Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

Need help with RAM

This is a discussion on Need help with RAM within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, I am looking to purchase more RAM but I need some help concerning compatability issues that may occur. I

Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 10:42 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi, I am looking to purchase more RAM but I need some help concerning compatability issues that may occur.
I will post my system specs below so that once you have read my problem you can go back and see them.

Operating System:
Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) 32 bit

System Manufacturer: Compaq Presario 061

System Model: EP150AA-ABU (SR1729UK) GB610

Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.80GHz (2 CPUs)

Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS 512.0 MB

Memory: (This is the part I need help with) 1022 MB RAM
DDR2 PC2-4200U 512MB x2 sticks
I have 4 slots altogether

I did a scan online for my computer SR1729UK and it told me this:
Each slot can hold up to 1GB.

I also did some research, I was told from several sources that my Operating System, being 32 bit, can only make use of up to 3GB ram so having 4 would be useless.

The online scan also showed that recommended RAM for my PC would be DDR2 PC2-5300.

I have searched online and also visited my local PC World and found these sticks without any trouble so I am ready to buy them.

I want to have 3GB of RAM as having 4 is useless as my OS would not use 4 so would it be possible to keep 2 slots occupied by my current 512MB DDR2 PC2-4200U sticks and the two other slots occupied by DDR2 PC2-5300 1GB sticks.

Would this be compatible, bearing in mind that the brand who manufactures the 5300's is different from the brand who manufactured the 4200U's current sticks.

Or, would it be better to just buy 3 DDR2 PC2-5300 1GB sticks and have all of the sticks the exact same, would there be any less power, any trouble or effects if did the first option.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2012, 02:04 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

It is always suggested that you use same size, latency, voltage, manufacturer, and speed for RAM sticks. It is not required but having different RAM sticks can cause problems or might not work well together especially if the latency and voltage are different and might become unstable. It is suggested that you get 3 or 4 of the 1 GB RAM sticks. Windows XP can support up to 4 GB of RAM. The only problem I would see with using all 4 slots would be if your motherboard can supply stable voltage to all 4 RAM slots and if you have a reliable PSU.
Old 01-02-2012, 03:17 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by montiaro View Post
It is always suggested that you use same size, latency, voltage, manufacturer, and speed for RAM sticks. It is not required but having different RAM sticks can cause problems or might not work well together especially if the latency and voltage are different and might become unstable. It is suggested that you get 3 or 4 of the 1 GB RAM sticks. Windows XP can support up to 4 GB of RAM. The only problem I would see with using all 4 slots would be if your motherboard can supply stable voltage to all 4 RAM slots and if you have a reliable PSU.
Yeah, I tried out a random spare 5300 1GB stick my dad had just to see if it would work and it showed up as 2GB ram but I have taken it out just to not cause any issues and I will continue to use my matching sticks and wait out with 1GB ram (which I have already done for a few years) until my new RAM comes in the mail.
I am buying 3 sticks of DDR2 PC2-5300 1GB so I will have 3GB.

Anyway, thanks for the advice dude.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2012, 06:29 AM   #4
Emeritus

The best option would be to purchase a matching pair of 2x2GB. Attempting to mix RAM brands/specs (using your old RAM with the new) commonly causes problems.
Crucial brand is the best choice for OEM and lower tier Mobo's to insure compatibility.

Closed Thread