Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

non-ECC RDRAM for Dell Dimesion 8250

This is a discussion on non-ECC RDRAM for Dell Dimesion 8250 within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello All Please find enclosed a picture of the memory I bought from MemorySuppliers.com: a SAMSUNG 1024MB (1 GIG) 1066MHZ

Closed Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 10:54 PM   #1

Hello All

Please find enclosed a picture of the memory I bought from MemorySuppliers.com: a SAMSUNG 1024MB (1 GIG) 1066MHZ NON-ECC 184PIN RAMBUS KIT (TWO 512MB NON-ECC MODULES) to upgrade my Dell Dimension 8250 Pentium 4 2.80 GHz with 512 MB NON ECC RDRAM (2 x 256) 1066 MHz.

I thought it would be a simple matter of adding the new modules, sit back and enjoy the show faster than before.

Unfortunately, it didn't turn out that way. Please find enclosed the errors I got.

I sent back the first kit and immediately got a replacement kit (different brand), which turned out even worse than the first kit.

I don't understand why wherever I put the memory modules the original ones are recognized in the BIOS as NON-ECC and the new ones (both the kit they sent the first time and the replacement kit) as ECC (even though they are supposed to be NON-ECC).

Does anybody have any advice on this matter?

Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards
Little Sister
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PB140433_small.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	625.4 KB
ID:	38375  
Attached Files
File Type: txt ErrorMemory12Nov08.txt (4.9 KB, 26 views)
File Type: doc MemInstlld26Nov08.doc (28.5 KB, 12 views)
File Type: doc MemInstlld28Nov08.doc (28.0 KB, 15 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2008, 03:58 AM   #2
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

If you search the part number(MR18R162GDFO-CT9) on the ram it comes back as EEC memory not non eec as the sticker implies> https://www.starmicro.net/detail.aspx?ID=794 , https://yourworldlist.com/pc106.html,

I think your getting the wrong ram from your supplier.
Old 12-07-2008, 12:05 AM   #3

Many thanks for your help. I thought I was getting the wrong ram from my supplier but wasn't sure.

1) So the way to find out is to do a search for the part number in Google for example?

2) If the supplier had sent the product exactly as ordered: SAMSUNG 1024MB (1 GIG) 1066MHZ NON-ECC 184PIN RAMBUS KIT (TWO 512MB NON-ECC MODULES), would it have been as simple as just adding the memory and starting up the computer which would then be a lot faster than before?
The computer is a Dell Dimension 8250 Pentium 4 2.80 GHz with 512 MB NON ECC RDRAM (2 x 256) 1066 MHz. Please find enclosed the memory specifications.

Could you give me your advice on the above 2 points?

Many thanks in advance.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DellDim8250manualMemrySpecs.pdf (58.6 KB, 48 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2008, 02:02 AM   #4
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Microsoft MVP

I don't know about a lot faster it will only speed it up if you are currently using all the ram you have available and it doesn't have to read/write to the hard drive as often,
If your running 512 now you will see some difference.
You can find out how much the pc currently uses by looking on the task manager performance tab in the physical memory section at the bottom.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:18 PM   #5

Many thanks for your help. Just to confirm that I understand things correctly, could you reply to the following 3 questions please?

1) The way to find out if a memory module is ECC or NON-ECC is to do a search for the part number in Google for example?

2) If the supplier had sent the product exactly as ordered: SAMSUNG 1024MB (1 GIG) 1066MHZ NON-ECC 184PIN RAMBUS KIT (TWO 512MB NON-ECC MODULES), would it have been as simple as just adding the memory and starting up the computer which would then automatically recognize the new memory without any hassle?
The computer is a Dell Dimension 8250 Pentium 4 2.80 GHz with 512 MB NON ECC RDRAM (2 x 256) 1066 MHz. Please find enclosed the memory specifications in my previous message in this thread.

3) Do you have any recommendations of where I could buy this kind of memory (just in case I don't get anywhere with my current supplier)?

Grateful for your advice.

Kind regards
Little Sister
Old 12-08-2008, 11:20 AM   #6
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Microsoft MVP

The memory manufactures site is the best place to find the correct part number ram I ran through the ones I use but none of them have any Rambus listings anymore.
If the Ram is the correct type and matches the ram in the pc it should be just that simple
CDW has EEC Rdram listed only and for the price of the memory it may be time to consider replacing the PC. > https://www.cdw.com/webcontent/config...-_-Edge+Finder
Old 12-08-2008, 03:23 PM   #7

Okay, many thanks for your help.

Kind regards
Little Sister
Closed Thread