Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

no post/beeps, power supply runs

This is a discussion on no post/beeps, power supply runs within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. So I am trying to figure out which component is the problem. When i turn on the computer, everything runs

Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 05:55 AM   #1
Registered Member

So I am trying to figure out which component is the problem.

When i turn on the computer, everything runs - fans, gpu fan, cpu fan, lights, hard drive spins, etc. BUT there are no beeps, no post, and just a black screen.

So far what i have done:

Tested power supply (using the paper clip method, aka not attached to mobo) - fans run, hard drive spins again

Removed ram, started computer, got beeps from missing ram. Reinstalled ram and the computer started, got a login screen and logged in, then all of a sudden got a blue screen of death. <-- have repeated this method and have not succeeded

Reinstalled graphics card, which seems to be fine since the screen has shown for the method above

----------

I do not have another computer to test the parts individually and the computer currently just turns on with no beeps or post with everything spinning (fans, hard drive etc.)

this is not a new build, and when it was working it made some beeps and then shutdown

Please help!

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2012, 05:57 AM   #2
Emeritus

Testing a PSU with the paperclip only tells you it is capable of running but not if it has sufficient power to boot the PC.

PC Specs?
Pre- Built Brand & Model Number
Custom Built- Brand & Model of Mobo-CPU-RAM-Graphics-PSU.

Old 08-02-2012, 06:01 AM   #3
Registered Member

Intel Core 2 Quad Processor 2.33 GHz
some old mobo (from a dell computer)
6GB DDR2 RAM
EVGA 512MB 9600GT
OCZ 600W ModXStream Powersupply (installed this 6 months ago, ran perfectly)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2012, 06:03 AM   #4
Emeritus

Remove all RAM, boot. listed for any beep codes from the Mobo. NoRAM and no beeps indicates a Mobo problem.
You can also do a bench test.

Remove EVERYTHING from the case.
Set the motherboard on a non conductive surface. The motherboard box is perfect for this. DO NOT PLACE THE MOTHERBOARD ON THE STATIC BAG! It can actually conduct electricity!
Install the CPU and heat sink.
Install 1 stick of RAM.
Install the video card and attach the power supply connection(s) to the card if your card needs it.
Connect the monitor to the video card.
Connect the power supply to the motherboard with both the 24pin main ATX Power connection and the separate 4 pin (Dual Core CPU) or 8 pin (Quad Core CPU) power connection.
Connect power to the power supply.
Do NOT connect ANYTHING else. Make sure you have the power connector on the CPU fan connected.
Use a small screwdriver to momentarily short the power switch connector on the motherboard. Consult your motherboard manual to find which two pins connect to your case's power switch. Then touch both pins with a screwdriver to complete the circuit and boot the system.

If all is well, it should power up and you should get a display. Then assemble the parts into the case and try again. If the system now fails to boot, you have a short in the case and need to recheck your motherboard standoffs.

If the system does not boot after this process, then you most likely have a faulty component. You'll need to swap parts, start with the power supply, until you determine what is defective.

Old 08-02-2012, 06:12 AM   #5
Registered Member

The computer does beep when i remove the ram, but when i reinstall it, the same problem occurs, no beeps/post.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:15 AM   #6
Emeritus

Brand,specs of the RAM and how many sticks? Have you tried booting with one stick?

Old 08-02-2012, 06:17 AM   #7
Registered Member

Its just generic ram from an old dell computer (bought as a desktop pre-assembled), 4 sticks.

I have tried to boot with 1 stick and same result (no posts/beeps).

Occasionally the PSU (at startup) will run for 3 seconds, shutdown and restart automatically a second later and continue to run the fans, etc.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:56 AM   #8
Emeritus

I would suggest a bench test precisely as described above.

Old 08-02-2012, 01:44 PM   #9
Registered Member

So I get the same result with 1 memory module and cpu - no post/beeps just the cpu fan running at an extremely high speed (louder than when the computer ran normal)

what does that mean?
Old 08-02-2012, 01:54 PM   #10
Registered Member

also when i remove the ram module and start it up - i no longer hear beeps
Old 08-02-2012, 07:24 PM   #11
Emeritus

Have you done a bench test?

Closed Thread