Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

Power On Issue

This is a discussion on Power On Issue within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I am involved with a charity and we have received an old Dell Optiplex 745, which is running Windows 10

Closed Thread

Old 12-15-2017, 03:46 AM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

I am involved with a charity and we have received an old Dell Optiplex 745, which is running Windows 10 now.

We are having a problem with power-on (not consistent).

It is the practice at the end of each day to shut down the PC and to switch off the power at the wall socket.

The issue is that when I switch on the power supply at the wall socket, the power comes on at the PC. This is intermittent e.g. I tested (PC was shutdown and the power socket was powered off. After a while, the power at the socket was switched on this morning with the following results:-

1) Everything worked as would be expected (no power-on at the PC)
2) When the power switch at the socket was switched on, the power light on the PC flickered, but the PC did NOT power up.
3) When the power switch at the socket was switched on, the PC powered up.

I'm assuming that we have a PSU issue. Can this be confirmed and what is the danger to the operating system of this behaviour?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2017, 07:59 AM   #2
Visiting Tech

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Quote:
I'm assuming that we have a PSU issue.
Maybe but it may be a BIOS Menu setting. You need to boot into your motherboard's BIOS Setup Menu and look for the power settings. This feature is called different things by different makers so I cannot be specific for your motherboard.

But for my Gigabyte board, it is listed under Power Management > AC BACK. You probably want it set to "Always Off" (The system stays off upon the return of the AC power).

By the way, you might consider leaving the power outlet enabled. Windows 10, by default, will apply critical updates in the middle of the night. Keeping Windows fully updated is one of the key user responsibilities to keep you and your computer safe and secure.

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

───────────────────────────
Old 12-16-2017, 08:19 AM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

Thanks Bill.

I'll have a look and report back

Tommy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2017, 03:58 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

Hi Bill

Attached are three pictures showing the Bios settings. I assume I should change the setting in the first picture to "OFF" (and therefore assume that the setting in the second picture becomes irrelevant).

Should I make any changes to the settings in the third picture?

Tommy
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Shed_Bios.pdf (637.3 KB, 8 views)
Old 12-19-2017, 08:27 AM   #5
Visiting Tech

My System

IMO, you need to make two changes. According to the first screen shot, the computer is set to turn on automatically at the same time each day Monday through Friday. That should be set to "Off".

The third screen shot suggests that was used as a file server. It is set so someone (hopefully an authorized administrator) can remotely connect to its network interface card (NIC) and "wake" the computer.

Both screen clearly say the factory defaults are "Off".

You can change these to Off, but if me, since there may have been other changes you don't need, I might consider resetting the entire BIOS back to the factory defaults.

Either way, make sure you select "Save and Exit" on the way out. If you do a total reset, you should probably boot directly back into the BIOS Setup Menu and verify the date and time are correct, and the Boot Order is set with your boot drive ahead of other drives (if applicable). If you make any changes, be sure to Save and Exit. If you just exit, any changes will not be saved.

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

───────────────────────────
Old 12-19-2017, 08:54 AM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

Thanks Bill.

I appreciate your support.

Tommy
Old 12-19-2017, 09:35 AM   #7
Visiting Tech

My System

No problem.