Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

Noob RAM Questions

This is a discussion on Noob RAM Questions within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I tried posting earlier, but it didn't work, so if this post appears twice, sorry about that. Basically, I'm a

Closed Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 08:41 PM   #1

I tried posting earlier, but it didn't work, so if this post appears twice, sorry about that. Basically, I'm a noob with computers. I just got a Dell Inspiron 1501 with Windows Vista Basic Home Edition.

1. I read that to run Vista, 1GB of RAM is recommended. My computer is very slow when simply opening things like Control Panel and performing other basic tasks. I would like to upgrade my RAM to about 2GB or more. So... How do I find out what type of RAM I need and where is the best place to purchase it (preferably not online, but I can if recommended)?... Can a noob like me install it myself and if so, where can I find a How-To-Guide?... If I can't, where should I take my computer? About what can I expect to spend on an additional 2GB of RAM and what do you recommend I go with?

I would like to just get a full 2GB more RAM installed. I really don't know much so I apologize if I have a lot of questions, and also for asking for a bit of a walkthrough with the information provided and simplified terms. Also, I realize that some of these questions can't be answered until I give other information, so I will try and provide what you need as asked.

Sorry to make this so long, and thanks a lot for any help given.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2007, 05:01 AM   #2

Hi Jiller,

Firstly the recomended ammount of ram to run for Windows Vista is 256MB of RAM. If its slow with you 1GB there could be something wrong with your system. So i recommend Running and posting a HighJack This Log, Its on the TFS Site just click here for that.

I can still let you know about adding more RAM/Memory. To find out what type of RAM you have you can either Go on your computers makers website e.g. HP, Compaq, E Machines and others, or go to this website HERE and run the test.

That will tell you what type of RAM you have got and you know what kind you need. If its new it will be DDR II and so i would get a 1GB DDR II PC-4200 RAM.

I hope this helps

Any problems Just ask.

Jay
Old 05-26-2007, 09:13 AM   #3

I would recommend at least 2gb for Vista, so you are on the right track. You will have to get a 2GB kit (2x1GB), as your machine has 2 slots, with a max of 1GB per slot. So, you will have to remove the 512MB that came with the machine in order to get 2GB. Your other option would be to keep the 512 and add another 1GB, giving you 1.5GB total.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2007, 03:13 PM   #4

Hi, and welcome to TSF!

2 GB of RAM will be good for Vista for everyday tasks. You might want more if you plan on doing some gaming.

I will keep it short - your laptop will take this RAM:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820145157
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820220221
Old 05-26-2007, 06:46 PM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Matt you don't need more then 2 gb 0.0 but it can slow down with 1gb, what are the other specs of your computer IE cpu, harddrive, ect....
Old 05-26-2007, 06:53 PM   #6

I think I will stick with going for 2GB of RAM. Just a few more questions...

Am I better off going with the CORSAIR ValueSelect 2GB (2 x 1GB) 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Dual Channel Kit Notebook Memory (on the newegg.com site) or spending a little extra on something "Namebrand." I don't care for namebrand so much, just curious if this will do the job for me.

Also, would I be able to install it myself?
.....If so, where could I find a guide to do it?
.....If not, where could I take it?... A Radioshack maybe?

Thanks for the help so far, as well as the welcoming!
Old 05-26-2007, 07:00 PM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Go with the non namebrand if it has good online reviews, yes you can do it yourself and it is recommended you do as stores charge way to much to install it for you.
Old 05-26-2007, 07:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 g0t 0wn3d View Post
Matt you don't need more then 2 gb 0.0 but it can slow down with 1gb, what are the other specs of your computer IE cpu, harddrive, ect....

Sorry... I'm not the brightest... I don't quite know where to find that information. I know how to find it on my Dell desktop (which is quite old), but not on my Inspiron.
Old 05-26-2007, 07:03 PM   #9
Roaming To Help

CORSAIR ValueSelect 2GB is fine, no need to spend more - the pair will work together which is perfect for performance.

Here is how to install RAM: https://www.helpwithpcs.com/upgrading...top-memory.htm
Old 05-26-2007, 07:04 PM   #10

Nevermind.... question was answered as I typed this post... Thanks.
Old 05-26-2007, 07:38 PM   #11

Thanks for all of the help. I have ordered the RAM from Newegg.com, and should receive it within a few days. I will post back in this thread in a few days if I need anymore help with it. However, as of right now, thanks a lot for all of the help... and wish me luck trying to understand this installation guide!
Old 05-26-2007, 08:54 PM   #12
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Good luck, and don't worry it is very easy.
Old 05-26-2007, 08:55 PM   #13
TSF Enthusiast

My System

BTW kalim what happend to your killer computer?
Old 05-27-2007, 05:34 AM   #14
Roaming To Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 g0t 0wn3d View Post
BTW kalim what happend to your killer computer?
The Duron?
Old 05-27-2007, 06:46 AM   #15

Jiller, justs so you know and didn't catch it in my previous post, 2GB of RAM is the max the 1501 can handle. So you'll be maxed out with your new 2GB. Good luck.
Old 05-27-2007, 07:21 AM   #16

Well... glad I ordered 2GB then... lol, thanks for that little piece of info... I couldn't find out how much it could hold, so that helps a lot if I need to buy again in the future.

I decided to see just how easy it was to remove/install the RAM, both for practice and just to see if it really was easy, even for a newer person like me. You guys were absolutely right... the guide mentioned by Kalim was a little difficult to understand when I first looked at it, but once I opened up my computer, it all made sense (So thanks for that link Kalim!). It took me about 5 minutes from the time I found the proper screwdriver to the time I put it back... quicker and easier than Paris Hilton after serving her jailtime.

Anyways, I just wanted to post to let you guys know that I successfully took out and put back in my old RAM and that it was very easy as you said. Now I just can't wait to get my new ones.... I'll be back to post to let you know if I had any trouble when I get my new RAM.

Thanks Again!

(BTW: Sorry I make such long posts... I tend to take the scenic route to explain/ask something! )
Old 05-27-2007, 07:33 AM   #17
Roaming To Help

Well Jiller, you're already on your way, well done!
Old 05-27-2007, 08:15 AM   #18
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalim View Post
The Duron?
IDk the quad core, 8800 sli beast.
Old 05-27-2007, 06:03 PM   #19
Registered Member

My System

Send a message via AIM to redsunx Send a message via MSN to redsunx Send a message via Skype™ to redsunx

hehe ok this will sum it up

to find out what type: boot check bios, ram type should be there
why 2gb: if you plan on gaming thats all i can say
and last dont use vista if you do plan on gaming vista sucks
Old 05-28-2007, 10:11 AM   #20

Not planning on doing too much gaming... I have a 360, Wii, PSP, and DS... yeah I'm a console gaming freak... so I'm not too worried about being able to game on my computer. I do, however, have Halo: Combat Evolved and I installed it on my Inspiron to see how it would work... and it has worked great. Anyways... hopefully I'll have my new RAM in soon... thanks, and I'll keep you all updated.
Closed Thread