Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

New PC Build - RAM Problem

This is a discussion on New PC Build - RAM Problem within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. System specs firstly: HyperX DDR4 8GB 2666Mhz RAM AMD Ryzen 5 1400 3.2 ghz CPU ASRock x370 Killer SLI Motherboard

Closed Thread

Old 08-28-2018, 03:03 PM   #1
Registered Member

System specs firstly:

HyperX DDR4 8GB 2666Mhz RAM
AMD Ryzen 5 1400 3.2 ghz CPU
ASRock x370 Killer SLI Motherboard
Corsair Tx-650M PSU
(Storage irrelevant to question)

So this is my first PC build but I'd like to think of myself quite knowledgeable with computers. All built together okay go to turn on the computer and it boot loops, insert the motherboard speaker and it is emitting 3 beeps which I look on the ASRock website and that's UEFI Bios code for RAM problem

Originally I looked on my motherboard's compatiblity list for Ram as I originally bought some Timetec RAM, that wasn't on the list so I thought if I buy the HyperX stuff as stated above then all will be rosey. But however I go to turn it on today with the new memory installed and still the same three beeps and in a boot loop. But I thought that RAM compatibility doesn't matter too much so was perplexed at that myself. I can definitely say I haven't received dead RAM sticks as both the HyperX and Timetec stuff didn't work.

I've tried all four slots individually with each card, literally every combination possible, but to no avail and the same three beeps. I know Ryzen CPUs like slots 2 and 4 but no combination is working.

I'm lost as to what it could be. Have I possibly damaged the slots themselves that the RAM sits in? But I would have thought that would be difficult to do.

I can provide further details and pictures if needed.

Thanks guys I spent a fair bit of money on this and don't want to see it go to waste!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2018, 08:04 AM   #2
Visiting Tech

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Quote:
But I thought that RAM compatibility doesn't matter too much so was perplexed at that myself.
It does matter but is still pretty flexible. There are too many RAM makers and models for motherboard makers to test and list them all so you don't have to buy listed RAM to ensure compatibility. But you should buy RAM with the same specs as listed RAM if you want to ensure compatibility.
Quote:
I know Ryzen CPUs like slots 2 and 4 but no combination is working.
No. This is not a CPU function, but a motherboard function.

Slots can be physically damaged if the wrong RAM (DDR3 instead of DDR4) is "forced" in, or you attempt to "force" the RAM in backwards. But that does take some brute force.

Did you observe proper ESD precautions before touching the RAM? That is, did you unplug the computer from the wall AND touch bare metal of the case interior to discharge any static in your body BEFORE reaching in or handling the RAM? And did you only handle the RAM by the edges avoiding contact with the electrical contacts?

You did not say how your 8GB is configured (1 x 8GB or 2 x 4GB). If just one stick, according to your manual, it should be in slot A2. If two sticks, slots A2 and B2. See the image on page 7 of manual.

Did you triple check to ensure all power connections to the motherboard are there and tight? Your board appears to take the standard 24-pin and 1 x 8-pin 12V power connectors. Make sure both are connected.

Finally a common new builder (and distracted pro) mistake is to insert more motherboard standoffs in the case than the motherboard has mounting holes. Cases are designed to support 1000s of different motherboards. So there are almost always more standoff mounting holes than motherboard mounting holes. An extra standoff can short out the board.

If me, I would try another PSU just to make sure yours is working properly. If all checks out fine, then you may need to RMA the motherboard.

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

───────────────────────────
Closed Thread