Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

New build but tempted to keep my old psu

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  dezerin 
#1 ·
HI,

Im thinking about putting these items together to build my latest gaming machine and was wondering if I could get away with my 3 year old enermax 600w noisetaker psu for a while, or if I should pay out for a better one straight away. Im a little unsure so any help would be appreciated.

Phenom 2 x4 955
Asus crosshair 3 formula amd 790fx motherboard
4gb corsair ddr3 1333
titan fenrir cpu cooler
antec 902
vx2260wm monitor

I was going to transfer over the items below from my old pc to save on costs untill my bank account recovers a little.
2 hard disk drives (ones quite new and happy with that)
2 dvd r/w drives
floppy drive (comes in handy on increasingly rare occasions)
hd4850
and about 3 usb connections.

If you think ive chosen bad components by the way, don't hold back, any help would be good :smile:

I will most likely be upgrading my psu next year at some point anyway, as I make the decision to buy another hd4850 or a brand new set of cards to go crossfire with, im just wondering if my old psu will take the strain till then.

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm not an amd sort, but here's a review from HWC on that board.
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...shair-iii-formula-am3-motherboard-review.html

I don't know that I'd want to run a 4850 on that psu, or any 600 watt psu. You've got two 12 volt rails with a max of 18 amps on each. In the neighbourhood of 30 amps, that's more in line with a 4 or 500 watt supply, and you don't just add the rails. It should barely run it, but how well and for how long is anyone's guess, you would be much better off upgrading the power supply right off the bat. I just wouldn't run that card on that psu.

#4 ·
thank you for the replies, i was a little unsure about keeping it, if I upgrade I would most likely go for a 750w minimum or more likely an 850w so I can upgrade other parts of my computer in the future without having to upgrade my psu again. I was thinking of something like this. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139011

any better choices out there for a decent price?

#5 ·
You can usually pick up the 850TX for a lot less than the HX series. The biggest difference is that the hx is modular and the tx isn't.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139009

Modular is nice for less clutter around the case, but for that convenience you pay more. Depends on your case, some have more room than others, and/or places to stash unused cables. You should see the area behind the motherboard tray in my 1200, a real snakefest of cables.

#6 ·
ive been looking at the TX version as well since my above post, and from some of the reviews ive read it seems to be able to handle 2 hd4870's and as im getting a antec 902 i should have enough room to do as you have, and go behind the motherboard or get some cable ties to keep it all out of the way. Thanks for all you help, it's helped me make the decision I was unsure of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.