User Tag List

Paging File

This is a discussion on Paging File within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, I just updated my RAM to 2Gigs. From what I read online, my paging file size should be 1.

Closed Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 10:22 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi,

I just updated my RAM to 2Gigs. From what I read online, my paging file size should be 1. 5x the RAM amount. When I went to SYS INFO, it shows the following:
Total Physical Memory 2,048.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 1.31 GB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.95 GB
Page File Space 3.85 GB

Now when I go to Control Panel, Sys.Properties, Performance Opts., Virtual Mem. ,it shows Total Paging File Size as: Currently Allocated: 2046MB, Recommended: 3069MB. It is set for System Managed Size.

Should I increase the file size to what the System recommends and how will that affect the performance of my Computer? Is Page File Space and Paging File Size one and the same?

Thanks
W
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2011, 11:47 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

I see no reason to change your pagefile configuration. The only practical result in doing this would be a reduction in disk space. Performance is unlikely to change.

Page File Space (as it is used here) and Paging File Size are not the same. Page File Space is rather difficult to describe and of little importance. The only thing that is important is that the Commit Charge Peak as shown in Task Manager is always well below the Commit Limit. I think this is highly likely.

In most cases attempting to improve performance by changing pagefile configuration is wasted effort. The system is very good at managing this by itself.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:41 PM   #3
Registered Member

Hi,

If that's the case, then why would the system recommend a set amount of space?
Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2011, 02:49 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

The difference between the "Recommended" pagefile size and the default setting seems quite common. I will not attempt to explain Microsoft's reasoning.

My recommendation was based on this:
A 2 GB pagefile will provide a Commit Limit of almost 4 GB, which should be adequate for all but the heaviest workloads. In the unlikely event that this proves insufficient the system will expand the pagefile and issue a warning that it did so. If this occurs you can then manually configure a larger initial size for the pagefile.

For best performance the Commit Peak should be under 50% of the Commit Limit. This is really quite conservative. Is your Commit Peak after a days use over 2 GB?
If not then there is no reason to change pagefile settings.

My view on pagefile configuration is this:
Unless you have a specific reason to do otherwise, and you know what you are doing, then leave this configuration on default.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:24 PM   #5
Registered Member

I've attached a copy of the Task Manager Performance Page. From the looks of it, I seem to be ok.

Finally, on this subject, I was wondering about page faults. Since they seem to be tied into the amount of RAM on your system, and since I've increased my RAM to 2GB, why am I getting so many? See attached.

Thanks again,

W
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Task Manager.png
Views:	39
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	86592   Click image for larger version

Name:	Processes.png
Views:	48
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	86593  
Old 02-07-2011, 02:46 PM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

I too see nothing wrong with the Task Manager display.

Page faults are a very much misunderstood subject. To start with you must understand that there are two forms of page faults: hard and soft. Task Manager makes no distinction between them. Hard page faults require disk access to resolve, but not necessarily with the pagefile. Hard page faults are used to boot the system (in the latter stages), load applications, and access data files. In fact, almost all disk IO is initiated by hard page faults. Typically only a fraction of hard disk faults involve the pagefile.

Soft page faults are resolved entirely in memory and require no disk access at all. This is a little difficult to explain so I will not do so here. This variety will typically be the large majority of the total. The time to resolve them is very small so they will have little impact on performance. Unless the numbers are very high, many millions within a short period of time, the performance impact can be ignored. They are essentially a part of internal memory management and need not concern most computer users.

Adding RAM will reduce the number of hard page faults, thus improving performance. The number of soft page faults may actually increase. But since they are resolved so quickly the performance impact is usually insignificant.

I see nothing wrong or unusual in the Task Manager - Processes tab, display.

Memory management in Windows is extremely complex. The Microsoft publication "Windows Internals" fifth edition, devotes about 150 pages to this subject and many things are only briefly described, or not at all. Understanding it is far more complex than is immediately apparent.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:53 PM   #7
Registered Member

Location: Up the river, up the creek in PNW (E-side), no paddle

My System

Just go to area in registry shown here and carefully make changes desired:

1. Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
2. Change the data value of the ClearPageFileAtShutdown value in the following registry key to a value of 1:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management
If the value does not exist, add the following value:
Value Name: ClearPageFileAtShutdown
Value Type: REG_DWORD
Value: 1

This change does not take effect until you restart the computer.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:45 PM   #8
TSF Team, Emeritus

The setting suggested by Nizatidine is not appropriate for most users.
The setting will set every byte in the pagefile to zero's on system shutdown. It does not delete the file. This will add to shutdown time, in some cases this will be considerable.

This is a security precaution that make little sense for most people. Most systems have security issues that are far more serious than an uncleared pagefile.

This setting has NO performance implications of any kind, aside from lengthening shutdown time.

There is a great deal of misinformation on the internet concerning this setting.

Also, it is not wise to make changes in registry settings unless you understand the implications of what you are doing.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:10 AM   #9
Registered Member

My System

I did not say to make the changes, only that the path was where changes pertinent to the OP's original question was where the tweaking could be done.

Clearing pagefile is a simple security issue to be done at the end of the day about 7-10 minutes before leaving.

I used to do this kind of tweaking on W2K and XP machines as SOP to get performance I needed.

Registry (esp. in unsupported versions) is not as arcane as MS wants people to think, and is where changes sometimes have to be made.

Best wishes to all!
Old 02-10-2011, 08:58 AM   #10
Registered Member

With all due respect, I think I'll leave things just the way they are for now.
My computer is having other issues and event errors that I want to check out online first, before aking the forum.

Thanks again!
Old 02-17-2011, 01:15 PM   #11
Registered Member

My System

Funny how one little "s" changes the whole post, isn't it?

This is the type of MS BS that prompts people to dislike it and why people leave it for good,
telling those able to deal with it that they cannot understand and it is too dangerous unless
one knows all the repercussions --- FUD! And XP is no longer supported!

Reads up on the registry, wolfson. No need to fear it!
Old 02-17-2011, 01:16 PM   #12
Registered Member

My System

Funny how one little "s" changes the whole post, isn't it?

This is the type of MS BS that prompts people to dislike it and why people leave it for good,
telling those able to deal with it that they cannot understand and it is too dangerous unless
one knows all the repercussions --- FUD! And XP is no longer supported!

Reads up on the registry, wolfson. No need to fear it!
Closed Thread