Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

New Power Supply

This is a discussion on New Power Supply within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi Everybody, Just had to replace the power supply in my computer as the old one appeared to have developed

Closed Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 02:30 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi Everybody,
Just had to replace the power supply in my computer as the old one appeared to have developed a dead short (it was blowing all the house fuses). New ps is a Tacens Valeo II 600. When I attempt to start the computer the ps immediately shuts down. If, however, I disconnect the power cable to the hard disk, and switch of the computer at the mains for a moment (I assume this allows the ps to reset) then when I restart the computer it runs through the bios until of course it gets to the point when it cannot detect a boot drive. It does detect the dvd drive.
I've tried two different hard discs and several different cables and the result is always as above.
If I don't get this sorted out soon I going to throw the whole lot into the pool.
Seriously, does this sound like the new ps is at fault or could it be something else ?
Thanks in anticipation
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2008, 04:58 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

welcome

thats a low end psu you installed

https://www.techsupportforum.com/hard...selection.html

Seasonic – Any Model
Corsair – Any Model
PC Power & Cooling – Any Model
Thermaltake – “Toughpower” Series Only
Coolermaster – “Real Power Pro” Series Only
Old 12-10-2008, 05:11 AM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to linderman

sounds to me like your old power supply gave your motherboard a phazer blast on its way out the door
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2008, 05:12 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

My System

you could get away with running your hard drives off a controller card ........ but that doesnt mean you wont run into problem #2 once you get past the hard drive start -up
Old 12-10-2008, 06:13 AM   #5
Registered Member

Unfortunately I didn't pay a low end price for it, cost me the equivalent of about $125 here but it was available and I need to get the computer up and running again.
Seems like it's a motherboard problem (hard disk controller ?) then and not the ps
Thanks for the input
Old 12-12-2008, 10:52 AM   #6
Registered Member

Just changed the motherboard, problem is still the same, must be the new power supply.
Expensive way to learn..... at this rate I'll have enough spare parts to build a new computer, or fill the pool up !
Old 12-12-2008, 04:31 PM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

My System

return the motherboard and pay the 10% restocking fee

computer troubleshooting is nothing but a game of parts swapping ............... the more expereinced computer "techs" will find the culprit faster ....... but its still a game of parts swapping
Old 12-12-2008, 04:32 PM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

My System

also sounds like a motherboard short

try this first

https://www.techsupportforum.com/f255...em-171424.html
Old 12-13-2008, 08:52 AM   #9
Registered Member

Hi Linderman, just went through your bench test system, I like it, it makes component swapping much easier and connecting the various components up in sequence establishes where the fault lies so much quicker. Unfortunately even with the motherboard sitting on top of its box, as you did, I only get it to boot up the Bios with the power supply to the hard drive disconnected. If I connect it up and press the start button it spins the fan on the cpu about 1 rev and then shuts down. Currently trying to find a power supply I can borrow to seen if that makes a difference
Old 12-13-2008, 09:31 AM   #10
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

Or there is a short in the hard drive since it seems to work with everything else plugged in.
Old 12-13-2008, 10:42 AM   #11
TSF Enthusiast

My System

try other hard drives or try just conencting a CD-rom drive ....... see if you can boot into the CD rom drive with a windows CD ....... of course once it starts the windows CD up ...... its going to tell you it cant find a hard disk .......... but thats ok ....... at least you will know your motherboard is feeling ok
Old 12-13-2008, 01:26 PM   #12
Registered Member

Some progress, the first 2 hard drives shut the system down as I described above. Tried a third, it booted up, the Bios recognised it and proceeded to load windows (XP).It ran for a short time, 1 min... I then heard the video fan shut down followed by the whole system shutting down and attempting to reboot. When it did so, however, it did not recognise the hard disk and was very slow. By switching off the supply to power pack I can repeat this sequence on demand.
I'm a mechanical engineer not electrical/electronics but my theory is that power supply to the hard disk/Video card is inadequate/unstable, the third hard disk requires slightly less than the previous 2 but once it starts to do some real work, as it loads windows, it shuts down, the first symptom being a loss of power to the video card.
I'm just about to tear my teenage son's computer down to get at his power pack but experiencing some resistance there......
Really appreciate the time and effort you are putting into helping me
Old 12-13-2008, 01:36 PM   #13
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

Do you have a digital volt meter?> https://www.techsupportforum.com/f210...er-151526.html
You would want to check the 12v (yellow) and the 5v(red) on a 4 pin drive connector to start while it's running.
You did state that you had tried another PSU was it just as powerful as the 750tx?
Old 12-13-2008, 01:47 PM   #14
TSF Enthusiast

My System

you have discovered the most unscrupulous component in the computer business ....... the power supply .............. not only can you not merely evaluate by Watts but you cant even evaluate by cost !!

its a real bummer when the average builder has to go thru such a nightmare !! thats why we "reinforce" certain models so frequently that we KNOW work well.

goodluck ............
Old 12-15-2008, 05:00 AM   #15
Registered Member

The shop where I purchased the Tacens power supply has agreed to take it back and credit me against a Corsair 750 TX. Probably about 200 watts more than I need but there's plenty of room in the case and allows for upgrades in the future.
Should get it in 2/3 days, I'll update all on progress then.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:06 AM   #16
TSF Enthusiast

My System

now you are on the right road ............... at least that PSU will take your forward into future upgrades
Old 12-18-2008, 08:42 AM   #17
Registered Member

I'm stumped, installed the new power supply (Corsair 750 TX) failure mode remains identical, put the old mother board back in - same failure mode. Put the hard disc that would start and then shut down in another computer - same failure mode there... Points to the hard disc. But 3 hard discs failing at the same time and only one was in the computer when the original power supply blew....some coincidence. Going to get a new hard drive tomorrow unless anybody's got any other suggestions
Old 12-18-2008, 10:32 AM   #18

Wow...maybe some static fried everything? Pretty unlikely but just a guess.

Valdeam
Old 12-18-2008, 10:34 AM   #19
TSF Enthusiast

My System

there are no limits to the strange problems you can run into with a problematic computer ....... its only a game of swappping parts and try this try that ........ keep us posted once you have the new drive installed ......... at least now we can rule out any power supply culprit ............ which reduces the "maybes" alot and puts us more on a focus point !
Old 12-18-2008, 10:37 AM   #20
TSF Enthusiast

My System

does the corsair shutdown too ??????????? are you sure your house current is ok ?
Closed Thread