Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

Memtest86 Black Screen

This is a discussion on Memtest86 Black Screen within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hiya! So, for a very long time now, I've seen an increasing number of issues with my computer. Other than

Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2016, 04:06 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hiya!

So, for a very long time now, I've seen an increasing number of issues with my computer. Other than my motherboard's ethernet and Wi-Fi/Bluetooth only working after several strenuous driver re-installations, and at that the Wi-Fi/Bluetooth working about 20% of the time and little support from MSI support, I am now wondering if I'm also having a RAM issue.

I tested my RAM a while back, but every time I would run memtest86 overnight, I would turn on my screen and be presented with a black screen, and no way to actually see what's going on.
Last night, I updated my memtest version and still have the same black screen issue.

Now, I have been in a not-getting-away-this-time mood lately, and I am more determined than ever to fix my game crashes. I have already tried using 1 stick at a time and changing the DIMM slots of my 2 stacks, yet to no avail.

Now, for the juicy stuff. Here are my PC specs:

CPU: i7-5960x, OC @ 4.2GHz (Watercooled)
Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 9 ACK
GPU: EVGA GTX 980Ti ACX2.0+ OC
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB DDR4 @2440MHz
Drive 1 (OS): Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD
Drive 2: Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD
Drive 3: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD
Drive 4: Seagate 2TB Hybrid
PSU: Corsair HX850i

As for the overclocked CPU, stress tests (prime95/Linx) don't see any issues, so stability-wise, I feel safe to call it fine. For the RAM, I feel this should go without saying, but I have of course tried it without its overclock; nothing changes.

I have yet to try memtest86 with one stick at a time, but because I've seen only one other thread describing my issue and the issue not even being with the RAM but rather with the power supply, I decided I'll go ahead and see what you guys think first and will most likely do it later tonight anyway.

Appreciate any help you can give!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2016, 07:23 AM   #2
Moderator, Editor, Articles Team

My System

Hiya,

First of all, we should make sure you are running Memtest86, not to be confused with Memtest86+. Having the plus sign at the end is unfortunate, in that it makes people think its a better version of the same program.

Not so, as indicated in our older article, How to perform a MemTest86+ Test - Tech Support Forum

Quote:
Please note that MemTest86+ has not been updated for over two years and is now thought to be outdated.
The link below is the one you want, please check through it to make sure you are running it properly.

How to perform a MemTest86 Test - Tech Support Forum

Quote:
I have yet to try memtest86 with one stick at a time, but because I've seen only one other thread describing my issue and the issue not even being with the RAM but rather with the power supply,
It is certainly very important that you test with one stick at a time and also, alternate the slots.

Lastly for now, before I saw your comment, looking at your specs, I was going to advise that Corsair PSU's are not as good as they used to be and popular opinion seems to be to avoid them.

Hope this helps.

Submit New Articles Here

Help us to help you by posting your System Specs
Old 07-10-2016, 07:37 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deejay100six View Post
Hiya,

First of all, we should make sure you are running Memtest86, not to be confused with Memtest86+. Having the plus sign at the end is unfortunate, in that it makes people think its a better version of the same program.

Not so, as indicated in our older article, How to perform a MemTest86+ Test - Tech Support Forum

The link below is the one you want, please check through it to make sure you are running it properly.

How to perform a MemTest86 Test - Tech Support Forum

It is certainly very important that you test with one stick at a time and also, alternate the slots.

Lastly for now, before I saw your comment, looking at your specs, I was going to advise that Corsair PSU's are not as good as they used to be and popular opinion seems to be to avoid them.

Hope this helps.
Thank you for your response.

I am indeed using Memtest86 and will post an update for the stick-by-stick diagnosis once I have completed it. For awareness, in the case that I am to get a black screen on both sticks with different slots, what would be your solution?

On the continuous side note, what are your thoughts on SilverStone and EVGA power supply units? Do you have any experience with them?
What brands would you recommend?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2016, 07:50 AM   #4

My System

SilverStone? Not heard of them.

I have an EVGA myself and it will do for my incredibly old machine but, if not for my impatience, I would have researched further.

Popular choice here at TSF at this time are XFX and Seasonic.

https://www.techsupportforum.com/foru...-a-668661.html

Edit; I'm still looking at the black screen issue.

Submit New Articles Here

Old 07-10-2016, 08:01 AM   #5

My System

When it black screens, do you hear any beeps? (Assuming you have a system speaker connected)

Submit New Articles Here

Old 07-10-2016, 09:25 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
When it black screens, do you hear any beeps? (Assuming you have a system speaker connected)
Unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to tell you, as I use a headset which is turned off while I am asleep; the time period of which I run the tests. I could, however, make sure my headset stays on with loud volume so that I can perhaps hear it.
What would a symptom such as this represent?

Quote:
SilverStone? Not heard of them.

I have an EVGA myself and it will do for my incredibly old machine but, if not for my impatience, I would have researched further.

Popular choice here at TSF at this time are XFX and Seasonic.

TSF Hardware Team's Recommended Builds - 2016

Are the parts on those lists (well, specifically the PSUs) placed on there due to amiable experiences or just from a budget standpoint?
Old 07-10-2016, 10:50 AM   #7
Networking Team |Tech

Hi there,

When it comes to power supply brands, check out "SEASONIC". Seasonic is a pretty good brand when it comes to power supplies.

Also, try running your CPU speeds at default speed and then try running the Memtest86 overnight again. see if the same issue happens.

Old 07-10-2016, 12:08 PM   #8
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

There is a sort of prejudice here for Seasonic psus and that includes XFX and Antec HCG units but I doubt anyone canj deny Serasonic are considered the best by most techs anyway but there are other good quality ones. 550 watts and over EVGA are made by Super Flower which are also real good quality and Enermax is excellent quality IMHO as I have always had good service with Thermaltake units as well.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Old 07-11-2016, 03:41 AM   #9
Registered Member

Update:

So, prior to the test, I re-installed the free version of Memtest86 on my USB drive out of principal, I cleared my CMOS (to revert all overclocks back to default) removed a stick and moved the remaining stick to a different DIMM slot.

This morning, the black screen was once again there.

What are your thoughts so far?
Is it possible that there's some sort of power saving feature within my motherboard/other components that could be doing this? I've never heard of something like this, but hey, I might as well throw my ideas out there.

As for the second stick of RAM, I'll be testing it tonight, also in a different slot than last night's.
Old 07-12-2016, 01:10 AM   #10
Registered Member

Update #2:

Prior to this test, I switched out the RAM sticks and changed the DIMM slot, unplugged all unnecessary USB devices (once again out of principal) and also left my monitor on during the duration of the test.

The result: There was no black screen and not a single error. Screenshots below.

I will test the first RAM stick in the same DIMM slot as the second one tonight.

Tonight I will be doing the same with the first RAM stick in the same DIMM slot as last night.
Old 07-15-2016, 03:25 AM   #11
Registered Member

After furthing testing the past few nights, I have come to the conclusion that black screens only occur when my USB devices remain plugged in to the system.

What are your thoughts? Do you already have an idea as to what's going on or would you like me to further diagnose the situation and find out which of these devices is causing the issue?
Old 07-15-2016, 07:58 AM   #12
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

I think I would try to see if one particular device is causing the problem....

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Closed Thread