Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

not sure what issue is

This is a discussion on not sure what issue is within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Puter will only go to windows starting up screen than turns off. Ive tried safe mode last known and all

Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2016, 12:18 AM   #1
Registered Member

Puter will only go to windows starting up screen than turns off. Ive tried safe mode last known and all the other options nothing goes past windows starting screen than it shuts down any ideas. Its windows 7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2016, 01:44 AM   #2
Team Manager - Networking

make and model of the PC
is this a desktop or laptop
is is it getting very hot - can you feel the airvents at all ?

if a laptop - take out the battery - remove the power adapter and now hold the powerswitch down for 60 seconds
now just plug in the power adapter - does it start OK
if it does - shutdown and then put the battery back in and try again

Old 03-12-2016, 06:43 AM   #3
Registered Member

Its not getting hot and ive tried other hard drives its a desk top system info is version. A04. System. Studio xps 910) intel core processors 17 cpu. 930 @ 2,8 ghz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2016, 06:44 AM   #4
Registered Member

Sorry its studio xps 9100
Old 03-12-2016, 06:45 AM   #5
Registered Member

Says its a dell
Old 03-12-2016, 08:04 AM   #6
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Most sudden shut downs are either heat related or power related, IE the power supply is having issues.

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Old 03-12-2016, 10:19 AM   #7
Registered Member

Ok cause the farthest it will go is it says windows is loadings than it cuts off
Old 03-12-2016, 05:16 PM   #8
Registered Member

Ok i replaced the power supply still doing it
Old 03-13-2016, 03:17 AM   #9
Hardware Team
Games Team

My System

If its restarting prior to finishing loading of Windows there can be a few causes. If it fails to boot into safemode for now we can rule out any 3rd party driver as only MS drivers load in Safemode.
Which leaves us with either a corrupt Windows installation, failing HDD, failing RAM, failing CPU or Overheating.

The Studio XPS 9100 was released in 2010 the thermal paste would of more than likely degraded to a point its no longer transferring the heat to the heatsink as efficiently as it use to.
How-To: Properly Apply Thermal Paste and Install a CPU - Maximum PC

Whats it like inside the case? Any build up of dust in or around the CPU heatsink?

Do you have a spare PC?
If you do can you download Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool
If you have a USB pick the USB installer for easy setup. When you insert it into the Dell at boot press F12 for a Boot menu and select the USB stick. The Memory test will begin in a few seconds. Its recommended to run the test for 7 full passes to ensure you have no faulty RAM. Depending on your RAM and CPU speed the test may take +2hrs.
Old 03-13-2016, 01:16 PM   #10
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

When you say you tried other hard drives did you install Windows in this machine before trying? You should realize it won't boot up to other hardware systems on whatever drive you tried and this sounds like text book dead hard drive to me.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Closed Thread