Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

Possible faulty RAM? system power-cycling

This is a discussion on Possible faulty RAM? system power-cycling within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. So recently I decided that I'd upgrade my RAM to 16GB and I purchased a 2 x 8GB kit. After

Closed Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 12:53 AM   #1
Registered Member

Question

So recently I decided that I'd upgrade my RAM to 16GB and I purchased a 2 x 8GB kit. After installing it by following the proper procedure and taking the proper precautions - pretty much the same as the sticky on the forum - my computer would repeatedly power-cycle; would not even get to the POST.

When I put back the old ram - 2x4GB corsair vengeance low-profile - everything works fine. The Crucial website says that their kit is guaranteed compatible with my motherboard so at this stage I'm thinking the RAM was dead on arrival? unless I'm doing something wrong, would love to hear anyone's take on this.

Installation procedure followed:
1. unplugged power
2. cleared CMOS by removing battery
3. replaced ram
4. reinstalled battery
5. plugged in the power

P.S. I've tried it in another system with the same motherboard but slightly less powerful PSU and the same problem occurs.

Hardware:
RAM: Crucial Ballistix XT 2x8GB BLS2K8G3D18ADS3
Motherboard: GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3
PSU: Enermax Maxrevo 1200W EMR1200EWT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2014, 01:41 AM   #2
Registered Member

Hi raisk1,

My condolences my friend, I had the same issue in the past, and it is truly a horrible hassle.

First off, I went to Gigabyte's Memory compatibility list for your motherboard, here, and upon extensive searching, your memory kit was not listed, which may be the reason that you're experiencing this issue. An odd discovery, but not an end-all-be-all answer.

The specifications for your motherboard do state that it supports 1866 MHz memory modules, so theoretically, there should be no issues.

The next step is to run MemTest86, download it from PassMark MemTest86 - Memory Diagnostic Tool.

You will need to create a bootable USB with the .iso file you downloaded. For this, I like to use Rufus - Create bootable USB drives the easy way. Open the program, and select your USB drive. Browse for the .iso, and follow the prompts.

Shut down your machine, and make sure that your computer has USB drives set as the priority boot option. TO do this, enter your computer's UEFI/BIOS by starting your PC, and then pressing either F8, F2, F12, the Del key repetitively. Navigate to the "boot" tab, and make the first option your USB drive.

Run this for at least 8 passes (several hours - best to run overnight). If even one error shows up within those passes, you have a faulty kit of RAM; conduct an RMA with your supplier (retail store or warehouse from which you purchased your kit), or with Crucial themselves.

Post back with an update :D

Regards,
Ronan
Old 04-03-2014, 02:00 AM   #3
Troubled

I would check your slot placement. What works with 2x4 you would think would work with 2x8 (slot wise) but it's not always the case. Find out what (1) stick will work and go from there. Don't get to anal about memtest86 for now just find a stick that works in a slot, then try the other stick in the same slot (by itself). See what happens. If you have a stick failure then yes memtest86 like the previous poster suggested (only 7 passes are needed though).

One thing - with regards to 'some' mobos they need a 'jolt' to take a different memory configuration. You might also try clearing CMOS. POst back with any results and good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2014, 06:38 AM   #4
Emeritus

Crucial's standard RAM is almost always fool proof but their Ballistix Series is the exception. It is noted for compatibility, as well as reliability, issues.
Trying the RAM in another system, if it was compatible with the Mobo, pretty much insures the RAM is defective.
My best recommendation, for your GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 Mobo, would be to return for a refund and purchase a 2x8GB match pair of G.Skill or Corsair 1600MHz.

Old 04-03-2014, 09:50 AM   #5
Registered Member

thanks for the replies everyone, I am unable to use memtest86+ at all because the system just power-cycles and does not even get that far.

For slot placement; I've tried all the combinations that are possible according to the motherboard manual, I have also tried the sticks individually but still get the same result.

for compatibility I checked my motherboard specs to make sure it would be compatible; gigabyte's compatibility list didn't show this particular model but they warn that the list isn't comprehensive, so I checked with crucial here 16GB kit (8GBx2), Ballistix 240-pin DIMM, DDR3 PC3-14900 upgrades for Giga-Byte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 Motherboard, CT4162162 from Crucial.com and it shows that it is compatible (hopefully that link works).

@ChronoGeek could you please explain what you mean by 'some mobos need a Jolt'? lol
Old 04-03-2014, 01:24 PM   #6
Emeritus

Memory Support for your Mobo is DDR3 2133/1866/1600/1333/1066 MHz.
In theory, all RAM in that category "should" work indicating the RAM you have is either defective or the Mobo doesn't like the particular sticks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyree View Post
Crucial's standard RAM is almost always fool proof but their Ballistix Series is the exception. It is noted for compatibility, as well as reliability, issues.
G.Skill and Corsair are good brand options for reliability and you will see no advantage with 1866 over 1600MHz.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:30 PM   #7
Registered Member

Thanks for the replies everyone, I will claim the warranty on the RAM. BTW this is the 2nd kit of RAM that I ordered from PCcasegear that turned out to be faulty recently, I've had good experiences with them in the past in regard to all my other hardware, maybe its just my run of bad luck.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:37 PM   #8
Troubled

By "Jolt" I mean sometimes something added hardware wise won't function totally correct until a CMOS reset. Sometimes it's a CPU going from a dual core to a quad. Sometimes it's memory. CMOS clearing tend to wake a motherboard up or get it's attention. It's not always the case but sometimes. Good luck with your replacement kit I hope it works out well for you.
Old 04-04-2014, 05:59 AM   #9
Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisk1 View Post
Thanks for the replies everyone, I will claim the warranty on the RAM. BTW this is the 2nd kit of RAM that I ordered from PCcasegear that turned out to be faulty recently, I've had good experiences with them in the past in regard to all my other hardware, maybe its just my run of bad luck.
Brand & specs of the other bad RAM?

Old 04-04-2014, 08:17 AM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyree View Post
Brand & specs of the other bad RAM?
It was corsair vengeance low-profile 16gb 4x4 kit, 2 of the sticks turned out bad when I ran memtest, lol RAM is such a pain in the backside.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:55 AM   #11
Emeritus

Do you recall the specs of the Corsair?

Closed Thread