User Tag List

Non-starter!

This is a discussion on Non-starter! within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi All this is my first posting so please be kind if it's in the wrong place. I have a

Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 11:23 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi All this is my first posting so please be kind if it's in the wrong place.

I have a 6 or 7 year old approx' Fujitsu Siemens desktop which is used for basic email and web browsing, kids homework, along with keeping ipods updated etc.

The system was shut down fully one evening as normal and when it was attempted to start it again the next day it did not boot up.
The power was there but when you pressed the start button the fan kicked in and then cut out repeatedly and continued to do so if you held in the power button.
I had a look under the cover and tried removing and reconnecting some of the power cables to various components and also replaced the battery on the mother board trying to find a solution but obviously no joy.

My first thought is that it is a power supply problem somewhere but it seems it is beyond my very basic knowledge.

Is there anyone out there who could point me in the right direction please.

System details:
Fujitsu Siemens Scaleo 600 PC
Running Windows XP
Gigabyte GA-8ISXT-FS REV:1.0 motherboard with Pentium 3 processor

Old and slow I know but it did do a job until a couple of days ago.

Cheers

34thvoyager
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2012, 12:51 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

It does sound like your PSU is failing, although it could possibly be your CPU has overheated due to being that age there is probably no thermal paste left under the heat sink - you could check.
I don't know how your financial state is but it's probably not worth spending money on a low quality PSU which could just as easily fail.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:05 PM   #3
Emeritus

Look at the label on the PSU for a Brand & Model Number.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2012, 01:36 PM   #4
Registered Member

Tyree, thanks for the reply

PSU is FOURTRON/SOURCE Model No: ATX-300GTF(1)

Cheers
Old 01-16-2012, 01:39 PM   #5
Registered Member

efx8

How do I check the thermal paste under the heat sink.

Sorry for being so thick but as I posted originally my knowledge is very limited.

Cheers
Old 01-16-2012, 02:32 PM   #6
Emeritus

If you disturb the heatsink to CPU seal you will need to clean the old paste and apply new.
Any PSU 6 or 7 yrs. old is a good candidate for replacement regardless.

Closed Thread