Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

Monitor (?) problems following RAM install

This is a discussion on Monitor (?) problems following RAM install within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My husband and I thought we'd be nice and help my cousins upgrade the RAM in their computer... pretty straightforward!

Closed Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 11:54 AM   #1

Confused

My husband and I thought we'd be nice and help my cousins upgrade the RAM in their computer... pretty straightforward! They have a Dell Dimension 4550 series with the standard 256 MB SDRAM. The motherboard will handle up to 1 GB, so we got 2 new 512 MB sticks and installed them. Following install, the computer makes all the nice boot-up sounds, but the monitor stays in standby (yellow light). Tried putting the original memory stick back in, and same problem.

Unhooking the monitor from the PC causes the monitor to show the "no signal detected" message, so seems it's detecting something when it's connected.

We have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the video card as well as the battery on the motherboard. Also tried disconnecting drives and booting up computer... no luck.

There are no beeps when the computer boots up and the 4 diagnostic lights on the back of the tower do not light up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Dell Dimension 4550 series PC with standard everything
Video Card: nVidia GeForce4 MX
new memory: Kingston 512 MB DDR PC2700 333 MHz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2008, 01:52 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Are you able to try another Monitor?
Old 12-20-2008, 03:47 PM   #3

Tried another monitor and no luck. We are in the process of obtaining a new video card to see if that might help. Not sure what would have happened to the video card, but it's worth a try.
Closed Thread