Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

PC Shuts down suddenly without warning

This is a discussion on PC Shuts down suddenly without warning within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I've been struggling with this for months and am at my wit's end. Any help anyone could offer would be

Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 02:22 AM   #1

I've been struggling with this for months and am at my wit's end. Any help anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated!

Basically, without warning, my computer, for no apparent reason, shuts itself off. No shut down. It simply shuts off, as though the power had been disconnected. (It might be worth noting that on starting it back up again, chkdsk doesn't run.)

At first, I though it was a random occurence and likely a hardware problem; possibly the Power Supply. However, my MoBo is set to power up the computer after losing power and, after one of these unexpected power downs, the computer doesn't start back up until I hit the power button.

I've also started to notice a link to downloading. Namely, if there's multiple downloads going on, it seems to trigger the problem. It shuts down almost every night, which is when I've got utorrent scheduled to run, and I've been able to trigger the problem reliably by initiating multiple downloads of podcasts in iTunes overnight. It also seems to happen sometimes when web pages are taking too long to load.

It's probably important to note that the computer functions perfectly otherwise. I can tax the system with the latest games or a heavy set of video transcodes without incident, so I'd have a hard time believing it would be a heat problem.

If it helps at all, my components are as follows:

-Microsoft Windows XP PRO (OEM) (SP3)
-Western Digital 750G SATAII 7200 rpm HDD
-Internal Card Reader with Slim Floppy Drive Black
-Samsung 20xDVD -/+R/RW Dual Layer SATA (SH-S203D/BEBN)
-Corsair VX-450 ATX 450W Power Supply 120mm fan
-DDR2 2048MB(2x1G)PC6400 800Mhz Hyper Memory with blue heatspread Kings
-Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio Card PCI Express
-Gigabyte GF8800GTS PCI-E 512MB GDDR3 650/1940MHz Dual-Link
-Intel ATX E8200 CORE 2
-Gigabyte EP35-DS3 P35 1333Mhz FSB DDR2 1066 SATA2 Raid GLan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2009, 03:32 AM   #2
Registered Member

Are all the fans working. Could be heat problem. Especially check the heat sink fan. There may be other issues, but that could be one.

sst1226
Old 02-19-2009, 06:27 AM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

after you check heat problems, [blow out the case]

the 450 watt supply is a little light for your system, i would expect a 650watt.
corsair
pc power and cooling
themaltake tough power
silverstone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2009, 03:12 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies!

Heat was the first thing I was concerned about but I've monitored it closely and it's completely unrelated. It happens when the computer is nice and frosty. Also, if it was a heat issue, it would happen when the system was being taxed, and it doesn't.

With respect to the Power Supply, again, if that was the problem, why doesn't it occur when the system is being taxed?
Closed Thread