Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

PC shuts down on boot and restarts - No display

This is a discussion on PC shuts down on boot and restarts - No display within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. First off, if this fits better in a different thread, feel free to move it. Specs: OS: Windows 10 Motherboard:

Closed Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 08:35 PM   #1
Registered Member

First off, if this fits better in a different thread, feel free to move it.

Specs:
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 PRO (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge Quad-Core 3.3GHz
RAM: 16 GB Gskill Ripjaw (4x 4GB)
PSU: PC Power and Cooling Silencer Mk II 950W High Performance 80PLUS
GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 770 4GB

Here's what happened:

I went to wake my PC up from sleep one day, like any other day, and the system appeared to be frozen after it woke up. I restarted, then the PC booted, and after 5 seconds, it shut down. Then it rebooted itself, but there was no display on the screen.

After some basic troubleshooting (checking cables, power strip, etc) I gave up for the day. The next day, I plugged it back in and it booted up fine, and was fine for a few days. Then the same cycle of problems appeared, but since then it has never booted again.

Long story short:

- PC boots, shuts off after 5 seconds, reboots itself, but with no feed to the monitor.
- System had been stationary (not moved, jostled, or tinkered with to best of my memory) prior to the problem occurring.
- Peripherals like mouse and keyboard do not light up either, suggesting that the system is not reaching the point in which they would be detected.
- Motherboard lights are on when system is plugged in.

After some troubleshooting, it was suggested that the PSU had simply died. It is ~5.5 years old, and under 7 year warranty, so I sent it in to have it repaired. I got it back, allegedly refurbished, but after hooking everything back up, same old problem.
(*Side note: Firepower Technology took ages to finish the repair and send it back to me, I was given false information multiple times about when it would be mailed back to me, and was even given an incorrect tracking number on my package).

So now I'm looking for new solutions. What can I try? What else should I check?

Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2016, 09:38 PM   #2
Registered Member

UPDATE: I made a stupid oversight when reconnecting everything when I got the PSU back. I forgot to plug in the EPS connector! Derp.

Right now Windows 10 is not booting for me, but I will try to troubleshoot the problem real quick. If anyone has an idea about that before I post back, feel free to assist!
Old 05-27-2016, 07:49 AM   #3
Visiting Tech

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Well, I suspect they at least tested your PSU and found it was within specs. Still, if me, I would try another spare/borrowed PSU just to eliminate yours from the equation.

Then I would pull one pair of RAM and run with that for awhile and see what happens. Swap in the other pair, and run again until you determine all sticks are good, or bad.

Next, try a different graphics card.

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

───────────────────────────
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2016, 11:38 PM   #4
Registered Member

We're all good to go, like I said I just overlooked plugging in a cord, and I fixed the Windows boot issue. It just lost track of which hard drive to boot from but I fixed that in the bios. The PSU clearly was shot, because the exact same problem occurred as originally when I forgot to plug in the PSU power to the board. Consider the problem solved!
Old 05-28-2016, 06:51 AM   #5
Visiting Tech

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Great! Glad it is all sorted and thanks for posting your followup.

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

───────────────────────────
Closed Thread