Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

new corsair psu doesn't seem to have what i need

This is a discussion on new corsair psu doesn't seem to have what i need within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. i recently purchased a new corsair tx750w power supply and when i had trouble with my hewlett packard, the motherboard

Closed Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 01:29 PM   #1
Registered Member

i recently purchased a new corsair tx750w power supply and when i had trouble with my hewlett packard, the motherboard is MS-6577 VER:4.1 (probably intel), i decided to switch the power supply to eliminate it as being the possible cause of the problem. it was a booting problem that has been solved, but the corsair psu couldn't go in because one of the connectors was absent. i eventually had to had to use a different psu, that was possibly as bad as the first one might have been. the connectors on the old psu are labeled and according to this info, the connector is a P7. it has 4 wires, two black and two yellow, not in a line like a molex connector that goes to an ide hard drive, the two black wires are next to each other at the top, and the two yellow wires that go next to eachother are at the bottom. there is also a snap tab on the terminal that keeps the connector secure.

1. do i need to connect this terminal, what's it for?
2. if so, is there an adapter i need to get?
3. are all new psu's the same, do any have this connector?

i no doubt, need to know more about psu's and motherboards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2009, 01:49 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

OS: Windows 10 Pro x64, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 Update 1, Windows 7 SP1 x64 & x86

My System

Hi,
Yes you do need that connector. It supplies the CPU 12 volts. The Corsair has an 8pin/4pin connector that should come apart to give you the 4pins you need.
Old 09-27-2009, 01:56 PM   #3
Troubled

My System

Yes, the Corsair has that, it comes as an eight pin connector that breaks apart into two four pin connectors, and one of those goes into the motherboard where the "P7" connector would.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2009, 02:46 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

My System

And to add to that, Corsair has the connector labeled cpu1 and cpu2.
Old 09-27-2009, 05:23 PM   #5
Registered Member

well, at least there is some good news to go with the bad news. indeed, there is a 4-pin connector (but the colors aren't the same as the psu that was removed) and it probably works (i am using the computer now, but i will check it after shutdown), but there is a sheathing with a rubberized type of band that is hampering me from plugging both in. the wires aren't long enough between the rubberized band and the terminal to reach the sockets that they plug into. i guess i will have to slice it (the rubberized band), because it's glued in place. i don't mind doing this, as long as it doesn't void the warranty. i bought this psu strictly for troubleshooting purposes. none of my computers needed a psu at the time of purchase.
the last time i attempted to switch this psu for testing a 3-wire terminal was needed and not available. i should have posted here for help that time as well.
thanks for the replies.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:14 AM   #6
Emeritus

I doubt that slicing the rubber retainer will void the warranty.

Old 09-28-2009, 07:00 AM   #7
Registered Member

thank you Tyree and the rest of the guys here at TSF.
Closed Thread