Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

PC won't start

This is a discussion on PC won't start within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello guys, this is my first post in this forum so please don't hesitate to point out any missing information

Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 05:03 AM   #1

Hello guys, this is my first post in this forum so please don't hesitate to point out any missing information that could help solve the issue.

Straight to the poin then. For the past several weeks, whenever I would start my computer it would often happen that the computer would boot up, the lights and fans lighting up and turning etc, but the monitor would remain off. My temporary fix was to simply reboot the computer 2 or 3 times unil the monitor would kick in and then the pc would run perfectly fine for days if I didn't turn it off.

Yesterday however, the monitor simply would not start along with the computer. I tried rebooting several times without success. A quick search on google gave me a few options such as disconnecting all USB devices, disconnecting and reconnecting all PCI cards the RAM etc. Wich I all tried to no avail.

The last option I found was to remove the battery from the motherboard so it could be reset. After doing this, the pc will simply not start anymore. I suspect either the motherboard or the PSU have died due to the many hard reboots but the indicator light on the motherboard is still on whenever I turn the PSU on so it's hard to tell with certainty.

The specs of the computer are :

PSU : Ultra XVS 600W
Motherboard : Asus P5KC
CPU : Intel Core 2 Duo E6850
RAM : Crucian Ballistix Tracer 4x1GB
Video Card : Nvidia 8800 GTX OC2 from BFG

I was running Windows 7 RC ever since it's release, and the beta before that if that may help also.

I would appreciate any ideas on how to troubleshoot and detect wich part is faulty so that I can replace it.

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2009, 06:33 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to MaverickUK

There's a chance your computer may be shorting. You could follow the advice on the link below to see if this helps at all.

https://www.techsupportforum.com/f15/...em-262998.html
Old 09-11-2009, 06:59 AM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

The Ultra is not a very good power supply and I suspect that might be an issue. While not the bottom line of power supplies, they certainly aren't any ways near a quality supply and are a cheap substitute for the likes of the Corsair, PC P & Cooling, and Seasonic units. I think the top efficiency is about 77% or something similar which is not quality.

Do you have another you could try in there or even one that you could borrow to try in there. About a year ago, I had an Antec that did this same thing and when I replaced it with a Seasonic (aha, a breath of fresh air), it hummed along and never quit again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2009, 08:36 AM   #4
Emeritus

Gotta go with team mate Tumbleweed36.

Old 09-11-2009, 10:46 AM   #5

Thank you for the replies.
I may have an old 600W power supply laying around somewhere, I'll find it and test it and see what happens. I can't see the connexion between me removing the motherboard battery and the PSU supply failing however. Unless the previous problem of the monitor not starting with the computer would be symptomatic of a PSU about to fail ?

I'll let you know when I get home to do this.
Closed Thread