Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

Only booting if one RAM stick is present in the second DIMM

This is a discussion on Only booting if one RAM stick is present in the second DIMM within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hey guys, I got myself two 4GB 2133MHz AMD Radeon Memory Gaming Series modules, and wanted to try them out.

Closed Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 10:25 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hey guys,

I got myself two 4GB 2133MHz AMD Radeon Memory Gaming Series modules, and wanted to try them out. They don't work.

I tried MemOK!, and tried both slots.
Memory works only in one slot - the second (DIMM_B).

I tried this with various memory sticks, but the result is always the same. No life on slot no. 1

Does this have to mean slot no. 1 is dead?

I have a P8H77-M LE board, and only one 24v (4-pin) connector on. My PSU doesn't have another 4-pinner. Could this be the issue?

CPU: Intel Core i3-3240 + CM Hyper 212 Plus
MBO: ASUS P8H77-M LE
PSU: Chieftec SmartSeries 550W
GPU: AMD Radeon HD6850
SSD: Samsung EVO 840 128GB
HDD: WD 1TB + Samsung 230GB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2016, 10:57 AM   #2
Registered Member

Solved it!

Took out the CPU, re-applied thermal paste, and re-seated the CPU back with the 212+ cooler.

Everything working like a charm now! :)
Old 02-16-2016, 08:33 AM   #3
Visiting Tech

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

I sure don't see how reseating the CPU fixed 1 RAM slot not working. But glad you got it sorted out and thanks for posting your followup.

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

───────────────────────────
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2016, 12:54 AM   #4
Registered Member

Doesn't make any sense to me neither, but read somewhere online that screwing the aftermarket cooler screws too tight can cause this sometimes. As far as I understood, the CPU's contact with some pins isn't good enough, and that's what causes the RAM problem.

It's been almost two days now, and everything is working like a charm now :)
Old 02-17-2016, 06:36 AM   #5
Visiting Tech

My System

I have read that before too but never in any tech journal, service manual, or repair guide so not sure I believe that either. Truth is, I have never seen where a cooler can be screwed in too tight to cause problems in such a way because of how the mounting mechanisms are configured; there are stops so even if you overtighten a screw, it will not keep putting more and more pressure on the CPU, socket or motherboard.

Now I have seen where you can have uneven pressure through misalignment or having loose screws on one side, tight on the other. But again, I don't see how that would affect just one RAM slot and not all the RAM slots AND then allow the CPU and computer to work fine otherwise.

But of course, while through my years I have dealt with 100s (1000s? - yeah, I'm that old ) of different motherboards and heatsink combinations - I cannot say I've seen them all. So I would be remiss and foolish to say there is no scenario where too tight is not possible - but as a long time computer tech, I am skeptical.

And being a bit skeptical, I tend to believe reseating the CPU works only because during the process, other things are checked, cleaned, reset, moved, reseated, pressed on, disconnected and reconnected, etc. and it is my belief something during that process caused a necessary contact to be made (or short to be removed) that brought the dead RAM slot(s) back to life. At least, that's my story and I am sticking to it!

In any case, I am very happy you were able to resolve your problem and thanks for posting your followup.

Old 02-17-2016, 11:08 PM   #6
Registered Member

Hey, don't feel old... I'm 29yrs old, and have at least two thousand computers behind me.
This is the first time re-seating the CPU fixed such a problem. I am skeptical too, and am leaning towards believing that the case actually was bad placement of the cooler. It's not a perfect fit so, it was a little bit off-center before. Might have applied different pressure on two sides of the CPU and caused something like this.

I don't really want to bang my head on a wall for this, so I just go with the "it's one of those crazy stupid things that computers do from time to time".

I really tried everything before re-seating... CMOS Reset, cleaned the DIMMs, tested all PSU-connections, even did a check-up of all disks, GPU connectors etc. The last thing I did was take out the Cooler and CPU, cleaned them, re-pasted, and put back in.
Old 02-18-2016, 06:55 AM   #7
Visiting Tech

My System

Well, I am just glad you got it going and hope it sticks.

Closed Thread