Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

PC Restarts after POST [moved ffrom Vista/ Windows 7]

This is a discussion on PC Restarts after POST [moved ffrom Vista/ Windows 7] within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. This is my issue currently, i normally leave my pc on to download a few movies etc while i take

Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 09:41 AM   #1

This is my issue currently, i normally leave my pc on to download a few movies etc while i take a little nap after work.Only this time while i was sleeping, heavy rain with thunder and lighting started appearing, so i woke up the the sound of my pc restarting.I check to see whats going on and all i can see is my pc restartig right after the post screen, doesnt give me any hdd info, tried running of cd rom and floppy which again didnt do jack.I have 2g ram so i tried swapping them aroubd and leaving only one.I have 2 hdd so i tried switching those too with no avail.Now im pretty sure (And i hope not) That something has burned out due to the lighting and thunder.I had that power protector thing against stuff like that, but that apparently didnt do its job.
So i would really like to locate the problem so i can get a replacement straight away.Im thinking it could be the ram, since i dont think i cpu would cause a restart?Im also rulling out the GPU too, that seems to be working fine. I only hope its not the mb because i have issues replacing those

Here are my specs

GPU:nvidia 8800 GTS 512mb
RAM:OCZ OCZ2RPR800C44GK DDR2 4GB PC2-6400 REAPER CL4 EDITION
CPU:INTEL CORE 2 DUO E8400 3.00 GHZ LGA775 - 1333 FSB
HDD: 2 westerns at 250gb

Hope thats all you need

Thank you very much for you support :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2009, 10:23 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to linderman

make and model of power supply ?
Old 09-25-2009, 10:59 AM   #3

Oh sorry its a

Zalman 750-HP 750w

and the MB is a :GIGABYTE P35-DS4

I cant think of anything else to try at this point, it boots up just fine like every other day only now after the bios it does that click noise and restarts, going into a infinite loop.
Havent touched anything inside either its just after heavy rain its been acting up like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2009, 11:33 AM   #4
Emeritus

Try running the Windows 7 DVD and do a Repair.

Old 09-25-2009, 11:37 AM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT_Platinum View Post
Oh sorry its a

Zalman 750-HP 750w

and the MB is a :GIGABYTE P35-DS4

I cant think of anything else to try at this point, it boots up just fine like every other day only now after the bios it does that click noise and restarts, going into a infinite loop.
Havent touched anything inside either its just after heavy rain its been acting up like this.

I would start by running a hard drive diagnostic test; each hard drive manuf has those posted on their websites; make sure to run the full or extended test

post back with the results of your testing
Old 09-25-2009, 12:04 PM   #6

I cant, even if i start through cd it just restarts it just wont let me get through the windows logo i can do anything except get into the bios
Old 09-25-2009, 12:51 PM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

My System

have you tried removing the hard drive and cd-rom cable from the motherboard and then see if you can access the bios ?
Old 09-25-2009, 12:52 PM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT_Platinum View Post
I cant, even if i start through cd it just restarts it just wont let me get through the windows logo i can do anything except get into the bios

or; do you mean you "cant" do anything but enter the bios ?

if thats the case; then can you make the bootable diagnostic CD from a friends computer or the public library ?

or try removing your existing hard drive and try a replacement; if thats not your trouble, return the drive ?

maybe a local compuiter shop will allow you to borrow a used hard drive if you leave a deposit; that's what I commonly do with most all computer parts; then the customer either brings back the used part to get his deposit back or buys a new part from me

this has worked very well for me in the past, maybe you can find a similar shop although some can be rather elitist
Old 09-26-2009, 06:07 AM   #9
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Quote:
something has burned out due to the lighting and thunder.I had that power protector thing against stuff like that, but that apparently didnt do its job.
Can you borrow a power supply to try?
Old 09-27-2009, 12:55 PM   #10

Well i tried switching hardrives but that didnt seem to change anything.I also removed all my hdds and cd drives from the MB but still the same issue.
Its makes that click noise and restarts.It restarts before the hardware detection? The thing is does right before the logo appears.
Old 09-27-2009, 01:25 PM   #11
TSF Enthusiast

My System

if all hard drives and cd-rom drives are removed from the motherboard when it does that

then try with onluy stick stick of memory / if the same problem still exists; then try the other stick

if you still have the same problem with the second solo stick ........ then you definetly need to try another power supply

make sure you use the memory slot closest to the cpu for single stick memory testing

keep us posted
Old 09-27-2009, 08:20 PM   #12

Im going to try a 400w one from my friend spare ones.You think it might be the system not getting enough power?
Old 09-27-2009, 11:26 PM   #13

Back to square one.Doing exactly the same thing and nothing has changed.Really the only options i see now are the MB itself or the cpu but would those 2 components actually cause something like this? I really dont want to tinker with the MB + CPU as ive had bad experiences with those 2.

So basically up until now ive tried the following:

Changing HDD+removing HDD
Removing everything except GPU/CPU/PSU/RAM
Switching RAM/Replacing RAM
Replacing PSU
Replacing GPU
So theres only 2 options left and i really hope its not the cpu

Any thoughts on this?
Old 09-28-2009, 07:48 AM   #14
TSF Enthusiast

My System

motherboard ...........not cpu

cpu is the tuffest part in the computer
Old 09-28-2009, 12:21 PM   #15

Well then i guess i have to be searching for a new MB :/
Old 09-28-2009, 12:57 PM   #16
TSF Enthusiast

My System

RMA that one back to gigabyte for replacment
Old 09-28-2009, 01:22 PM   #17

Yea i might as well.It still has warranty i think so i should be able to get a replacement.Hopefully
Old 09-28-2009, 01:39 PM   #18
Registered Member

Have you tried clearing your CMOS/BIOS back to factory defaults with the onboard jumper? A have seen boards require a jumper BIOS reset after taking a surge in order to complete a POST again.

Just something to try before you RMA. RMA's take time and having no MoBo in your PC sucks.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:06 PM   #19

Well i took the CMOS battery out and left it overnight then put it back in the next morning but it didnt change anything
Old 09-28-2009, 02:15 PM   #20
Registered Member

That should have been sufficient, but if you can throw the BIOS jumper then you'll know you have reset the BIOS to factory defaults.

The manual should show you which jumper is the BIOS reset, just hop the jumper from the 1 & 2 pins to the 2 & 3 pins then back again. It probably won't change anything, but I suggest you try it.
Closed Thread