Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

Power randomly shuts off

This is a discussion on Power randomly shuts off within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Over the past two days, my computer has randomly shut off, as if the power just dies. I have never

Closed Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 05:36 PM   #1
Registered Member

Over the past two days, my computer has randomly shut off, as if the power just dies. I have never experienced this problem before. It shuts off without warning. I do not think that the problem is related to a virus. Could the computer be overheating? I hear the fan running, so I think that is working fine. Maybe it's just getting old, as I've had it since December 2004. Any advice in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

My specs -

Compaq Presario R3360
Pentium 4
3.00 GHz
384 MB RAM

Microsoft Windows XP home edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 2

Thanks again - John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2007, 05:43 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

There are two things you might do that will give us some clues. First of all, download and run SensorView Pro with both at-rest and under stress temps and please also check the voltages. Might be a good idea to just post what you are seeing and that will help us. Second, please post the brand name, wattage, and amps per rail for the +12 rail. That info should be listed on the side of the power supply.

Post back with questions/concerns.

https://www.stvsoft.com/download.php?id=122
Old 04-28-2007, 05:50 PM   #3

Idea

There are a number of possible reasons and that is one of them, but to check the temps which seems most likely with the info so far get and run Everest (in my sigh) and that will show you the temps of your system hopefully, alternately try speedfan for the same info from memory, but when was the last time you cleaned out your case ?
Also what is your power supply ? you will need to open the side of the case to read from the label for that info, because it could be early signs of a dying PSU, but check the temps first as thats quick and easy, and best of all free lol, it wont hurt to clean the case out carefully either, many use a can of air for this, although I'd suggest doing it outside or your place will get the fall out from it, report back with the results and if you have a spare PSU to check out that angle.

*edit
Wish I was a faster typer lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2007, 05:58 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

Gotcha on that one 8210GUY I have been up late at nights practicing speed typing (not)

Anyhow juliano521, both of us actually gave you the same advice except for the dust you need to blow out. I forgot that one, so you need to do that and run the programs that have been offered (whichever ones you wish, because they basically do the same thing.) I always like to run two of them just to make sure that they are accurate or reading the same.

Let us know how you come out with the results.
Closed Thread