Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

pc won't start up

This is a discussion on pc won't start up within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. ok, my computer will NOT start up, I have tried a lot of things like: unplugging everything from the mobo

Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 01:25 PM   #1

ok, my computer will NOT start up, I have tried a lot of things like: unplugging everything from the mobo and then plugging them backup to removing all of my video cards etc nothing works. when I have my power supply plugged in the green light is on my mobo, which means it is giving power, both of my power supplies give power so it might be a short in the power supply or maybe the mobo is dead, i don't know.

i have already done all of your average dell type tech support questions like "is your computer plugged up" and such but nothing works.

Before you guys ask my specs are:
PC Power & Cooling 510 ATX-Deluxe PSU (link incase you need to see it; https://www.bigbruin.com/html/pcpower510.htm)
Thermaltake’s Power Express 250W SLI-Dedicated Graphic Card Power Supply (link to this psu; https://www.hardwarehounds.com/techsp...rexpress.shtml)
2x MSI Nvidia 8800 GTS (sli)
Creative X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
ASUS A8N SLI-Deluxe motherboard
2x hard drives (320 gig, 300 gig)
2x 1 GB OCZ RAM sticks

Thanks for any assistance you might give.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2009, 01:30 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

When you say it won't start up, exactly what happens when you hit the on button?
Old 01-04-2009, 01:38 PM   #3

nothing happens, it just sits there. I have even tried switching the Power Switch and the Reset Switch on the mobo hoping that if i pushed the reset button it would come on, i thought for a while it was the power button that was messed up but i don't think it is
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2009, 01:57 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

No power surge or anything like for a second or so?
Old 01-04-2009, 01:57 PM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

Go to the front panel header and make sure you have the Pwr Sw on the right pins.
Old 01-04-2009, 02:02 PM   #6

no, nothing comes on at all, the only thing that is on is the motherboard light which indicates it has power.

oh another thing, i don't know if this will help or not, but the problem started about 2 weeks ago when i pulled on my mouse just to try and get more slack, but the SLI-Dedicated psu power cable came unplugged. after i rebooted it back up it worked fine, but when i noticed i couldnt go into stand by any more because if i tried the 3 lights on the front of the SLI psu would stay on and the fans would keep running and then the 3 lights would flicker and everything would just shut off, so i was like "well ok ill just shut it down from now on no worries" then a couple of days later, it started doing the same thing (minus the fans staying on) even when i tried shutting down. dont know if this additional information helps but that was the start of the problem
Old 01-04-2009, 03:04 PM   #7
TSF Team, Emeritus

First of all clear the cmos and then tell us what it does. Also, take out one of those graphics cards and set that area in your bios to "Auto."

Tell us what happens when you boot up. I am a little concerned about the power supply setup and here is why. Your power supply (original) comes through the motherboard to power your graphics cars. We both know that a 500 watt won't do the job for two of them. However, you have used an auxillary supply to power the video cards which will help. My concern is if it will help enough by using an auxilliary supply for the auxillary power leads. I just wanted you to be aware (and you probably are) that the power supply in the regular unit is still used to power a great deal of the video card needs, unless you have a setup than is different than what I think you have.
Old 01-04-2009, 03:30 PM   #8

i removed the mobo battery, cleared CMOS, put the battery back in but nothing works even after that. one guy on a forum said to remove the battery for 15-20 minutes and plug it back in then it should work but of course, it didnt.

i removed one of the video cards month or two ago anyway, i haven't really play any newer games lately so i really didnt have a need for both cards
Old 01-04-2009, 05:03 PM   #9
TSF Team, Emeritus

You did unplug it from the wall to clear the cmos didn't you and you put it back exactly like you had it, didn't you?
Old 01-04-2009, 05:07 PM   #10

yes, isn't there some sort of way to start the computer up from inside the case ?
Old 01-04-2009, 05:07 PM   #11
TSF Team, Emeritus

One more test and then we will move on to other measures.

Take the Off/On switch (2 wire) from the pins on that motherboard and use a paper clip or screwdriver to short across those two pins. Don't leave it on there, just about a second and then remove it. That is a test to make sure the case switch is fine. Be sure you have the power supply on (you did make sure the power supply switch is on, didn't you?) when you do this.

If this does not turn it on, then continue to the next suggestion:

Frankly, I would take out the auxillary power supply, hook everything up (one card and if you have a spare that is weaker, then use that) and then bench test it. That is the way most techs on here build their own rigs:

Bench Test Your System
Old 01-05-2009, 12:50 PM   #12

i have yet to try the screwdriver trick you mentioned but i have figured out a little "trick" myself. i simply unplug the power cable from psu 2 and wait about 20-30 minutes flip off psu 1, plug in psu 2, flip psu 2 on (since psu 1 is "off" psu 2 tries to be the active unit) , flip on psu 1 (psu 2 shuts off and psu 1 takes over like it should) and i push the power button and the machine fires up.

of course i dont think this trick will work forever but ... well i dont know. other people have had to wait certain amounts of time before their machines will turn on like i do. if it just stops coming on ill attempt the bench test.

thanks
Old 01-05-2009, 03:09 PM   #13
TSF Team, Emeritus

You have to decide what you do with your rig, but I think you are "playing with fire" having two power supplies hooked up to this rig. You need one decent power supply IMHO.
Closed Thread