Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

Memory going from 4gb to 8gb help

This is a discussion on Memory going from 4gb to 8gb help within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. First of all here are my specs: Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit (fresh Install all drivers updated) Motherboard: Gigabyte

Closed Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 08:27 AM   #1
Registered Member

My System

First of all here are my specs:

Operating System:
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit (fresh Install all drivers updated)

Motherboard: Gigabyte EG43M-S2H (1.0)

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @3.0ghz

RAM(Currently Installed):
Kingston 2x2gb KVR800D2N5K2/4G (4gb Total)

Gfx Card:
Zotac Nvidia Ge-Force 9800 GTX+

Power Supply: AcePower 530W

-----------------------------------------------

Ok So I purchased more RAM for my PC Exact same RAM that is in it Mo # KVR800D2N5K2/4G with only one slight difference they are low profile chips(smaller then the original style) My goal is to obviously upgrade to 8GB. My Motherboard has 4 Memory slots total and supports 8gb of RAM. Currently my setup is:

Slot1: 2GB Original RAM
Slot 2: Empty
Slot 3: 2GB Original RAM
Slot 4: Empty

Slot1: 2GB New Low Profile RAM
Slot 2: Empty
Slot 3: 2GB New Low Profile RAM
Slot 4: Empty

Both of these Setups work so none of the chips are faulty

So onto my Upgrade:

Slot 2: 2GB New Low Profile RAM
Slot 3: 2GB Original RAM
Slot 4: 2GB New Low Profile RAM

Slot 2: 2GB Original RAM
Slot 3: 2GB New Low Profile RAM
Slot 4: 2GB New Low Profile RAM

and vice-versa

With all the RAM installed My computer spins up, monitor gives no response, and shuts down within 30s-1m. Return to original setup everything is fine.

Things I have tried:
Every possible arrangement with the RAM
I have Flashed my BIOS to ever available Version and now at the latest and still nothing new.

Please again note it is the exact same RAM only difference is the newer ones are just a new design.

More specifically all for RAM chips share the same specs of : 4GB PC2 - 6400 CL5 240 -PIN DDR2

Here Are a Few Links:
Code:
Motherboard:
https://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/Manual_Model.aspx?ProductID=2878#anchor_os

RAM:
https://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configurator_new/partsinfo.asp?root=&LinkBack=&ktcpartno=KVR800D2N5K2/4G&id=8
If You need more info let me know!

Any insight would be amazing and Have a Merry X-Mas Everyone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2009, 06:10 PM   #2
Registered Member

My System

bumpp

there is srsly no one who even has a thought on what i could try
Old 12-24-2009, 06:37 PM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

My System

If I could click on the link, I'd go to Kingston and get the ram specs. Often, running four sticks needs a voltage increase, but not higher than the manufacturer's rated maximum. Check with Kingston for that model, then check your bios and see if there is any room to raise the vdimm without exceeding the spec.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2009, 07:23 PM   #4
Emeritus

As noted by grimx133, filling all the RAM slots can cause Voltage issues. 4GB of RAM is enough. There are no apps or games than can use/benefit from more than 4GB.
Your money would be better spent on replacing the AcePower PSU with a Seasonic or Corsair unit.

Old 12-25-2009, 10:36 PM   #5
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimx133 View Post
If I could click on the link, I'd go to Kingston and get the ram specs. Often, running four sticks needs a voltage increase, but not higher than the manufacturer's rated maximum. Check with Kingston for that model, then check your bios and see if there is any room to raise the vdimm without exceeding the spec.

Clock Cycle Time (tCK) CL=5 2.5ns (min.) / 8ns (max.)
Row Cycle Time (tRC) 60ns (min.)
Refresh to Active/Refresh Command Time (tRFC) 127.5ns
Row Active Time (tRAS) 38ns (min.) / 70,000ns (max.)
Single Power Supply of +1.8V (+/- .1V)
Power 1.985 W (operating per module)
UL Rating 94 V - 0

so looking at the above information off of the spec sheet what would i be using as my voltage?

would it be 7.2v for all 4 sticks?

Bios is currently set to 1.8v
Old 12-25-2009, 11:04 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

My System

The vdimm you see in your bios is per stick. Since the specs you posted say +/- .1, I'd try to raise your voltage to 1.9v. and see if it will boot with four sticks then. Don't go over that voltage, ram is quite sensitive to voltage, so exceeding whatever the manufacturer says is never a good plan.

You can also try relaxing the timings a notch, if the the bios lists 4-4-4-12, then loosen them to 5-5-5-18.

Running two kits and filling all slots, may just not work with your board/ram combination.
Mixing and matching ram is hit and miss, even two kits with identical part numbers, and
purchased at different times, can have problems. The manufacturers get the actual ram
chips from their suppliers, and those chips can be different, or even just from a different
lot, while still have the same model. Ram can be very picky.

If it doesn't run with a very slight voltage increase, or looser timings, I can't think of
anything else to try.
Old 12-26-2009, 08:35 PM   #7
Registered Member

My System

Gave it a shot and same results actually semi-frightening story set it to 1.9 and then installed the ram which is a process of removing the 9800gtx+ as well lol so i put everything back together and i get no post i hook up my monitor to my mainboard gpu and it starts working go into bios to set it back and it says overclocking settings have disrupted boot settings so i set it back but my 9800 still wasn't working or being detected. At this point i'm freaking cause its the main reason i use my pc, which is for gaming lol. so today i go for one more look in there and there are 2 plugs at the bottom of the mobo for the gpu, gnd and spdif i think and one was only halfway on so needless to say it is working now (phew) but still no Ram upgrade and i went back to 1.8v.

I am taking it to the guy who built my pc he says he will set it all up for me and i would rather not screw with it anymore just in case i cause perm dmg -.-

thanks for your help :)
Closed Thread