything.

My PSU is an EZCOOL 650W:

EZCool Silent 650W Power Supply (PSU) - PS-05 - Scan.co.uk

As you can tell, a budget choice - and it certainly isn't silent despite what the title says. I want to invest in something better, but I don't know how to choose the right wattage, voltage or ampage, or to tell if a PSU is too powerful or not powerful enough. Any advice on this would be much appreciated. Here are a few I've been looking at:

Alpine 700W PSU with 120mm Quiet Fan - ALPINE-BLUE-700W - Scan.co.uk

Ace 700w Black PSU 12cm Red fan - PSUACE700BR - Scan.co.uk

Powercool PCPC650AUBA 650W Power Supply (PSU) - PC-650AUBA - Scan.co.uk

Corsair TX650 650W Power Supply (PSU) - Factory Refurbished - CP-9020038-NA/RF - Scan.co.uk

PC Specs (if you need to know more let me know):

CPU: AMD FX 4100 Quad-core Processor 3.6 GHz
Graphics: AMD Radeon 6800 Series
RAM: 8GB
HDD: 1TB
Motherboard: ASUS M578L LE

All components are two years old.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2014, 05:06 AM   #2
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
This usually happened when I first turned on my computer after switching the wall sockets on
Not a failure and replacing the power supply will not correct it. Your motherboard is detecting the rapidly changing voltage level when you switch off/on the wall socket. Feature may be disbled in system BIOS.

The only supply of those linked I would trust at all is the Corsair. You would be no better off (and probably worse) with either of the others.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:21 AM   #3
Gone | Not Forgotten

Maybe time to have an electrician come in and check your house wiring.

BG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2014, 05:33 AM   #4
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

Why? The system is performing exactly as it is designed.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:59 AM   #5
Emeritus

Your PSU is not a brand we would recommend but, as noted, it is not the cause of the problem you are experiencing. Personally, I would use an electrical outlet that is not on a switched circuit.
If/when you replace the EZCool, I would recommend doing so very soon, with a good quality PSU, use SeaSonic-XFX-Antec HCG for insured quality.

Old 03-20-2014, 12:10 PM   #6
Registered Member

Thanks everyone - glad to know my computer's okay for now. And thanks Tyree for the recommendation, I'll look into it. Just for future reference, how would I know if a particular PSU is suitable for a computer build? How do I know if it is too powerful or not powerful enough?
Old 03-20-2014, 03:07 PM   #7
Emeritus

You can't really have too much power but you can have more than needed.
Easiest scenario, just ask on this forum .......or look at the minimum power recommended for the GPU and add at least 50W.

Old 03-21-2014, 11:40 PM   #8
Enthusiast

My System

power supplies only use what is needed but if you go for a 1000w psu and only need 500w then the psu efficiency can drop as Tyree said loook on the manufacturers site for the graphics card power requirements then add 50w.

Seasonic,xfx and antec HCG are good makes the ones you have listed originally like the EZcooler and Alpine are crap.
Old 03-23-2014, 05:42 PM   #9
Registered Member

Thanks everyone! Your help is really appreciated. :)

So I've been doing a bit of searching based on your advice, found this PSU, what do you think?

XFX P1-650S-NLB9 650W Power Supply (PSU) 80+ Bronze - Scan.co.uk

Also, what is modular and semi-modular in a nutshell? It doesn't make much of a difference to me seeing as my current PSU is not modular, but it's the only negative thing I found in reviews so I was curious as to what it means.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:22 PM   #10
Emeritus

The XFX is a top quality SeaSonic made unit.

From Wiki: A modular power supply provides a detachable cable system, offering the ability to remove unused connections at the expense of a small amount of extra electrical resistance introduced by the additional connector. This reduces clutter, removes the risk of dangling cables interfering with other components, and can improve case airflow. Many modular supplies have some permanent multi-wire cables with connectors at the ends, such as PC main and 4-pin Molex, though newer supplies marketed as "Fully Modular" allow even these to be disconnected

Old 03-23-2014, 07:49 PM   #11
Game Team Tech

your cpu only needs 95w then add your gpu power requirements, even a 550w power supply but like the other members have said you can buy a cheap psu or this xfx comes with a 5 year Warranty.

Eclipse Computers - XFX 650W P1-650S Core Edition 80+ Bronze, Single Rail PSU
Old 04-01-2014, 10:45 AM   #12
Registered Member

Hello everyone,

I wanted to give you an update after just installing the XFX 650W. The PSU certainly sounds quieter and the cabling is more professional, so I thank you for the recommendation. I also want to say that I am aware I have left my threads unanswered for a few days, but I wanted to wait until the PSU arrived before continuing my discussions. Thank you all for your help, it's much appreciated.

Unfortunately the power surge notification now happens every time I turn on the computer. I went ahead and did a few tests to eliminate some variables:

1) It's not the cabling: brand new cable and brand new plug hub, same brand and model, with surge protection.
2) I'm not really sure if it's the switched plugs or not. Just in case you're not aware, pretty much all plug sockets in UK households are switched, so I don't have much choice in terms of circuitry. With the EZCool, I waited 10 seconds before turning on the computer, and got no error. Now I get an error every time - whether I wait 10 seconds or 10 minutes, whether I shut down normally or not.
3) It might be the motherboard - could it be that the motherboard is not up to date? If not, how would I go about updating it?

I'm now undecided as to whether to switch back to the EZCool or not. Right now I'm testing as to whether it's the PSU itself by leaving the computer on for the next few hours. I will update you if I have any problems, but so far after an initial error, I get none.

Thanks everyone.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:37 AM   #13
Emeritus

Definitely keep the XFX PSU. Why is it necessary to to turn off the electrical outlet with the switch? What happens if you just leave it turned on?

Old 04-01-2014, 12:01 PM   #14
Registered Member

Nothing bad, I turn it off because the electrical equipment makes an annoying ringing noise when the plug is left on.

I had a look at the support section at ASUS's website and the motherboard's BIOS is out of date. Could that have an effect?
Old 04-01-2014, 12:27 PM   #15
Emeritus

The Bios being the problem would be a stretch. If electrical equipment, of any kind, makes noise there's a problem with the equipment or the power source.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:45 PM   #16
Registered Member

Okay, after a week's worth of testing it seems that power surge detections are limited to when I turn the computer on. Otherwise I haven't faced any problems and so I'm going to assume it's either a false positive or something to do with the switch circuits. So I'm going to switch off surge detection in the Bios settings. If I do turn out to be wrong and there are surge problems, what would be the signs I should look out for?
Closed Thread