Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

My Power Supply failed but...?

This is a discussion on My Power Supply failed but...? within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello. So I noticed there was a high-pitched noise coming from the PSU and would fade away after the PC

Closed Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 08:34 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hello. So I noticed there was a high-pitched noise coming from the PSU and would fade away after the PC was on for a while. As I was working on my PC, suddenly it just shut down and I haven't been able to turn it back on ever since. So I am to understand that my PSU has failed and died but my question is... has any other component inside my PC case failed too? Thank you.... Cause I want to be sure if I can replace the PSU now or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2008, 09:20 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

Unfortunately, there is no way to tell for sure unless you try those components in another computer to test them. Bad PSU units do have a way sometimes of damaging other computer components when they go. Might be a good idea to just get a new power supply and give it a try to see if anything is gone. BTW, be sure you purchase a good brand name with enough wattage to do what you need done, so you won't have to do this again soon.

If you list your specs, one of us would be happy to assist you in purchasing something that will work for you.
Old 12-19-2008, 03:15 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbleweed36 View Post
Unfortunately, there is no way to tell for sure unless you try those components in another computer to test them. Bad PSU units do have a way sometimes of damaging other computer components when they go. Might be a good idea to just get a new power supply and give it a try to see if anything is gone. BTW, be sure you purchase a good brand name with enough wattage to do what you need done, so you won't have to do this again soon.

If you list your specs, one of us would be happy to assist you in purchasing something that will work for you.
Well first off thank you for replying and I apologize for being late, been kinda busy lately. Anyways, this is what it says on the PSU tag:

Code:
MODEL NO: FSP315-60PNA-E (PF)
AC Input: 220V-230V~, 4A, 50-60Hz
MAX Output Power: 315W
Do you need more information?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2008, 03:19 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

Tell us what the specs of the rest of your rig and then we can tell you what you need. Be sure to include the video card you are using.
Old 12-19-2008, 05:10 PM   #5
Registered Member

OK I am not really sure how exactly to check the specs of my PSU but my video card is ATI Radeon X600 Series 256MB.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:42 PM   #6
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

what are you running
video card
cpu
m/board
ram
power supply
brand
wattage

check the listings in the bios for voltages and temperatures and post them

this will give you what is in it

https://www.cpuid.com/pcwizard.php

Old 12-20-2008, 07:14 AM   #7
Registered Member

OK:

ATI Radeon X600 (RV380 Pro) video card 256 MB DDR +TV-out
Name: ATI Radeon X600 Pro
Type: 2D/3D Video Card
Manufacturer Chipset: ATI

Motherboard:

Gigabyte GA-8I915PM
Sunshine (GA-8I915PM Ver 1.1)
Name: Sunshine (GA-8I915PM Ver 1.1)
Type: µATX motherboard
Manufacturer: Gigabyte

CPU:

Manufacturer Intel
Type Pentium 4 (Prescott, 90 nm)
Model SL7PY
Clock Speed 3.4 GHz
Front Bus Speed 800 MHz
Cache 1024 kB
Socket LGA 775
Stepping core E0
Maximum temperature 68°C
Maximum power dissipation 84 W
Supported features:
* Hyper Threading
* xD bit (enables hardware Data Execution Prevention in Windows XP with SP2)

RAM:

2X512MB DDR RAM (1GB)

PSU:

The brand is FSP Group Inc.
MODEL NO: FSP315-60PNA-E (PF)
AC Input: 220V-230V~, 4A, 50-60Hz
MAX Output Power: 315W

OK need anything else?
Old 12-20-2008, 07:33 AM   #8
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

pcie you need to be up here
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...corsair%2b550w

Old 12-20-2008, 09:30 AM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dai View Post
Are you sure that's compatible with my PC? Well thanks anyways for you answer!

Edit: Oh btw, the power cord is american, I live in europe and I just need a compatible PSU, I dont care about brand/quality, just wanna get my PC up and running again safely. THank you again
Old 12-20-2008, 10:00 AM   #10
TSF Team, Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0ldpr0xy View Post
I dont care about brand/quality.
Please rethink what you are saying here. Poor quality power supplies are what burns up your other computer components. It makes no sense to save ten buck buying a cheap power supply and then having to spend two hundred dollars replacing memory and motherboard....or even more.
Old 12-20-2008, 10:48 AM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbleweed36 View Post
Please rethink what you are saying here. Poor quality power supplies are what burns up your other computer components. It makes no sense to save ten buck buying a cheap power supply and then having to spend two hundred dollars replacing memory and motherboard....or even more.

