Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

PC Sleep brain is totally messed up

This is a discussion on PC Sleep brain is totally messed up within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I recently set up a new in box, old stock Dell Precision T3600. It is an Intel Xeon e5-1603 quad

Closed Thread

Old 08-31-2019, 10:32 AM   #1
Registered Member

I recently set up a new in box, old stock Dell Precision T3600. It is an Intel Xeon e5-1603 quad core. The only changes I made to the hardware was to install 8 gb of additional ram, add a ssd as the boot drive, and a 1gb hard drive as storage drive. I am using the original Nvidia Quadro K600 graphics and 425W power supply which should be enough power according to power supply calculator which says my configuration is at 355W. I updated to the latest bios on Dellís site and did a clean install of Windows 10. No overclocking, no gaming, no intensive cpu applications, fast boot=off, no wireless. I am using a wired keyboard and a wireless mouse. I have tested my CPU temps and all cores consistently read from 40-43C when under no load.

First let me say I have had NO power issues of any kind while this system is in use and I use it 12 hours a day. But when itís not, thereís just so much weird stuff going on regarding its power that I hope I can intelligently explain it all. Although I have tried multiple power configurations I currently have power options set to sleep=never, hybrid sleep=off, hibernate=never, turn off hard disk=never. I have only keyboard set to wake the machine and have tried multiple keyboards.

If I manually put the PC to sleep, I hear my secondary HDD stop spinning and I can immediately wake it up using the keyboard. But if I put it to sleep and leave it a while the keyboard will not wake it up even though the power light indicates it is sleeping. When I hit the sleep button at this point it boots up from scratch which means it wasn't sleeping but was off. If I do NOT manually put it to sleep and just leave it on for any length of time and come back to it later, it has shut down on its own and the power light indicates it is off. I have checked bios settings but can find nothing indicating the bios is controlling this behavior. It's sleep brain is totally screwed up. Anyone have any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2019, 01:50 PM   #2
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

What happens if you don't allow the Keyboard to wake it up?

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 08-31-2019, 03:17 PM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasskuter View Post
I currently have power options set to sleep=never, hybrid sleep=off, hibernate=never, turn off hard disk=never.

If I do NOT manually put it to sleep and just leave it on for any length of time and come back to it later, it has shut down on its own and the power light indicates it is off.

With those settings, it should never shut off at all. It should stay live with the screen on, ready to use.

I don't follow what you mean by 'I have only keyboard set to wake the machine ... '

I gave up on Sleep and Hibernate long ago. Too many weird things were happening. I only have the screens set to dim after X time and turn off after Y time now. A jiggle of the mouse brings the screen back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2019, 07:28 PM   #4
Registered Member

If your question asking about the keyboard waking it up refers to if I have set the mouse to wake it instead, I haven't, but I will and report back. The reason I have just the keyboard wake it up instead of the mouse is my mouse is really sensitive. A door can slam, my cat can jump on the table, or other small vibrations set it off. It was constantly waking up my old machine so I just never let it wake this one.
Old 09-01-2019, 06:21 AM   #5
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

What I meant was having no device, only the power button able to wake up from sleep or hibernation.

Old 09-01-2019, 02:42 PM   #6
Registered Member

AArrrghh!!! I absolutely give up. Nothing works like it's supposed to so I'm giving up on sleep. I've never been so frustrated trying to figure out something that should be so simple. I've turned off all power saving features. At this point I'll be glad to pay the electric bill and replace components as they wear out faster than they should. I've got an older Precision workstation and its sleep functions have always worked perfectly but this one is not to be. It just irks me that I can't figure out why. Thanks for your responses, guys.
Old 09-01-2019, 02:48 PM   #7
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

My System

Just so you know you're not alone, there are others who have experienced unsolicited wake-ups, computer unexpected shut-downs and weirdest of all, refusing to stay shut-down until two restarts requiring three in all.

Old 09-02-2019, 04:59 PM   #8
Registered Member

Weirdest damn thing I have ever seen happened and there is no rhyme or reason to it. I uninstalled Realtek audio and sleep started worked exactly like it is supposed to. Prior to this power problem I had an issue when I installed Realtek that the audio manager did not show up in control panel so I couldn't set any sound options. After a lot of searching I read where an older version of Realtek driver would bring the audio manager back and it did. I had an old Xonar sound card so I decided to get rid of Realtek altogether. With it gone, so were my sleep issues. Go figure. Just thought you guys might be interested in that.
Old 09-14-2019, 02:11 AM   #9
Hardware Tech Team

My System

I know of this issue, and it's very similar to Nvidia DCH drivers and the way windows upcoming drivers will be, It would take me far too long to explain here. In short, the control panels and/or full controls of drivers will be taken away and fragmented with upcoming Windows 10 updates. Asrock actually started this all you need to do is go the support page for any recent Astrock motherboard with Realtek audio and they link you to driver downloads only, with another link (this is key) to a "Realtek Audio Control Panel" that is hosted 'only' on the Microsoft Store (APP). Same thing with the new nvidia drivers where there is a new "DCH" option that installs drivers that forces you into installing nvidia shadow play and also updating "DCH" drivers only through shadowplay. And, you get your control panel though the MS APP sore.

To get actual real fully featured Realtek drivers that also correctly install the full realtek audio panel in your active taskbar you can simply either use any other board link (MSI, Asus, Gigaqbye, or Realtek Taiwan). Nvidia DHC drivers are borked in the sense that the NV control panel doesn't work correctly and does NOT hold settings that you input manually. E.G HDMI, Ycbr44, refresh rates, color profiles. To get rid of the drivers you have to use DDU, clean install and install regular drivers.

Both of these type drivers can affect sleep modes. Unfortunately.
Closed Thread