OK well I just need a compatible PSU that will support my PC for running it again?
Old 12-21-2008, 09:20 AM   #12
Registered Member

Well, can anyone help?
Old 12-21-2008, 09:49 AM   #13
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

post 8

Old 12-21-2008, 10:29 AM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dai View Post
post 8
post 9

Tumbleweed36, I didn't come here for you to tell me that I need to rethink about buying good quality/brand PSU's... All I asked for is just a simple PSU that will support my PC again. Thank you but no thanks about the tip on reminding me about buying GOOD quality PSU's.
Old 12-21-2008, 12:16 PM   #15
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via AIM to magnethead

enjoy paying for new components every 2 years.
Old 12-21-2008, 12:32 PM   #16
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
post 9

Tumbleweed36, I didn't come here for you to tell me that I need to rethink about buying good quality/brand PSU's... All I asked for is just a simple PSU that will support my PC again. Thank you but no thanks about the tip on reminding me about buying GOOD quality PSU's.
Then what did you come here for? ... You don't need these people... Just take your attitude and go purchase some junk. The people that have given you advice here are some of the best that you will find. Personally I have found that it pays to listen to them.
Old 12-21-2008, 12:34 PM   #17
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Net Jockey View Post
Then what did you come here for? Just take your attitude and go purchase some junk... You don't need these people...The people that have given you advice here are some of the best that you will find. Personally I have found that pays to listen to them.

Tumbleweed gave me advice, not answer. I'm here looking for answers not advice... I dont need advice from people telling me what brand to buy or the quality of the product. All I asked was ANY compatible PSU for my PC! Even if I have to buy every 2 weeks, its my problem.
Old 12-21-2008, 03:39 PM   #18
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via AIM to magnethead

Quote:
just wanna get my PC up and running again safely.
We are only here to give you advise. We are not buying components for you, however, be aware that we do not endorse certain brands and/or models due to known quality defects. You may choose to purchase a unit that we don't reccomend, but you have been warned that PSU's are known to take out entire systems (and/or cause sparks and/or trip breakers and/or cause fires) when they expire.
Old 12-21-2008, 05:01 PM   #19
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnethead View Post
We are only here to give you advise. We are not buying components for you, however, be aware that we do not endorse certain brands and/or models due to known quality defects. You may choose to purchase a unit that we don't reccomend, but you have been warned that PSU's are known to take out entire systems (and/or cause sparks and/or trip breakers and/or cause fires) when they expire.

I never said I wanted you to buy me components... All I need is some basic info about a mediocre PSU that will support my PC. That is, when I walk into a PC store, I tell them that information you provide and I'll just choose the top model. Thus, I'm not ordering online that is why I need info so I can buy it here locally. Thank you again.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:55 AM   #20
TSF Team, Emeritus

Quote:
I never said I wanted you to buy me components... All I need is some basic info about a mediocre PSU that will support my PC. That is, when I walk into a PC store, I tell them that information you provide and I'll just choose the top model. Thus, I'm not ordering online that is why I need info so I can buy it here locally. Thank you again.
Just to clear up the issue. We don't actually want you to purchase something that is of low quality. We want you to purchase a quality supply that will work for you. I know quality supplies are higher priced, but we did not purposely mention any super-high priced units, just the normal price of a quality supply.

There was nothing written by me that was intended to offend you, but my comments were simply to help you. If you took this another way, I apologize for that. No offense intended.

Members of the Hardware Team simply do not recommend mediocre PSU units (as you requested above) on Tech Support Forum, because they can damage your other computer parts. We don't want you buying something that will burn out in a few weeks and then you have to purchase again for the same issue. I hope that clears up why we said what we did.

We hope you get the rig up and running and it works well for you. Good luck and again, accept our apology for any misunderstanding of what we were saying!
Closed Thread